2012 US GP - Circuit of the Americas

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP - Circuit of the Americas

Still looking for a room for the race? A couple of weeks ago we heard more hotel price info & told you all that hotel inventory would be increasing & prices would be dropping...

As of this morning, 221 Austin-area hotels have availability for Fri, Sat, & Sun nights, starting at $76/night in Austin.

http://www.hotels.com/search/search.htm ... cpr=0&pn=1

Remember right after the race date was announced & everyone said they couldn't get a room in Austin except for a handful of ultra-expensive rooms? Somebody convinced the Austin hotel industry that price was no object to the incoming F1 crowd....& that --- blew up right in their faces. There are thousands of rooms right now as they get released from blocks & the price has been falling like a rock over the last couple of weeks.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Forza

hairy_scotsman wrote:
Nando wrote:You need more information then simply the track length to find out laptimes mate.
Sure, but I don't think that's far off. Maybe about 1:35-36...
This is debate from COTA construction thread. Your lap time prediction is close to calculations made by Mercedes AMG simulation tools.
COTA 2012 - GP Preview - Mercedes wrote:
- Simulations suggest the circuit has more corners over 250 kph than Spa and more below 100 kph than Hungary
- A qualifying lap time of around 97 seconds (1:37) and a race lap time around 102 seconds (1:42) are predicted

CHT
CHT

will lotus have a chance at the podium here?

SamH123
SamH123

I can't quite see it on pace
Mclaren will surely be strong, especially as he medium/hard tires should suit them. RB will also be very strong and I can't see Alonso being behind Lotus either given how hard Ferrari will be working this week

Nando
Nando

Anyone know why F1 decided to name this GP the United States GP and the Jersey GP the American GP?

Just seems this would be the American GP due to the name etc.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Aerial photo of COTA from Austin Police Department helicopter:

http://twitpic.com/bbs3pb/full

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

wlopez34
wlopez34

Huntresa
Huntresa

Nando wrote:Anyone know why F1 decided to name this GP the United States GP and the Jersey GP the American GP?

Cause you cant have the same name for 2, and since this country has a few names in day to day business i guess they just choose the best sounding one for this, since it will be shortend to US GP prob.

Nando
Nando

Huntresa wrote:Cause you cant have the same name for 2, and since this country has a few names in day to day business i guess they just choose the best sounding one for this, since it will be shortend to US GP prob.
Maybe you miss-understood me but surely instead of having two GP´s with the same name they could switched the names.

New Jersey - American GP
Circuit of Americas - United States GP

-
New Jersey - United States GP
Circuit of Americas - American GP
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

PlatinumZealot

mx_tifoso wrote:Kato and Hairy, there is no way that a race in Austin or anywhere in good old 'Merica qualifies as a home race for someone who is foreign. You're belittling the fact that we have our own country called "home", whether we have a GP there or not. I honestly feel offended.

And thanks for linked pictures Hairy, it makes for quicker viewing of the thread.
Are you a Mexi-can or a Mexi-can't?!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

CHT
CHT

SamH123 wrote:I can't quite see it on pace
Mclaren will surely be strong, especially as he medium/hard tires should suit them. RB will also be very strong and I can't see Alonso being behind Lotus either given how hard Ferrari will be working this week
Lotus just announced they are going to race with the new upgraded Coanda exhaust next week. hopefully they will be closer to the front.

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

PlatinumZealot

OK.. I got the game just to play this track. 8)
It's fun to learn! I really like the track, its not too difficult but it is challenging to perfect. At first I was approaching it like a typical Tilke track, taking out big chunks of speed before turning in... and my times were hella slow... then I turned on the "racing line" just to get only a peak at how to take the corners - then turn them off. It seems this is a real silver-stone type tack with the way you carry the speed, but it is also like Spa and Turkey with the elevation changes + the turn 8 type corner near the end. At the start, that first turn you take as blind as a bat! Nailing the first apex is almost down to chance for me. You can go pretty much flat out through the first esses then lift a bit at the fourth S, then you snake through to the 2nds set of esses, the last S is almost like a chicane you have to sort of pre-empt the switchover from right to left to enter the straight with a good exiting speed. After that, the hard part is done and the rest of the lap - in this game - is pretty easy. With that said watching the real life on board with D'Ambrosio the designers have changed the track to make it more tricky in the 2nd and 3rd sector.

I only played for about an hour, my best time being 1:47.7xx... how is that?

Also what setup is best for this track?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

lotus7
lotus7

Nando wrote:Anyone know why F1 decided to name this GP the United States GP and the Jersey GP the American GP?

Cos America is a very divided country :?:

Huntresa
Huntresa

Nando wrote:
Huntresa wrote:Cause you cant have the same name for 2, and since this country has a few names in day to day business i guess they just choose the best sounding one for this, since it will be shortend to US GP prob.
Maybe you miss-understood me but surely instead of having two GP´s with the same name they could switched the names.

New Jersey - American GP
Circuit of Americas - United States GP

-
New Jersey - United States GP
Circuit of Americas - American GP
And i think you misunderstood me, what i meant was that in the past the GPs in america has been the US GP, so thats why i thought they went that way since its the only GP in america right now and even next year it seems.