Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
jdlive
jdlive

Re: Formula E

That makes it a lot more attracting then idd! Wise decision to let them drive on more compact street circuits.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

Cam

'Selling' FE to the masses is not going to be easy - if you can't get your head unstuck from the typical motorsport ar$e. You don't have the ear blasting noise that rev heads love, nor the 'society' of hob nobs that people want to aspire too - this much is a given. That only leaves relevance. Something most consider have no part in motorsport. This is misplaced as even Ferrari are taking about it now and rightly so.
Di Montezemolo is unhappy with technological changes in F1 which have shifted the emphasis away from traditional car and engine research and design to areas such as aerodynamics. "If Formula 1 is not any more an extreme technology competition, where the technology can be transferred to the road car, maybe we can see Formula 1 without Ferrari," he told CNN in a wide-ranging interview.
FE has the potential to attract a wider market than F1, simply because people like mums and dads can understand that a battery is driving that race car - and mine at home. Sell the series by showing the everyday savings this tech can have on teh average punters life. Also, finally, manufacturers can compete on a level playing field and transfer race tech into car tech - race on Sunday, sell on Monday. That actually works, although it's been lost up the coit of politics and greed.
Todt on F1: "And maybe I'll manage to convince several engine manufacturers who are now in endurance racing or elsewhere into building engines for F1 too: Audi, Toyota, Porsche, the Koreans..."
Regardless of what some fans think, road relevance is the key to having a sustainable race series into the future. Splashing copious amounts of cash around to develop a wing, that gets banned the next year - is pointless, on every level.

FE has the greatest opportunity to start again and to deliver a relevant and vibrant race series that the masses understand and enjoy. If it's true they'll all be city races - that's a huge tick, relevance. Maybe race tracks go the way of the CD, great at the time however completely redundant in this tech fuelled future. Tracks are already struggling, stop fighting it.

I for one, will be giving my 100% support to FE and hope they get some smart, passionate people to market it. If I see MR E anywhere near it - I'm out.

Keep the wonderful updates on FE coming.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

flynfrog

autogyro wrote: Not sensible when governments continue to state that road vehicles will be well over 50 percent electric by 2050.
The above is a statement of fact, not a 'green' issue open for argument.

http://vimeo.com/50129899
even though its not up for argument. Unless they try to mandate it this will not happen until energy storage transportation and distribution can come even close current tech. Its not there yet formula E had a perfect chance to develop it. Instead we got switch the cars at the half way point. This is even less road relevant to real life than F1 is. No one is going to switch cars when one runs out of energy. At least in F1 they put enough fuel into the car to make it to the end of the race or they do fuel stops.

I think this series is interesting I look forward to the developments that come out of it but lets face no one is going to line up to watch it. The reason F1 has a large marketing budget is because it has a ROI. Dumping $ into a series nobody really cares about is going to increase its viewership or make it better.

I look forward to having a true technical discussion. Not a political one. Does anybody have any info on what motor technology they are using I am assuming most will be using Lipo or LiFe battery tech.

autogyro
autogyro

flynfrog wrote:
autogyro wrote: Not sensible when governments continue to state that road vehicles will be well over 50 percent electric by 2050.
The above is a statement of fact, not a 'green' issue open for argument.

http://vimeo.com/50129899
even though its not up for argument. Unless they try to mandate it this will not happen until energy storage transportation and distribution can come even close current tech. Its not there yet formula E had a perfect chance to develop it. Instead we got switch the cars at the half way point. This is even less road relevant to real life than F1 is. No one is going to switch cars when one runs out of energy. At least in F1 they put enough fuel into the car to make it to the end of the race or they do fuel stops.

I think this series is interesting I look forward to the developments that come out of it but lets face no one is going to line up to watch it. The reason F1 has a large marketing budget is because it has a ROI. Dumping $ into a series nobody really cares about is going to increase its viewership or make it better.

I look forward to having a true technical discussion. Not a political one. Does anybody have any info on what motor technology they are using I am assuming most will be using Lipo or LiFe battery tech.
You are wrong Flyn, the level of electric technology is good enough right now for meaningful racing in the correct environment. This has been proven for over five years with electric motorcycles.
It is marketing that lags behind and the spiteful opposition from the ICE brigade. (of which I am still a part of I might add)
If there are any top level marketing gurus out there who want to make a fortune in the near future please contact me.

This is a racing series Flyn, the thread is basicaly technical but it also covers politics and sporting issues as does every other series.

autogyro
autogyro

The regulations for FE are presently structured on data from the formulec prototype built by Mercedes and the current batteries available for this car.
Both the formulec design and this level of electric technology can and will be improved on and unlike ICE technology has almost endless scope for development.
At present for 2014 potential teams have the choice of running a formulec car or designing and building their own.
My original suggestion to the FIA was for the cars to use fast replacement batteries.
It was mainly safety issues that prevented this method and I believe the idea may be used in the future when the safe handling of the energy source is improved. F1 is helping in this area with KERS use.
Pit crews for FE have to learn a totaly new approach to servicing the cars.
Eventualy track surfaces might well have induction sources buried under them so that no batteries need to be carried at all.
This should eventualy be available for road transport coupled to smart grids the vehicle weight savings should easily offset the energy loses.
Drayson Racing has been experimenting with induction charging in the pits amongst other things.
FE regulations allow almost any developing battery technology to be used so long as the safety aspects are fully dealt with and cleared with the FIA.

olefud
olefud

Does it have to be battery? Supercapacitors would seem to have more potential as a new technology with the potential for more rapid refueling.

WhiteBlue

Supercaps are good if you simply want to convert energies but not so good if you want to store large quantities. Some teams use a combination of both in KERS but for a formula E application supercaps will not replace chemical batteries.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

machin

The whole "change the car mid-race" thing seems like a PR shot in the foot to me...

I'd have preferred shorter races, or tighter/twisty tracks that are for their majority traction limited and therefore put a limit on the amount of power that the car's can use... (i.e. similar to how fuel consumtpion at Monaco is low because the car's are traction-limited for large portions of the track)... and therefore the race length could be longer between recharges...

Alternatively, Toyota are developing rapid DC-DC charging systems for their record breaking electric sprint/hillclimb car....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

olefud
olefud

WhiteBlue wrote:Supercaps are good if you simply want to convert energies but not so good if you want to store large quantities. Some teams use a combination of both in KERS but for a formula E application supercaps will not replace chemical batteries.
You’re entirely right. But then batteries will never replace hydrocarbons on that criterium either. The truth is that green racing is pretty much green wash with no net fuel savings or break throughs, just hype.

I see only limited advances with batteries since, as discussed in my September 7 post above, the technology is rather old with fundamental problems with chemistry and electromotive potential with available metals. Supercapacitors are a newer technology that, in theory, is near two dimensional in the energy storing area. The limiting element is the dielectric’s capacity to separate very high potentials yet be very thin. My thought is this is a lesser developed technology that racing might actually improve and make a useful contribution rather than replowing old ground.

WhiteBlue

olefud wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:The truth is that green racing is pretty much green wash with no net fuel savings or break throughs, just hype.
That is not true. WE have already seen in LMP that the proper incentives can promote efficient technologies that give good racing and are useful for road cars. The same will happen in F1 when they switch to a fuel flow regulated formula. It is long overdue. And no amount of propaganda will stop that. The best way to save fossil fuels is developing more efficient engines and using the same approach in motor sport will accelerate the development. Electric turbo compounding will be a useful technology and a break through that will appear in road cars as soon as they have mastered it in F1.

Electric racing also has its strong points. I do not agree that batteries have not made progress in the last decade. Quite contrary. We have seen amazing improvements. And electric vehicles will have strong growth in the cities.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

olefud
olefud

WhiteBlue wrote:
olefud wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:The truth is that green racing is pretty much green wash with no net fuel savings or break throughs, just hype.
That is not true. WE have already seen in LMP that the proper incentives can promote efficient technologies that give good racing and are useful for road cars. The same will happen in F1 when they switch to a fuel flow regulated formula. It is long overdue. And no amount of propaganda will stop that. The best way to save fossil fuels is developing more efficient engines and using the same approach in motor sport will accelerate the development. Electric turbo compounding will be a useful technology and a break through that will appear in road cars as soon as they have mastered it in F1.

Electric racing also has its strong points. I do not agree that batteries have not made progress in the last decade. Quite contrary. We have seen amazing improvements. And electric vehicles will have strong growth in the cities.

Our differences seem to be mostly in semantics. I see the LPM cars using optimized (and expensive) iterations of technology already deployed in road cars. Much he same is true of the F-1 greening to date. If I’m missing some breakthrough it’s pretty subtle.

Somewhere in another thread you’ll find that I have expounded hopefully to Cookers on compounding citing the stillborn ICE aircraft engine efficiency after WWII. I think this may have been prior to the present rules. Compounding may or may not scale to smaller engines. Digital controls may or may not deal with rapidly changing energy needs. Either way, at least if it works out, it could be a worthwhile advance. But you seem to be counting this as a present fiat accompli.

As to batteries, the lithium-ion appears to be the best at the moment. It has about 3X the energy density of a good lead battery and costs about 3X (at best) as much. This doesn’t amaze me. Relative to IC vehicles, electric vehicles have a long way to go to reach the ratio they enjoyed in 1900.

If you look at my position it should be clear that my purpose is to move the effort to more promising technologies rather than rehashing old, already-near-optimized stuff like batteries. If any of this is to work, critical rather than cheerleader review is necessary.

autogyro
autogyro

The use of anything other than batteries is not allowed in FE regulations.
Debate on this topic would be interesting.
The change to electric cars is inevitable.
It simply depends on how long the change can be held off.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

WhiteBlue wrote: Electric turbo compounding will be a useful technology and a break through that will appear in road cars as soon as they have mastered it in F1.
F1 electric turbo compounding will recover about 70 free bhp from a 600 bhp sized exhaust stream IMO
(but (as olefud says) it won't work very well at say 60 bhp (that we should IMO have) in our (petrol/gasoline) road cars ?)
surely Ferrari and Mercedes have in mind supporting the sales of 300-600 bhp cars

poor battery life causes the range problem that impedes EV takeup
the life is still only 1000 full cycles, so they are rigged to only allow 30-35% cycles (so only get 30-35% range)
(this is to manipulate in-service battery life to match the 8 year warranty)

many potential EV buyers are light use/infrequent drivers, do they need/get batteries within the warranty period ?
is battery life in-service holding up to the 8 year requirement ?

given that finely-proportioned braking is important in racing, what type(s) is/are envisaged for F E ?
(road car/F1 regenerative braking is not precisely proportionate to the driver's brake pedal loading ?)

WhiteBlue

olefud wrote:Our differences seem to be mostly in semantics. I see the LPM cars using optimized (and expensive) iterations of technology already deployed in road cars. Much he same is true of the F-1 greening to date. If I’m missing some breakthrough it’s pretty subtle.
Audi's turbodiesel technology was first developed in race winning LeMan race cars before it was sold million times on the road. At least in Europe we are aware of this. Same goes for the Williams KERS that was first used in sports cars and is likely to be employed in road cars and busses in the future. Variable geometry turbos were also developed in racing and will play a role in road cars. Naturally all these technologies come with a cost but that's why they are developed in racing and later adapted to mass production.
Somewhere in another thread you’ll find that I have expounded hopefully to Cookers on compounding citing the stillborn ICE aircraft engine efficiency after WWII. I think this may have been prior to the present rules. Compounding may or may not scale to smaller engines. Digital controls may or may not deal with rapidly changing energy needs. Either way, at least if it works out, it could be a worthwhile advance. But you seem to be counting this as a present fiat accompli.
Anybody can guess how the technology will develop and spread. Some efficiency inventions that were expensive made it into the last road car given enough time, like digital controlled fuel injection vs carburettors. There was a time when that was thought much too expensive.
As to batteries, the lithium-ion appears to be the best at the moment. It has about 3X the energy density of a good lead battery and costs about 3X (at best) as much. This doesn’t amaze me. Relative to IC vehicles, electric vehicles have a long way to go to reach the ratio they enjoyed in 1900.

If you look at my position it should be clear that my purpose is to move the effort to more promising technologies rather than rehashing old, already-near-optimized stuff like batteries. If any of this is to work, critical rather than cheerleader review is necessary.
If you think that supercaps will replace chemical batteries you are probably barking up the wrong tree. Capacitors have been around forever and they have never in their existence come near the capacity of a chemical batterie and probably never will.

noname
noname

WhiteBlue wrote:Variable geometry turbos were also developed in racing and will play a role in road cars.
It was other way round. VNTs were selling in huge numbers, mainly in the commercial market, long before they appeared at Le Mans.

"1991: Fiat puts a VNT™ turbo in the Croma, matching it to a 1.9L direct injection diesel engine."
http://turbo.honeywell.com/why-choose-h ... ry-firsts/
http://www.garrettbulletin.com/techcorner/544
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/bulletins.php?id=19