Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
lizardfolk

Re: Formula E

RB7ate9 wrote:I suppose it's too much to ask for hot-swappable battery packs?
Like the early days of cars, battery technology isn't actually that great. I'm actually supporting Formula E to hopefully see better electric technology

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

lizardfolk wrote:
RB7ate9 wrote:I suppose it's too much to ask for hot-swappable battery packs?
Like the early days of cars, battery technology isn't actually that great. I'm actually supporting Formula E to hopefully see better electric technology
Lookin' forward to Formula E as well.

stefan_
stefan_

This is the Formula E car:

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blackout

2014 F1 rear wings should look like that IMO

autogyro
autogyro

Also very pleased to welcome TAG Heuer and Renault onboard as Official Partners for the FIA Formula E Championship!

lizardfolk

Man that really does look like an IndyCar lol.

agip

What's the sound it make when off throtle?

Cam

Awesome to hear Renault is on-board. So that's McLaren and now Renault involved. Add in a Lotus, RedBull or Williams with that and at least one F1 WDC as a driver somewhere and my F1 viewing days are numbered indeed.

Tip to FE - you've got a massive opportunity here to win a lot viewers and supporters. Learn the lessons of others. Don't mess it up.

Can't wait til they run in anger.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

autogyro
autogyro

Pierce89

Cam wrote:Awesome to hear Renault is on-board. So that's McLaren and now Renault involved. Add in a Lotus, RedBull or Williams with that and at least one F1 WDC as a driver somewhere and my F1 viewing days are numbered indeed.

Tip to FE - you've got a massive opportunity here to win a lot viewers and supporters. Learn the lessons of others. Don't mess it up.

Can't wait til they run in anger.
But are Mclaren and Renault running cars?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Tim.Wright

What's not so clear to me is if this is effectively a spec series. Are Renault designing a spec powertrain? Or is that just a demo car?

Formula E have the opportunity of opening things right up, at least for a few years, and create a bit of a golden age of technology like F1 was in the 60s-70s.

A spec series would not only deny us that, but would make the whole concept of Formula E pointless
Not the engineer at Force India

autogyro
autogyro

You could always sit down and design a car with me Tim.
As far as I know the regulations are fairly open.
Just need some investment.

Tim.Wright

Id happily do that. But after checking out the formula last night it seems that its all a spec McLaren power train.

Is that true? What if a company want to enter with their own powertrain?
Not the engineer at Force India

Pierce89

Tim.Wright wrote:What's not so clear to me is if this is effectively a spec series. Are Renault designing a spec powertrain? Or is that just a demo car?

Formula E have the opportunity of opening things right up, at least for a few years, and create a bit of a golden age of technology like F1 was in the 60s-70s.

A spec series would not only deny us that, but would make the whole concept of Formula E pointless
From what I understand, its not a spec series, but they will have a spec car for sell to teams that want to race, but don't have the resources to build their own EV racer.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

AFAIK, the series will be run as spec the first year, then manufacturers will be able to have their own chassis