The curious case of Jenson Button

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: The curious case of Jenson Button

Button always stated he isn the best at qualy, but he's mighty where it counts; race day, where the points are given.
Take a look at his points score for this year and there you go again. Button is always there. He's guaranteed performer,
even though he's not as mindblazingly superior to the general driver like hamilton, alonso.
Still, Jenson has had a good level fight with Hammy which surprised many. He could put up a good fight against alonso, too
remember?
There is no doubt about Jenson's capabilities, and from all drivers he'd deserve a good racing seat just as much as lewis and fernando. I rate him much higher than Nico.

Jenson keeps the cool and doesnt become hotheaded, instead, he reads the race and turns it into his advantage. That is top quality and heś shown amazing drives. Remember canada? from the back to the win? just to name one?

Anyway iḿ accostumed that there are multiple JB-haters over here, which i think is sad because above all drivers, JB doesnt deserve any hating - heś a very genuine bloke and a very friendly amicable person. He has that playboy flair over him and is mentally strong. He has a gorgeous girl and a top-level lifestyle. I think itś jealousy that we're reading here.

anyway, i think the problem with JB is he's facing the end of his career - naturally. That is one issue, but the extra issue is heś become a WDC so that hunger is gone, and he basicaly isnt so hungry for a 2nd WDC title compared to how Alonso wants his 3rd. Jenson enjoys racing, and is hoping for some wins. Heś ben @ mclaren for a while now and itś starting to get a routine there. Like Nando is accostumed to not getting his title at ferrari, Button is getting accostumed to not winning at Mclaren.

Frankly, I dont see another seat for Button other than Ferrari - but they dont have space for him. His experience and quality would be beneficial (i dont get how people can say he cant set up a car and can only back it up because theyre riding a dog of a car for 2 years now. if he couldnt set up that car, why does he have loads more points then his teammate and how could he be a master in the rain and varying circumstances)

anyway, im a JB fan and i like the bloke.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Alain Frost
Alain Frost

JimClarkFan wrote:Looks like jenson could be facing his last year in formula 1.

My question is, if jenson was at Mercedes, how well do you think he would be performing... Better than Rosberg? Better than Hamilton?

Button didn't have the pace of Hamilton, but he was very competitive on a Sunday.
I don't believe Button could live with the 2014 version of Hamilton or Rosberg. When Button was at McLaren with Hamilton he had a whole decades worth of experience and race craft against Hamilton's three or so years. Button was probably at his peak.

I agree with Lauda, Mansell and others who say that Hamilton is a far better driver now than he was then, as he gained experience. The McLaren Hamilton just had pace. The Mercedes Hamilton is a far more complete driver and probably learnt a whole lot from Jenson.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Alain Frost wrote:

My question is, if jenson was at Mercedes, how well do you think he would be performing... Better than Rosberg? Better than Hamilton?

Button didn't have the pace of Hamilton, but he was very competitive on a Sunday.
I don't believe Button could live with the 2014 version of Hamilton or Rosberg. When Button was at McLaren with Hamilton he had a whole decades worth of experience and race craft against Hamilton's three or so years. Button was probably at his peak.

I agree with Lauda, Mansell and others who say that Hamilton is a far better driver now than he was then, as he gained experience. The McLaren Hamilton just had pace. The Mercedes Hamilton is a far more complete driver and probably learnt a whole lot from Jenson.
I don't agree with any of that. Lewis had a bad year in 2011, but I can't point to any season where he was a bad driver or had poor race craft. From his very first season Lewis had the whole package.

What former racer drivers turn pundits do is lavish praise on the guy who is the current winner. I don't think Lewis is driving any better than anytime previously in his career personally. It's just that he is the guy on top, and as usual, and as what happened when Vettel won, people start talking about how is some unbelievable driver - I point out, hold on, he was always a good driver he just now has the car.

I'm just not buying this, Jenson was at his peak, and Lewis wasn't im afraid

mrluke
mrluke

Over the 2012 season and excluding DNFs JBs average starting position was 6.2 and is average finish was 6.89

Over the 2013 season and excluding DNFs JBs average starting position was 10.47 and average finish was 9.11

I am not convinced that really the supports the "not so good at qualy but great in the race" you could even argue that for the 2013 season starting 11th on the grid gave an advantage of tyre strategy that earned him one extra position during the race.

On the other hand you could say that due to a poor qualy performance the strength of the car came through on race day and gained the place.

Unfortunately for the 2012 season JB finished on average a place lower than he qualified.

Gaz.
Gaz.

Unfortunately for JB, Mercs idea of parity means that though they are free to race, the lead car gets first dibs on pitstops and Merc want them to run the same strategies if possible. That is a huge dent in JB's arsenal as his qualifying means that he would most likely be starting from behind his team mate if the drivers are left to their own devices (ie no fires, brake failures).
Forza Jules

Alain Frost
Alain Frost

JimClarkFan wrote:
Alain Frost wrote:

I don't agree with any of that. Lewis had a bad year in 2011, but I can't point to any season where he was a bad driver or had poor race craft. From his very first season Lewis had the whole package.

What former racer drivers turn pundits do is lavish praise on the guy who is the current winner. I don't think Lewis is driving any better than anytime previously in his career personally. It's just that he is the guy on top, and as usual, and as what happened when Vettel won, people start talking about how is some unbelievable driver - I point out, hold on, he was always a good driver he just now has the car.

I'm just not buying this, Jenson was at his peak, and Lewis wasn't im afraid
C'mon. I am not knocking Jenson, who I rate as a very good driver, but you can't buy experience. If you are not a better driver in eight years than you were in three then you have learnt nothing. To say Lewis is the same driver now as he was in 2010 is just not right. That guy many use to call "erratic" and a "bit wild" now thinks a bit more.

Any driver that sticks around in the sport long enough is always seeking to improve himself. Sometimes the machinery underneath makes this difficult but that doesn't mean they are not becoming better drivers.

You are free to think what you want and I respect your opinion but I don't agree with it.

The reality is that if Jenson is so good I am sure someone will give him a drive next year. If not it is obvious that they do not think that highly of him or that he is worth the money.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

thing is, i can imagine JB being 'left in the cold' because well, there isn a place for him anymore, and though i'd really be bummed about it because i genuinly think JB is a great driver, it's partly due to his own fault.

Again, JB doesn't seem to have much '2nd wdc title' hunger going on, so he's somewhat shooting himself in the foot there -
before and during the 2009 season he still didn't have that 1st title and his 'hunger' for it was big. He grabbed any chance he
could get to do the most and get the most out of any opportunity given to him.

Then, he got the opportunity to head out for Mclaren - who wouldnt want that (back then)?! Mclaren sought a strong and capable 2nd driver, who was able to improve the lineup - essentially help lewis a bit, and help the team because he could do more then his predecessors -, which for Button meant a interesting 'exciting' opportunity to 'compete' against Lewis in comparable material. He did a very decent job at that, and now that possibility is gone (since 2013).

So Button was left without the teammate with whom he obviously had a friendly and amicable pairing (no clashes like nico and lewis, despite some contacts), and was the guy he wants to beat. Instead, a fresh driver came into the team but there was no real harmony (perez). Then due to contractual blunders a complete rookie joined macca. Meanwhile, the entire scene @mclaren has flipped. Ron back at the helm, Whitmarsh disappeared (what happened), Bouillier appeared - Honda announced a partnership and the Mclaren F1 cars were absolute dogs for the past 2 years.

Seems to me Button lost his 'drive' (motivation) along the way.....which in the end result could very well result in actually losing the drive for Mclaren.

Problem is, I don't see too much possbilities for JB to regain that 'drive' or motivation at another team. I could only think of Ferrari, but there are just 2 seats to fill (perhaps 3) and i don't believe one of them is offered.

Furthermore, I think the loss of his father John Button has played a big part in his current state of mind or personality.
His father really was his best buddy and it was fun to see, as his dad was a loyal and enthusiastic supporter. Now that is gone,
I feel a part of 'support' is missing, too.

A 'new opportunity' would do JB good i think so a seat at WEC or LeMans might be a good option, like Webber did.

I'd really like to see JB going for another title, but frankly i don't see that happen.
I maintain he deserved that 2009 championship despite running in a privilidgedly competetive car, but i don't think he would
have won that championship if Lewis or Alonso was in the same car. But thatś because Alonso and Lewis are insanely fast.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

marcush.
marcush.

Alain Frost wrote:

you can obviously pick the facts as they fit -but then Lewis gave Alonso serious headache in his debut season ,so if anythings the lack of experience showed in his debut year .When Jenson arrived in Woking it was pretty much Lewis backyard he entered...and boy he did well ....better than most of us were willling to give him credit for .
Against Magnussen and Perez he seems to lack blistering pace -but you only have to look on the championship table to see the difference...the guy just delivers .He beat checo ,he beat Kevin ..and he was right there with Hamilton when the points were all distributed..
Button is not a spectacular driver most of the time -but then if you take a closer look -he is one of the best racers out there and you have to kick him out to get a dnf ....did the guy ever throw away a car in a race by himself?

jensons top 10 drives for Mclaren according to himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWwncNtMupE

adrianjordan

If Jenson does leave McLaren to make way for Alonso then it will be the second time in his career that he has made way for the Spaniard. In 2002 Renault F1 announced that it would be moving Button aside to give Alonso his seat in 2003.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

PlatinumZealot

PlatinumZealot wrote:I rate Jenson higher than Nico to be honest.
One year has passed and I think I will reevaluate my view. Jenson was Damn good Back in 2010 to 2013... but now I think his qually pace has dropped a lot. He was always a quick qualifier in my view. 2 tenths behind HAM is nothing. He still has probably joint race-craft with 2012 to 2014 Lewis second only to Alonso. I only just slightly give Nico an edge now, only because of qualifying speed. But Jenson still will beat Nico if it comes down to racing.

It will be a waste for Mclaren to dump him. Jenson is the only reason I still follow mclaren these days.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Hail22

TK and Crofty discuss about Jenson Button' Future:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8MjVz9ziSM[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Alain Frost
Alain Frost

marcush. wrote:
Alain Frost wrote:

you can obviously pick the facts as they fit -but then Lewis gave Alonso serious headache in his debut season ,so if anythings the lack of experience showed in his debut year .When Jenson arrived in Woking it was pretty much Lewis backyard he entered...and boy he did well ....better than most of us were willling to give him credit for .
Against Magnussen and Perez he seems to lack blistering pace -but you only have to look on the championship table to see the difference...the guy just delivers .He beat checo ,he beat Kevin ..and he was right there with Hamilton when the points were all distributed..
Button is not a spectacular driver most of the time -but then if you take a closer look -he is one of the best racers out there and you have to kick him out to get a dnf ....did the guy ever throw away a car in a race by himself?

jensons top 10 drives for Mclaren according to himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWwncNtMupE
I do not disagree with you in saying he is not one of the top drivers on the grid. The facts that fit are not what you, I or anyone else outside of Formula 1 currently think of him. The facts that fit are what Ron Dennis or any other F1 CEO thinks of him to offer him a drive in a half decent car next year ( and his salary demands) if he is to stay in this particular discipline of the sport.

I will like nothing more than to see him up against Alonso but alas, the grapevine is whispering that this is unlikely.
Formula 1 seems to be all about youth this days with younger and younger teenagers turning up every year on the grid. These kids are hungry.
Does he deserves the seat at McLaren above Magnusson? I think so but that's RD's call.

You are only as good as or worth what your potential employers think you are. That is the hard fact. Not my opinion.

Personally if he leaves McLaren I would love to see him at Williams as they seem to be stepping in the right direction. Not to offend any Massa fans but him and Bottas can be formidable pairing.

Hail22

Jenson Button making comment about the silly season and how he is feeling about Formula 1 / Mclaren:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmYcqkZkfzI[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

hmmm his last comment is interesting. seems he isnt that happy at all at Mclaren. Perhaps he indeed knows they won't be winning next year......

FW17

Don't think the KM decission is quiet made; there may have been a offer to JM for the second seat with a much lower salary which I guess he says he will reject.

Personally I think if FA is signed, JB will be a distraction to car development and race preparation.