2012 British GP - Silverstone Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
vall
vall

Re: 2012 British Grand Prix - Silverstone Circuit

FrukostScones wrote:
andartop wrote:Maldonado fined and reprimanded:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101094
bizarre, now you get fined for racing incidents. edit: watched a better replay again, MAL just lost his rear, his fault but nothing to get fined for.

exactly :o MAL just lost the rare for a moment, it happens often and it was bad luck for Sergio to be there....

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

vall wrote:
exactly :o MAL just lost the rare for a moment, it happens often and it was bad luck for Sergio to be there....
He lost the rear because he was driving too damn fast, as if there was nobody next to him. There was more than enough room for both cars (as evidenced by the multiple overtakes at the same corner throughout the day). This is simply yet another illustration of Maldonado not caring about anyone around him.

Speedster
Speedster

andartop wrote:That was impressive driving from both, and a lesson to many others of the newer (and older) generation on how to battle while respecting the other driver.

Entertaining as it was, what I was thinking was how much benefit it was for Lewis to waste time trying to fend off a car he wasn't really racing against (as at that moment Lewis was on worn tires and would soon pit). The BBC commentators mentioned that Alonso lost about 1 second from Webber in that battle. If we assume Lewis lost about the same amount of time, it might have been just enough to get him ahead of Kimi after his pit stop (as he was 0.5 sec behind Kimi right after he rejoined).

It might not have made any difference in the end, as Kimi would have most certainly overtaken Lewis later based on pure pace, but at that stage of the race nothing had been decided yet.

Not bashing Lewis, just pointing out how every little detail may make a difference in F1.
I think it was just Hamilton wanting to have a little fight. He must've known he had no chance, but he sounded like he had no confidence at all and this was the only point in the race that he had a good fight in a forward position. Good on him, great piece of action from both of them.

It has been said all year about Alonso, but isn't it time to conclude that Hamilton also outperforms (maximizes performance) the McLaren. Button is a very good driver and he has been struggling for pace for a long time now, Hamilton is also starting to struggle. I think the McLaren is very slow at the moment, which is a bit shocking after the first few races.

Then, Alonso's strategy. It didn't work out obviously, but seeing both Ferrari's and Red Bulls very close to each other, I don't think it is a massive strategy error. It might just be that Webber was a little bit faster today, as Alonso couldn't make the gap very big using the primes in the first stint, whereas Webber was able to close down 10 seconds on Alonso. Very close, great fight, great winner, congrats to Webber. It is easy to blame the strategy, but for me the differences are too small to blame someone. If the rain had come, Alonso would've been in a better position for most of the race.

Finally, Perez vs Maldonado. Interesting comments from Perez, and I'm afraid for Maldonado that Perez is just voicing a general feeling of the paddock. It might've been a racing incident this time, but he seems to have a "racing incident" every time he gets excited. Wonder if one can still call it an incident or red mist/over-excitement/lack of race craft, because Maldonado having issues is the most consistent event of this season.

On that matter, Grosjean had a few moments as well today, with Di Resta and also later in the race. He got away with it this time, but it wouldn't be the first time for him either. He's more likable than Maldonado, but he tends to get overexcited as well.

So that was my little race review, I have to say I missed the rain. Nothing like a proper wet race.

motobaleno

ankitshah wrote:Did anyone notice the battle between ALO and HAM for the lead after the 1st stop. ALO was past HAM between the detection and acticvation and was slightly ahead of HAM going into the straight. So he was able to open his DRS for the straight. But HAM tucked into the wake region just behind the rear crash structure and was able to outpace ALO without his DRS.

Post 2011 we have never had a situation with the leading car having DRS open and the follower so close in the wake at points where close to top speed is achieved so in that sense it was a 1st time case. Other places where this was likely would be Canada and Valencia 2011 (consecutive DRS zones). But there the leader with DRS was well away into the straight.

I could think of these reasons for the outcome:

1) Poor traction for ALO masked by DRS making it close
2) Merc engine power could overhaul Ferrari with DRS
3) HAM got into the region of slipstream where the drag reducing effect was so great that any similar powered car could have made the pass

or was it some kind of combination of 2-3. Your thoughts?
1 and 2 are unrealistic
3 could be but more probably alonso, having completed the overtake before the beginning of the braking zone, was too confident and did a very conservative braking action

Chuckjr

Watching F1 since 1986.

bhall
bhall

thearmofbarlow wrote:
vall wrote:
He lost the rear because he was driving too damn fast, as if there was nobody next to him. There was more than enough room for both cars (as evidenced by the multiple overtakes at the same corner throughout the day). This is simply yet another illustration of Maldonado not caring about anyone around him.
Hamilton exhibited a very similar disregard for Maldonado in Valencia and was given no penalty at all. That gave everyone tacit permission take corners as they please.

Something is right, or it's wrong. It can't be both.

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

bhallg2k wrote: Hamilton exhibited a very similar disregard for Maldonado in Valencia and was given no penalty at all. That gave everyone tacit permission take corners as they please.

Something is right, or it's wrong. It can't be both.
You know why Maldonado received penalties for both the Hamilton and Perez incidents (well... TWO Perez incidents) while those two received none?

BECAUSE HE RAN INTO THEM.

It really is that simple.

bhall
bhall

I don't contest that. The collisions were unrelated to one another, though.

Maldonado rammed his way back on-track in Valencia after being pushed off by Hamilton, and he was justly penalized for it. He collided with Perez, because he lost traction doing precisely the same thing Hamilton did in Valencia. I suspect the monetary sanction was mostly because of everything that's happened this year. Otherwise, his move was legit and resulted in a simple racing incident, which is why he didn't get a "real" penalty.

raymondu999

I wonder how come Alonso couldn't make his tyres last 15 laps when Felipe did 14 on heavy fuel and in traffic. Perhaps one of them had a wet setup, the other dry that switched things up a bit?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Spankyham

All the FiA race timing and classification information bundled into one PDF.

Available for download here.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

bhallg2k wrote:I don't contest that. The collisions were unrelated to one another, though.

Maldonado rammed his way back on-track in Valencia after being pushed off by Hamilton, and he was justly penalized for it. He collided with Perez, because he lost traction doing precisely the same thing Hamilton did in Valencia. I suspect the monetary sanction was mostly because of everything that's happened this year. Otherwise, his move was legit and resulted in a simple racing incident, which is why he didn't get a "real" penalty.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Excepting that Hamilton made one move to defend his position, braked perfectly, never made contact, and followed through on his original course. It was Maldonado that was on the outside and tried to maintain a position he didn't have. He DROVE HIMSELF off the road rather than exercise patience and decided to run into Lewis Hamilton out of spite and anger.

bhall
bhall

I suppose that's one way to look at it.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Something tells me that there's something else going through his head since he seems to almost be laughing at something while being interviewed. Perhaps something in the background or at having to say he was not too bothered by losing the victory with four laps to go?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

stefan_
stefan_

Drivers' fastest laps:

Tyre strategies:

Pit stop times:

Source: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I'm glad to see Raikkonen back to his old self by setting fastest laps!

And I also want to thank you for posting the tyre strategies, as I was about to ask for them in this thread.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.