2012 British GP - Silverstone Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: 2012 British Grand Prix - Silverstone Circuit

beelsebob - Yes, but that was a different car, and different tyres.

This year we've yet to really see a "true" barometer of wet weather drivability and pecking order. Malaysia was there, but back then nobody really had much of an idea of setting up the tyres well. I remember distinctly comparing the race laptimes against Friday practice, based on laptimes as well as the feedback drivers were giving over the radio, and the Ferrari and Sauber were constantly overheating their fronts, and that seems to have continued into a pattern where that overheating helped them get heat into the wets.

I think Vettel and Hamilton are both very good in the wet. To be honest nobody on the current grid has been consistently good in the wet. Vettel has Monza 2008, Fuji 2007 and China 2009. Korea 2010 too had his engine held on, and probably Canada 2011 had it stayed wet. But he spun out with nobody behind or ahead of him in close proximity in Malaysia.

Hamilton has also had amazing drives in the wet - Fuji 2007, Silverstone 2008, China 2011 and Monza 2008 come to mind. But again - he too has c*cked up in the wet. Hockenheim 2010 practice spinning out in the wet, and doing several 360 spins in China 2009.

But I personally think these two are the standout wet drivers, and maybe Schumi, if he can remember the password he set to the "How to drive in the wet" PDF file in his brain. Alonso, I think is good in the wet. Very good in fact, but not anywhere near Vettel/Hamilton/Schumi V1, at least in terms of wet weather pace.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

It's mainly down to set up, so calm down with the "amazing wet weather drivers". If you're car is ready for dry only, you're screwed if it rains. And vice versa.

Imo.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Hail22 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:I find it interesting that most people have put Hamilton lower in the race than qualifying if it's wet... Remember, this is the place that Hamilton overtook a large chunk of the grid in half a wet lap last year.
It may not be due to his driving...but more or less the teams strategy...or the pit stop mayhem...
Overtaking 6 people on lap 1 was down to pit stop mayhem? o.O

Jackuar

I think he meant the other way around..... Finishing lower in race than qualifying position because of some pitstop problems...

NOT being able to pass and gain positions... (Obvious... Pitstop mayhem contributing to position gain?? No no... )
Finishing second is being the first one of losers....

Princey

NathanOlder wrote:Im going on sunday :D

Im going with a group of 9. Inclyuding my other half (her first race) my first since Monaco 06!

I will be sitting at Stowe in block A.

anyone else in that area ?
I'm going all three days with the Mrs, I will be free moving fri and sat but unfortunately Sunday I will be staking my claim at the front.. or trying to from early on, and unable to move! General Admission tickets being the cause.. Probably going to go luffield on the Sunday, anyone going on the friday make sure you stand near the fencing at Becketts it's a must for any F1 fan.
Don't Kanye me. Or I'll Chris Brown you and Tiger Woods your mother.

Hail22

beelsebob wrote:
Hail22 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:I find it interesting that most people have put Hamilton lower in the race than qualifying if it's wet... Remember, this is the place that Hamilton overtook a large chunk of the grid in half a wet lap last year.
It may not be due to his driving...but more or less the teams strategy...or the pit stop mayhem...
Overtaking 6 people on lap 1 was down to pit stop mayhem? o.O
I'm talking about how you stated "I find it interesting that most people have put Hamilton lower in the race than Qualifying"

He would be great...only if his team could catch up and stop eating fatty sausage rolls and making mistakes in pit stops...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

beelsebob
beelsebob

Hail22 wrote:I'm talking about how you stated "I find it interesting that most people have put Hamilton lower in the race than Qualifying"

He would be great...only if his team could catch up and stop eating fatty sausage rolls and making mistakes in pit stops...
Ahhhh, I see, yeh... fair point =D>

raymondu999

Lol. I read that the same as beelsebob. I was wondering what on earth you were thinking, saying how the start of the race (the first half lap) was affected by strategy and pitstops. In that context it was so otherworldly and clearly from an unsound mind that I decided it wasn't worth a reply :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

zyphro
zyphro

mx_tifoso wrote:It's mainly down to set up, so calm down with the "amazing wet weather drivers". If you're car is ready for dry only, you're screwed if it rains. And vice versa.

Imo.
Actually, there's very little difference now between wet/dry setup for cars.

Some cars with different characteristic will work better in the wet (i.e Alonso's Ferrari in Malaysia and Button being able to put heat into those tyres in Canada).

Driver ability is very important in the wet.

zyphro
zyphro

raymondu999 wrote: But I personally think these two are the standout wet drivers, and maybe Schumi, if he can remember the password he set to the "How to drive in the wet" PDF file in his brain. Alonso, I think is good in the wet. Very good in fact, but not anywhere near Vettel/Hamilton/Schumi V1, at least in terms of wet weather pace.
Canada 2011 showed he (Schumacher) can drive mighty good in the wet 8) .

Jackuar

zyphro wrote:
mx_tifoso wrote:It's mainly down to set up, so calm down with the "amazing wet weather drivers". If you're car is ready for dry only, you're screwed if it rains. And vice versa.

Imo.

Some cars with different characteristic will work better in the wet (i.e Alonso's Ferrari in Malaysia and Button being able to put heat into those tyres in Canada).

Driver ability - Yes. Setup - Double yes. When I can't drive with my dry set up in wet race in a mere game, F1 2011, I can't imagine how one can manage in a real race. Unless we're merely trying to bring the car home, nevermind what position we finish in.
Finishing second is being the first one of losers....

radosav
radosav

raymondu999 wrote:beelsebob - Yes, but that was a different car, and different tyres.

This year we've yet to really see a "true" barometer of wet weather drivability and pecking order. Malaysia was there, but back then nobody really had much of an idea of setting up the tyres well. I remember distinctly comparing the race laptimes against Friday practice, based on laptimes as well as the feedback drivers were giving over the radio, and the Ferrari and Sauber were constantly overheating their fronts, and that seems to have continued into a pattern where that overheating helped them get heat into the wets.

I think Vettel and Hamilton are both very good in the wet. To be honest nobody on the current grid has been consistently good in the wet. Vettel has Monza 2008, Fuji 2007 and China 2009. Korea 2010 too had his engine held on, and probably Canada 2011 had it stayed wet. But he spun out with nobody behind or ahead of him in close proximity in Malaysia.

Hamilton has also had amazing drives in the wet - Fuji 2007, Silverstone 2008, China 2011 and Monza 2008 come to mind. But again - he too has c*cked up in the wet. Hockenheim 2010 practice spinning out in the wet, and doing several 360 spins in China 2009.

But I personally think these two are the standout wet drivers, and maybe Schumi, if he can remember the password he set to the "How to drive in the wet" PDF file in his brain. Alonso, I think is good in the wet. Very good in fact, but not anywhere near Vettel/Hamilton/Schumi V1, at least in terms of wet weather pace.
i do not agree
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEPgPWIb ... lpage#t=3s[/youtube]

Gridlock

Jackuar wrote:Setup - Double yes. When I can't drive with my dry set up in wet race in a mere game, F1 2011, I can't imagine how one can manage in a real race.
:roll:

zyphro
zyphro

radosav wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:beelsebob - Yes, but that was a different car, and different tyres.

i do not agree
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEPgPWIb ... lpage#t=3s[/youtube]
He hasn't really been consistent in wet races. Belgium 2010 and Canada 2011 were pretty poor, nothing spectacular.

zyphro
zyphro

Jackuar wrote:
zyphro wrote:

Imo.

Driver ability - Yes. Setup - Double yes. When I can't drive with my dry set up in wet race in a mere game, F1 2011, I can't imagine how one can manage in a real race. Unless we're merely trying to bring the car home, nevermind what position we finish in.
It's been accounted by many technical figures in F1 that, the setup difference transferred nowadays is not what it used to be.

:lol: are you seriously trying to compare the reality to a game with rubbish physics?