Lotus E20 VD

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
N12ck

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

MarkedOne8 wrote:
N12ck wrote:if it is a hole (which its not) it is ilegal, I have checked the regulations and there is no way it can be legal
Well, Mercedes' holes are consideres as legal ones.Why Lotus' holes would be then ilegal?
the hole isnt illegal if it is vertical, if it is flat/horizontal however then it is illegal
Budding F1 Engineer

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Huntresa wrote:
N12ck wrote:
Huntresa wrote: I am not saying it is blowing the rear wing, i just want an explanation for the holes in the endplate, that are in the drawing you are quoteing up top, and also if they arent blowing the RW, then what is the strut going to the RW doing ? Since even there the drawing has a hole.
the duct from the rear wing is the signal duct (like putting your hand over the F duct ala 2010)

lets say it is a hole, the only way it can be legal is if it is in the vertical plane,

Its the same as mercs holes, no ? Not in the way they work but the way they are designed.
There are within the endplate zone (30mm or so) which does not have constant radius rules in place. Not to mention these hole have little effect when DRS is on or off.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

bhall
bhall

Where is this idea coming from that any hole is illegal?
Formula 1 Blog wrote:Opinion on DRS‐activated F‐Duct systems

CW: We think they’re going to be legal from what we’ve seen so far.

Why some teams are querying this

CW: Some teams are questioning it on the basis that they thought F‐Ducts were banned. F‐Ducts are

not banned. At the end of 2010 everyone was using driver operated F‐Ducts. The regulations that

were changed specifically banned the use of driver movement to influence the aerodynamic

performance of the car. This got rid of that generation of F‐Ducts.

Engineers, being unable to unlearn things, wanted to get the things back via different means. They

talked about allowing the opening and closing of a duct by having interaction with suspension. We

said no, you can’t do that, because it goes to the primary purpose of the suspension system.

There was a discussion in the TWG (Technical Working Group) at the beginning of the last year to

make sure this was clear. It seems that a couple of teams went away from that meeting with the

impression that F‐Ducts were therefore banned in general.

What some teams are doing now is allowing air to pass into a duct when the DRS is operated. It’s

completely passive, there are no moving parts and it doesn’t interact with any suspension or steering

systems. Therefore, I can’t see any rule that prohibits it.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Fukkn mystery hunt :D

N12ck

the rules say 20mm for the endplate, this 'hole' looks outside of that area
Budding F1 Engineer

N12ck

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1
@N15ck its not a hole, just a reflection, look at the similar odd reflection of the central slot gap seperator
Budding F1 Engineer

Huntresa
Huntresa

To me the hole seems to be in the section between the endplate and the wing planes, that little section that teams are exploiting atm, or a few are, just between wing plane and endplate.

Huntresa
Huntresa

N12ck wrote:
@N15ck its not a hole, just a reflection, look at the similar odd reflection of the central slot gap seperator
Once again, a HOLE cant create a shadow, and certianly not one that is blacker then the actual shadow of the material around the hole that is the acuator.

Also why is he saying its not a hole ? He has the hole in his drawing.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Maybe we should count on legal margin of error.I don't know exact value for MOR, but someone has to check that.That hole is legal, but as N12ck says, it doesn't have a constant radius.It's like lasso or elipse shape.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

N12ck wrote:
You can see the hole in the image I posted at the top of the last page. You can also see the duct you said was blowing the diffuser was on the standard lotus as well early in the thread, that you also ignored.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Huntresa
Huntresa

Owen.C93 wrote:
N12ck wrote:
You can see the hole in the image I posted at the top of the last page. You can also see the duct you said was blowing the diffuser was on the standard lotus as well early in the thread, that you also ignored.
Yeah your image is the best one since its half the hole and from another angle so not a reflection again.

bhall
bhall

So maybe it's not a hole.
[See below]
Last edited by bhall on 20 Jul 2012, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Scarbs is for sure one of the best ones for this job, but he is human.He can make mistake just as every one of us can.No?

It is not reflection.There must be a PERFECT source of light on the other side.IT IS A HOLE.

Last edited by MarkedOne8 on 20 Jul 2012, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Huntresa
Huntresa

A hole cant create a shadow, as in the area that is the hole cant make a shadow, ofc the parts around can but the actual hole cant make something darker since it lets light thru, like the DRS actuator does.

N12ck

Owen.C93 wrote:
N12ck wrote:
I didnt, I responded saying the outlet may be somewhere else by the diffuser, also is this a witchunt or something, it feels like it :lol:
Budding F1 Engineer