Hamilton to leave for Mercedes 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Hail22

Re: Rumor Mill: Hamilton to leave for Mercedes

Just like his Idol...Hamilton needs to spread his wings and explore the possibilities/challenges of Formula 1.

If he goes to Mercedes it won't be just because of the money, perhaps like Senna he needs a different challenge with another team that he may see "Competitive" next season?

Whatever his decision/direction good luck to him and hopefully he remains competitive if he does move.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Gerhardsa

I know this shies away from the Hamilton to Merc topic, but it still has todo with the speculated seat he would get there...

Interesting quote from Brawn on the Schumacher negotiations i read this morning
"I'm very happy with Michael's performance. With these technical challenges that we're going to face particularly in 2014 someone of Michael's experience and calibre would be great asset to any team, but particularly our team."
I would say Michael is still the guy that would be calling the shots on his seat with comments like this. So I would say, if the car shows any potential, he would be staying, adding more speculation for me that IF Ham comes over, Rosberg would be moving to Macca.

Cam

What if Mick becomes a technical adviser - so to speak? That statement would still be true and he wouldn't be driving. Mick has a lot of experience. To be in a role to pass on technical and mentoring to other drivers really would be an asset for a team. To say Mick is staying with Merc, does not indicate a driving role.

Edit - typo
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Gerhardsa

Cam wrote:What if Mick becomes a technical adviser - so to speak? That statement would still be true and he wouldn't be driving. Mick has a lot of experience. To be in a role to pass on technical and mentoring to other drivers really would be an asset for a team. To say Mick is staying with Merc, does not indicate a driving role.

Edit - typo
I think it does....I think he will still drive. Like he said. He aint happy with what he achieved as of yet. I think he will still drive next year

Raptor22
Raptor22

With testing rules as they stnad and little appetite to increase the amount of test days due to cost, I doubt Schumacher would be useful in an advisory capacity unless he is actually driving and dveloping the car.

RB's comments seem more like a plea to Schumacher to consider a contract extension. I for one cannot see him staying on just to put up with underperformance for another year when he could be doing something else that keeps him closer to his family.
If the Hammy rumours are true then its indicative of someon ewithin Merce playing both fields. Hamiltn is an obvious choice for marketing and talent perspectives. Hamilton is clearly not happy at McLaren - posting team telemetry data up on a public blog is not something a happy employee does. Button clearly the favourite son over there.

IF Hamilton goes over to Merc, alongside Schumacher it would make for a stronger marketable pairing and be pretty clever in terms of car development. Rosberg I don't see as being any use as test driver.

It all depends on what Schumacher decides....

jdlive
jdlive

Schumacher will be going for another WDC and will only quit once he has achieved that 8)
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

clipsy1H

jdlive wrote:Schumacher will be going for another WDC and will only quit once he has achieved that 8)
Red Bull gives you wings so stop drink :D If Hamilton wins at Monza and other pilots (Kimi Vettel and Alonso) lose points maybe he will the contract with McLaren at the end of the race because he need full support of team for Championship.

jdlive
jdlive

I admit to drinking too much energy drinks BUT I don't doubt for a second that that is exactly what Schumacher is thinking about. Give him a good enough car next year and he can do it.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

zyphro
zyphro

This rumour works both ways: Hamilton wants his way in the contract negotiations, and Merc want their way with the CA. That's what I think is at work here.

zyphro
zyphro

MW:
We don't want anyone who's not fully committed to the team
Ouch, crunch time.

Morteza

zyphro wrote:MW:
Ouch, crunch time.
I never thought there comes a day that Martin Whitmarsh says such a thing.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

smellybeard
smellybeard

Morteza wrote:
zyphro wrote:MW:
Ouch, crunch time.
It seems like there's a momentum building. Whitmarsh is a clear thinker a cool customer. I really think he'd be happier with a good number two to button rather than a supremely talented (and expensive) hit and miss artist.

Shakeman

smellybeard wrote:
It seems like there's a momentum building. Whitmarsh is a clear thinker a cool customer. I really think he'd be happier with a good number two to button rather than a supremely talented (and expensive) hit and miss artist.[/quote]

Button is somehow some great driver? If McLaren ended up with Button as the de facto No.1 would be disastrous for them.

Button needs the stars aligned to get a similar performance from the McLaren as Ham and as for hit and miss I'd say you could label the team that

example
example

I don't understand Martin. When they had those problems at the start of the season he was talking about Ferrari and other teams in interviews.
Lewis has every right to feel like he is, they wasted him at least 30 points, if not even more. He put 2011 behind him and he wanted to win championship this season, so far it looks like they have wasted it for him. Has he made a mistake this season?

Poor man's Prost and Whitmarsh, good luck with that Mclaren.

johnny99
johnny99

I see your point, he's only human like the rest of us. But putting that stuff on twitter, constant whineing to the team over the radio, hanging Davy Ryan, out to dry, and shouting his mouth off like a spoilt child hardly improves relations whit the Engineers and mechanics that work ungodly hours to put him where he is.

John