McLaren P1

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
McG

Re: McLaren P1

Whoever doesn't like this car is out of their mind. The aerodynamics are clearly the most advanced on any road car. Only time will tell if it will be as successful as the F1 in racing terms.

Aerodynamics is far more advanced than in was on the F1 and that shows on the P1. And McLaren have at least another year of advancements to add to the P1. It takes some time to go through all the details then take the look as a whole. Traditionally the styling of British cars have been easier to appreciate from afar when not looking at the details such as air intakes etc, but the P1 is so detailed that it draws you in to inspect the small details. I appreciate the MP4 for it's relatively simple form.

The MP4 is giving it a good shot, winning most races of any manufacturer in the FIA GT Championship. Who knows what the P1 will achieve. The people who scoff at the P1 are the same people that would scoff at the F1 when it first came out.
F1 is dead.

Belatti
Belatti

I like it a lot
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Holm86

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW2LOgchfno[/youtube]

Im so excited about this car. To me it looks very good. It looks very slick with the spoiler down. And like a beast with the spoiler up.

JMN
JMN

From the MP4-28 launch event

Paul

Camo suits it. =D>

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

seventhsin

its not camo, its racetracks. i can spot monzas all over it

Also that car is beautiful. Reminds me of a stingray, the creature not the car.
Last edited by seventhsin on 01 Feb 2013, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Nando
Nando

Looks so badass in that camo livery.

Rear end is ridiculously cool in motion. (from the video above)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

mboutla
mboutla

Button: Wehhhhh Lewis is out so i'm the number one driver rigth now!!!!!

Richard
Richard

I see the P1 will have "bespoke Meridian sound system". Meridian make very expensive kit so that'll please audiophiles, until they get to the bit that says "Sound deadening is absent from the P1’s cabin, and special lightweight carpet will be an option."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mclar ... r-revealed

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

What a tool if someone orders a sound system on this type of car. The engine and all accompanying mechanicals are the orchestra that can't be beat.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Pup
Pup

richard_leeds wrote:I see the P1 will have "bespoke Meridian sound system". Meridian make very expensive kit so that'll please audiophiles, until they get to the bit that says "Sound deadening is absent from the P1’s cabin, and special lightweight carpet will be an option."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mclar ... r-revealed
There's not a lot of logic that goes into purchasing cars like this.

Nando
Nando

Pup wrote:There's not a lot of logic that goes into purchasing cars like this.
Depends entirely on the person buying the car.

Trash it around the circuit, learn to drive fast with it, showboat outside the club, run on canyon roads, get caught in traffic (sound system comes into play)
etc etc.

99% use it to showboat but there are the occasional buyers that use it like intended by the car manufacturer.

Like this crazy guy.
http://youtu.be/Z-4v4I7Gzk0

Nando
Nando

Proper interior shots of the P1.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

The car seems to be lacking somewhat. The interior is pretty bland, it's not at all a work of art like the interior of a Pagani. The exterior isn't overly exciting looking but then you come to exhaust note and my word is it bland. It just seems to lack all theater and to me that is a problem for what should be quite a special car. If you compare it to the 918, it doens't have refined high revving sound of that wonderful porsche engine, it isn't as brutal or world crushing as the v8 in the Koenigsegg and you just can't compare it to the Ferrari v12's or AMG v12's in the Paganis. The exhaust note honestly sounds like a sound designer from the Gran Turismo crafted it. Such a shame.