2012 British GP - Silverstone Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SchumiSutil
SchumiSutil

Re: 2012 British Grand Prix - Silverstone Circuit

SeijaKessen wrote:So while everyone is bitching about Maldonado, his slower teammate once again runs a smarter race and finishes in the points.

Say what you want about Bruno Senna, but I like the way he drives his races. He had a few not so good races this season, but overall, I think the quality of his drives are being lost on a lot of people. If his qualifying times were better, I believe we would see him in the top 6 easily.
Sorry, but his races are poor as well. This was one of the first time of the season (with China) in which he was pretty close to Maldonado in the first stint.
Even though he spent the last portion of the race behind Hulkenberg, he just kept the pressure on, then when he finally made his move, Hulkenberg couldn't stop him, and managed to take himself right off the track in a wasted defensive effort. Actually one of the best overtakes for the Grand Prix because he exhibited a ton of patience that half the field doesn't seem to have.
The Williams is twice as good as the Force India, and Hulkenberg was on struggling on softs just as Alonso. 9th is a poor result in a car that should have been at least 7th and I tinhk even fighting with Grosjean who was 20th after lap 3.

While Senna is slow (and not always consistent) Maldonado is crashing 3 GPs out of 4. That put the 4th best car P7 in the championship - I think with two strong drivers they would have 100 more points.

LHamilton
LHamilton

FrukostScones wrote:
andartop wrote:Maldonado fined and reprimanded:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101094
bizarre, now you get fined for racing incidents. edit: watched a better replay again, MAL just lost his rear, his fault but nothing to get fined for.
Well. Schumacher was given a stop-and-go penalty last year in Silverstone when he lost the car and ran into Kobayashi.

beelsebob
beelsebob

FrukostScones wrote:
andartop wrote:Maldonado fined and reprimanded:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101094
bizarre, now you get fined for racing incidents. edit: watched a better replay again, MAL just lost his rear, his fault but nothing to get fined for.
Hamilton has in the past been given drive throughs for losing the car in such circumstances.

SeijaKessen

SchumiSutil wrote:
SeijaKessen wrote:So while everyone is bitching about Maldonado, his slower teammate once again runs a smarter race and finishes in the points.

Say what you want about Bruno Senna, but I like the way he drives his races. He had a few not so good races this season, but overall, I think the quality of his drives are being lost on a lot of people. If his qualifying times were better, I believe we would see him in the top 6 easily.
Sorry, but his races are poor as well. This was one of the first time of the season (with China) in which he was pretty close to Maldonado in the first stint.
He's clearly doing something right to be scoring points.

I sort of equate him to the turtle and the hare. You pay little attention to him, but he works his way through the field slow and steady. There's an absence of flashy driving, or sensational driving from him, so he gets overlooked by and large. People just continue to bitch about him. He's a capable #2 driver as far as I am concerned. Consider that he misses 1 practice session due to Bottas, and still manages to score points. Honestly, no other driver on the grid has to give up their seat routinely every race weekend save for a few select races. I know it was part of the contract, but it's ludicrous as far as I am concerned. If anything I have felt that in light of the FW34 being more competitive than anyone anticipated, Frank Williams should have revised that entire strategy. Bottas hasn't even made it to GP2 and he's getting to practice every race weekend just about? Moronic.
Even though he spent the last portion of the race behind Hulkenberg, he just kept the pressure on, then when he finally made his move, Hulkenberg couldn't stop him, and managed to take himself right off the track in a wasted defensive effort. Actually one of the best overtakes for the Grand Prix because he exhibited a ton of patience that half the field doesn't seem to have.
The Williams is twice as good as the Force India, and Hulkenberg was on struggling on softs just as Alonso. 9th is a poor result in a car that should have been at least 7th and I tinhk even fighting with Grosjean who was 20th after lap 3.

While Senna is slow (and not always consistent) Maldonado is crashing 3 GPs out of 4. That put the 4th best car P7 in the championship - I think with two strong drivers they would have 100 more points.
They may certainly have more points with two strong drivers, but let's be realistic here. Without the sponsor money both brought, the FW34 probably would still be running the Cosworth engines, and it would likely be a near backmarker car. I'll be honest, I genuinely like Bruno. I think he's gotten a bad rap from a lot of people for no reason. He's a lot more capable than people want to give him credit for. He's not going to be his late uncle, but he's also way better than some of the joke talent that have gotten a full-time drive for a season or more over the years in F1.

marcush.
marcush.

the wording is causing an avoidable accident...aa few years ago it was racing incident and usually the two had different opion of who was to blame...things have moved on and not always for the better...
I remember Irvine got some race suspension early in his F1 career for being too cheeky...maybe that would be recipe for maldo.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

What a bittersweet race, with Alonso losing out and Perez dnf'ing thanks to "that" guy. But none the less it was a an ok race, although the weather was a shocker.

And even though I understand that it wasn't just the soft tyres fault at the end, Ferrari once again risked too much and lost another win. But credit definitely goes to Webber!

And I somehow managed to hold off on seeing the results before the delayed broadcast ended.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

This is from AS
"It was before I got to the kerb, and it was after I came out of the pits with DRS open. I did the braking on DRS, and I even braked before my normal braking point, and the reason [for the accident is] I think because the angle I had on the inside of the corner was not enough for the tyre conditions."
Like Mercedes in Canada I think this must be investigated. As releasing a car with a faulty DRS is dangerous.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

andartop
andartop

I am not a huge fan of Maldonado's driving, but today it seemed to me like nothing more than a good old-termed racing incident. He certainly didn't lose control on purpose, and if Perez wasn't unlucky enough to be there Maldonado would just have had an off track excursion. In the context of today's interpretation of the rules every single contact between two cars could be interpreted as avoidable collision. Inconsistent interpretations of the rules and penalties "at will" surely do not help the younger generation of drivers develop a good sense of what is accepted and what is not.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

SeijaKessen

mx_tifoso wrote:What a bittersweet race, with Alonso losing out and Perez dnf'ing thanks to "that" guy. But none the less it was a an ok race, although the weather was a shocker.

And even though I understand that it wasn't just the soft tyres fault at the end, Ferrari once again risked too much and lost another win. But credit definitely goes to Webber!

And I somehow managed to hold off on seeing the results before the delayed broadcast ended.
I enjoyed watching the race live from my couch as it happened with no commercial interruption here in the States. :P

Kiril Varbanov

SeijaKessen wrote: I enjoyed watching the race live from my couch as it happened with no commercial interruption here in the States. :P
Good for you, I also don't have the chance to watch it live, one hour later I get it on the TV free, no ads. However, there were issues receiving the signal, and according to the TV, it wasn't on their end.

Anyway, decent race.

SeijaKessen

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
SeijaKessen wrote: I enjoyed watching the race live from my couch as it happened with no commercial interruption here in the States. :P
Good for you, I also don't have the chance to watch it live, one hour later I get it on the TV free, no ads. However, there were issues receiving the signal, and according to the TV, it wasn't on their end.

Anyway, decent race.
That was meant for tifoso.

ankitshah
ankitshah

Did anyone notice the battle between ALO and HAM for the lead after the 1st stop. ALO was past HAM between the detection and acticvation and was slightly ahead of HAM going into the straight. So he was able to open his DRS for the straight. But HAM tucked into the wake region just behind the rear crash structure and was able to outpace ALO without his DRS.

Post 2011 we have never had a situation with the leading car having DRS open and the follower so close in the wake at points where close to top speed is achieved so in that sense it was a 1st time case. Other places where this was likely would be Canada and Valencia 2011 (consecutive DRS zones). But there the leader with DRS was well away into the straight.

I could think of these reasons for the outcome:

1) Poor traction for ALO masked by DRS making it close
2) Merc engine power could overhaul Ferrari with DRS
3) HAM got into the region of slipstream where the drag reducing effect was so great that any similar powered car could have made the pass

or was it some kind of combination of 2-3. Your thoughts?
Last edited by ankitshah on 08 Jul 2012, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

andartop
andartop

That was impressive driving from both, and a lesson to many others of the newer (and older) generation on how to battle while respecting the other driver.

Entertaining as it was, what I was thinking was how much benefit it was for Lewis to waste time trying to fend off a car he wasn't really racing against (as at that moment Lewis was on worn tires and would soon pit). The BBC commentators mentioned that Alonso lost about 1 second from Webber in that battle. If we assume Lewis lost about the same amount of time, it might have been just enough to get him ahead of Kimi after his pit stop (as he was 0.5 sec behind Kimi right after he rejoined).

It might not have made any difference in the end, as Kimi would have most certainly overtaken Lewis later based on pure pace, but at that stage of the race nothing had been decided yet.

Not bashing Lewis, just pointing out how every little detail may make a difference in F1.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

ankitshah
ankitshah

andartop wrote:That was impressive driving from both, and a lesson to many others of the newer (and older) generation on how to battle while respecting the other driver.

Entertaining as it was, what I was thinking was how much benefit it was for Lewis to waste time trying to fend off a car he wasn't really racing against (as at that moment Lewis was on worn tires and would soon pit). The BBC commentators mentioned that Alonso lost about 1 second from Webber in that battle. If we assume Lewis lost about the same amount of time, it might have been just enough to get him ahead of Kimi after his pit stop (as he was 0.5 sec behind Kimi right after he rejoined).
Impressive and entertaining it certainly was. 2 of the best drivers on the grid and certainly excellent close proximity racers.

However all that and overall laptime effect apart, what interested me was what occured on the DRS straight. I was fully expecting Alonso shoot away as soon as his wing opened. But that was not how it turned out

andartop
andartop

ankitshah wrote: I was fully expecting Alonso shoot away as soon as his wing opened. But that was not how it turned out
I am sure this is exactly what Alonso expected as well! :lol: