What is Formula Sketch?

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: What is Formula Sketch?

N12ck wrote:Hi,
I ran openfoam Cfd, I had made massive improvements according to openfoam,
And how do you know that you yourself did everything correct in the software?
it is a game yes, however It is better people know that it is not realistic in any way before entering,
Anyone who thinks it is actually realistic should really need to check their brains.
my side pods were small but the championship didn't tell me to change them,
And your point is? Does that actually give you the right to complain about the others size when yours are actually much, much worse off.
just like they allowed illegal cars to race,
That has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at all
If I couldn't get a good enough Cfd result due to fasitization as you pointed out, how are their results any better than mine?
'It is a game bla bla bla and I go beserk when I cant win bla bla bla' Just earlier in this post you stated it as 'just being a game' and agreeing with me, Now you once again, for the 50th time, cry about how unfair it is that you didnt improve.
I think it's better we all accept the whole thing is unrealistic , not run properly and yes my cars side pods were overly small I accepted that,
Everyone accepts it as unrealistic and as a game except for you. Now you only use it as an excuse.
and CFD development will not make a difference to the 'judges' opinions/ result whatsoever, and I think that we can put this to bed now, :D
No one, apart from you, actually complained about it in the first place.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

N12ck

Everyone accepts it as unrealistic and as a game
When I entered it, I was told this was not a game but a championship which was analysed properly, which I discovered subsequently it is not.
Last edited by Richard on 10 Jun 2012, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Handbag swinging removed
Budding F1 Engineer

FormulaSketch

And one thing you need to understand Nick is that just because you think your car works etc does NOT mean it does.
Last edited by Richard on 10 Jun 2012, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Handbag swinging removed
Follow Formula Sketch on Twitter!

Visit our website
2013 registration opening soon! #FS13!

N12ck

FormulaSketch wrote:And one thing you need to understand Nick is that just because you think your car works etc does NOT mean it does.
I don't know if my car works I have never said that it did, but I know when an improvement had been made in aerodynamics due to CFD,

how did you know that my car had got slower without CFD?
Budding F1 Engineer

Richard
Richard

Please don't get personal.

Please do illuminate us curious technical folk about how "Formula Sketch" works. How do you judge the car's aero and mechanical performance?

wesley123
wesley123

N12ck wrote: I don't know if my car works I have never said that it did, but I know when an improvement had been made in aerodynamics due to CFD,

Who says they know anything? It is rated by a person, who thinks it was worse, doesnt matter if there is CFD or not. Plus, didnt you say it was just a game two posts ago?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

N12ck

wesley123 wrote:
N12ck wrote: I don't know if my car works I have never said that it did, but I know when an improvement had been made in aerodynamics due to CFD,

Who says they know anything? It is rated by a person, who thinks it was worse, doesnt matter if there is CFD or not. Plus, didnt you say it was just a game two posts ago?
you have summed it all up nicely in what you have said,
:D
Budding F1 Engineer

MemroableC
MemroableC

wesley123 wrote:
N12ck wrote:Hi,
I ran openfoam Cfd, I had made massive improvements according to openfoam,
And how do you know that you yourself did everything correct in the software?
Its not a hard software to learn how to use. Just out of some peoples scopes because it only runs on linux at the moment.

FormulaSketch

richard_leeds wrote:Please don't get personal.

Please do illuminate us curious technical folk about how "Formula Sketch" works. How do you judge the car's aero and mechanical performance?
We have a deidcated thread on this website on how Formula Sketch works and must people commenting are in Formula Sketch so know how it works but I will explain it anyway.

You design your own F1 car using any form of 3D CAD (we advise Google Sketchup). You then design a livery, pick drivers and are given sponsors depending on your team status. These are used for our media sites such as videos which can be found on our YouTube channel. Driver's talent is taken into consideration as well as the mechanical performance. You then submit your car to us via the 'Paddock’ of a Thursday we then run a custom made CFD plugin on Google Sketchup and openfoam of the cars not using Sketchup with a custom conversation tool made by one of our staff (the conversation tool will NEVER be realised to public BUT plugin will be to all 2013 FS teams. ) From the data we get as well as data values for drivers we then run 4 1 hour simulates (this is down to computer crashes etc) the results are then exported and matched up with the database values with names, teams and times etc. Weather is a factor. For 2013 we will be running a live driver tracker but that will be explained in more death at a later depth. I hope this has helped your understanding and I will be happy to answer any questions ANYONE has.

Visit our website

N12ck

FormulaSketch wrote:

We have a deidcated thread on this website on how Formula Sketch works and must people commenting are in Formula Sketch so know how it works but I will explain it anyway.

You design your own F1 car using any form of 3D CAD (we advise Google Sketchup). You then design a livery, pick drivers and are given sponsors depending on your team status. These are used for our media sites such as videos which can be found on our YouTube channel. Driver's talent is taken into consideration as well as the mechanical performance. You then submit your car to us via the 'Paddock’ of a Thursday we then run a custom made CFD plugin on Google Sketchup and openfoam of the cars not using Sketchup with a custom conversation tool made by one of our staff (the conversation tool will NEVER be realised to public BUT plugin will be to all 2013 FS teams. ) From the data we get as well as data values for drivers we then run 4 1 hour simulates (this is down to computer crashes etc) the results are then exported and matched up with the database values with names, teams and times etc. Weather is a factor. For 2013 we will be running a live driver tracker but that will be explained in more death at a later depth. I hope this has helped your understanding and I will be happy to answer any questions ANYONE has.
I can tell you the simulations on my car on a 4 core computer with 16gb of ram takes 2-3 full days of running, so it does take a lot of power on a pc (even on sketchup models), aside from that you still haven't named the plugin, also how big is the mesh your using on these cars if you really are using CFD? saying it doesnt require a powerful pc is rubbish,

also on another note, its funny, I say I used openfoam ages ago, and you say 'we use a different program to you which is why the results are different' and yet now you say you use openfoam,,,,

so I think everyone can see through this whole thing now, it is a guessed game, with no CFD and you cannot answer what conditions are used....
Budding F1 Engineer

FormulaSketch

N12ck wrote:
FormulaSketch wrote:

I can tell you the simulations on my car on a 4 core computer with 16gb of ram takes 2-3 full days of running, so it does take a lot of power on a pc (even on sketchup models), aside from that you still haven't named the plugin, also how big is the mesh your using on these cars if you really are using CFD? saying it doesnt require a powerful pc is rubbish,

also on another note, its funny, I say I used openfoam ages ago, and you say 'we use a different program to you which is why the results are different' and yet now you say you use openfoam,,,,

so I think everyone can see through this whole thing now, it is a guessed game, with no CFD and you cannot answer what conditions are used....
Dude STOP! Why are you doing this, everything I have said above it true and a 4 core pc with 16gb of ram... No wonder it took so long, you said it was a good computer that is not a good computer dude and a powerful pc for me would be a 64gb pc with a built in Linux sever port. And yes at that time we did use a different program we are changing a lot like I said before. The plugin is made for us so that is why we would not. And no its not guessed like I have told you hundreds of times before and I have answered every question I have seen tonight.

Visit our website

N12ck

as I said on the other thread lets leave it at that now, I wont agree with you, and you wont agree with me, so lets agree to disagree and leave it at that for the sake of the forum,
Budding F1 Engineer

Tim.Wright

FormulaSketch wrote:I hope this has helped your understanding and I will be happy to answer any questions ANYONE has.
I have been dying to ask. How do you asses mechanical grip? Ive seen some cars with horrible supension geometry and there seems to be no requirement to specify even basic vertical and roll rates. So I came to the conclusion that it was just a cfd competition.

Yes its another complicationto add to your model but if the only development path you allow is aerodynamic, then you are always going to end up with a CFD arms race.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

FormulaSketch

Tim.Wright wrote:
FormulaSketch wrote:I hope this has helped your understanding and I will be happy to answer any questions ANYONE has.
I have been dying to ask. How do you asses mechanical grip? Ive seen some cars with horrible supension geometry and there seems to be no requirement to specify even basic vertical and roll rates. So I came to the conclusion that it was just a cfd competition.

Yes its another complicationto add to your model but if the only development path you allow is aerodynamic, then you are always going to end up with a CFD arms race.

Tim
This year we have not took mechanical grip into huge consideration but of course we have not ignored it, next year depending on people’s views we might change this rule.

Visit our website

krisfx
krisfx

I'd love to get hold of the cad file with the regulation boxes in, as I'm trying to develop something like this throughout my second year to help with my placement ^_^ does that mean registering and having to compete? I'd also be interested to hear from you guys who've designed these cars in regards to the design process :)

Also Nick, maybe you should do more listening on these forums instead of just spouting the first thing that comes to your head.
They are here for people to learn and share intelligent and technical conversation, not for you to vent about how bad something is because you can't win at it. If you have no decent advice to give, then please keep it to yourself, as you actually tarnish the appeal of FS to newcomers with your endless drivel about random things.