2012 US GP - Circuit of the Americas

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: 2012 US GP - Circuit of the Americas

Kato and Hairy, there is no way that a race in Austin or anywhere in good old 'Merica qualifies as a home race for someone who is foreign. You're belittling the fact that we have our own country called "home", whether we have a GP there or not. I honestly feel offended.

And thanks for linked pictures Hairy, it makes for quicker viewing of the thread.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Chuckjr

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
bizadfar wrote:Oh please, less politic talk and more race predictions.

Can't wait till qualifying. I don't know about the slow corners, but there seems to be 3 of them, leading on to flat out sections or straights.
I would go as far to say, Red bull + Hamilton top 3 in no specific order.
With a fair chance of rain I think it is a little early to predict how quali will go :wink:
How fitting would it be of it rained to allow Alonso to win on skills alone with the top cars equalized. Brazil also. It's not a far fetched idea and wow that would be spectacular!
Watching F1 since 1986.

raymondu999

Actually, looking back at the past few years, it seems to me that a driver's influence on wet laptimes now has been diminished. A good wet car, or wet setup, now plays a bigger part.

If you were to look at the past few years, generally it's always been a single car (or two) that has won the wet races for the season, and the same cars tend to perform very badly over and over again. Cars & drivers also seem to fluctuate from season to season.

For example, if you looked at 2011 Canada, Button and Hamilton were very quick (at least until Hamilton's retirement). But this year in Malaysia race, GB or Germany qualifying, the Button/Hamilton-McLaren combo has been lacklustre. The Red Bulls weren't too hot in Malaysia race, but after their upgrade in Valencia, they were competitive in Silverstone and Hockenheim quali, pointing to a trend that those upgrades affected their wet weather competitiveness, meaning that the car still plays a big role, and is by no means equalised

If you were to put everyone in spec cars then IMO we would see bigger laptime differences between the drivers than in the dry (ie the driver makes more difference) but IMO that isn't enough to counter differences in a better wet car/setup nowadays.

That drivers who dominate wet races one year and are nowhere the next year IMO is a big sign of this. Lewis was imperious in the wet in 2008. Then comes 2009 and he wasn't anymore. So while people romanticise the wet as a car equaliser, I don't think that's true nowadays.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

f1316
f1316

We'll see how it goes, of course, but I get a decent feeling looking at the onboard videos here. I like the elevation change into the first corner and the esses look good. There are the typical slow corner/long straight Tilke bits, but I think this will at least allow for some overtaking with all the current driver toys.

This reminds me of when Malaysia was first revealed; not in terms of the characteristics of the track, but the fact that we have a new track that is quite exciting in a territory where F1 needs to be.

godlameroso

The biggest aid to overtaking on this circuit is the fact there are no chicanes at the end of any straight.
Saishū kōnā

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

mx_tifoso wrote:Kato and Hairy, there is no way that a race in Austin or anywhere in good old 'Merica qualifies as a home race for someone who is foreign. You're belittling the fact that we have our own country called "home", whether we have a GP there or not. I honestly feel offended.

And thanks for linked pictures Hairy, it makes for quicker viewing of the thread.
If you're offended, then you're definitely reading way too much into it. This should not be an issue. Indeed, it's difficult to believe that it is.

Austin talking about this as a home race for Perez is more of an invitation to a neighbor to come over as we show him how proud we are of him. Many of you may not know this, but Texas and Mexico have a strong tie & Mexican culture permeates ours at every turn. We have a huge population that has family roots in Mexico or has come directly from Mexico. My wife & her family are Mexican & we all speak Spanish. Our young boys both speak Spanish & they just took down our Dia de los Muertos shrine a few days ago. There will be thousands of Mexican fans welcomed here to cheer Perez on as well. Hell, Hellmund is the first guy I ever heard mention this, and he spent half his young life living in Mexico City with his Dad (Gustavo Rosas Hellmund, promoter of the Mexican GPs there). He can also roll right from English to the most beautiful fluent Spanish quicker than I can add 2 + 2.

Some of you may want to discount these connections as trivial, but they aren't. The Mexican culture is a living, vibrant part of Texans' everyday life.

Regarding whether Perez feels like this is his home race, of course nobody can force him to view Austin as his home race, but we'll be here welcoming him as a hero no matter what.

Then again, maybe none of that matters. Perhaps this does though:
3Nov2012 ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates

The 22-year-old Pérez is the first Formula One driver from Mexico to reach the podium in 40 years. His success this season has put Formula One on the radar in his home country ahead of the race on Nov. 18 in Austin, Texas.
"It definitely will be a big home race event for me," Pérez said. "It's the closest race we have to my country. Definitely there will be a lot of Mexicans there. They are very excited and looking forward to my having a long career in Formula One."

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sports ... z2BYA8rFQM
It took me about 2 seconds to find that on Google. Top result.

Of course when the GP in Mexico City comes online, that will be the home race for Perez & Gutierrez. Until then, maybe Austin will do.
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 07 Nov 2012, 17:57, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

godlameroso wrote:The biggest aid to overtaking on this circuit is the fact there are no chicanes at the end of any straight.
Yep. I thought about this repeatedly while watching Abu Dhabi. What was he thinking there?

Mr Alcatraz

hairy_scotsman wrote:
mx_tifoso wrote:Kato and Hairy, there is no way that a race in Austin or anywhere in good old 'Merica qualifies as a home race for someone who is foreign. You're belittling the fact that we have our own country called "home", whether we have a GP there or not. I honestly feel offended.

If you're offended, then you're definitely reading way too much into it. This should not be an issue. Indeed, it's difficult to believe that it is.

Austin talking about this as a home race for Perez is more of an invitation to a neighbor to come over as we show him how proud we are of him. Many of you may not know this, but Texas and Mexico have a strong tie & Mexican culture permeates ours at every turn. We have a huge population that has family roots in Mexico or has come directly from Mexico. My wife & her family are Mexican & we all speak Spanish. Our young boys both speak Spanish & they just took down our Dia de los Muertos shrine a few days ago. There will be thousands of Mexican fans welcomed here to cheer Perez on as well. Hell, Hellmund is the first guy I ever heard mention this, and he spent half his young life living in Mexico City with his Dad (Gustavo Rosas Hellmund, promoter of the Mexican GPs there). He can also roll right from English to the most beautiful fluent Spanish quicker than I can add 2 + 2.

Some of you may want to discount these connections as trivial, but they aren't. The Mexican culture is a living, vibrant part of Texans' everyday life.

Regarding whether Perez feels like this is his home race, of course nobody can force him to view Austin as his home race, but we'll be here welcoming him as a hero no matter what.

The 22-year-old Pérez is the first Formula One driver from Mexico to reach the podium in 40 years. His success this season has put Formula One on the radar in his home country ahead of the race on Nov. 18 in Austin, Texas.
"It definitely will be a big home race event for me," Pérez said. "It's the closest race we have to my country. Definitely there will be a lot of Mexicans there. They are very excited and looking forward to my having a long career in Formula One."

It figures you folow fox news :lol:
That has nothing to do with checo being in some way an oficially designated "Homeboy" for this race. BTW we have a few Mexicans here in San Diego where I have lived since 1960, so don't try to tell me about Mexican-American interactions. However when you're here we can discuss it over a bowl of Menudo :D
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:

It figures you folow fox news :lol:
That has nothing to do with checo being in some way an oficially designated "Homeboy" for this race. BTW we have a few Mexicans here in San Diego where I have lived since 1960, so don't try to tell me about Mexican-American interactions. However when you're here we can discuss it over a bowl of Menudo :D
I don't follow any particular news entity. That was the first to pop up in a google search. What difference would it make though? You want to be an ass about things? Sure, go ahead.

The point to quoting that was that Perez himself is calling this his home race. What else matters?

I never said there was any "official" designation of same. That came from you. Has it been talked about by lots of people, including some COTA itself, and now Perez? Absolutely.

I'm not the one making an issue of this. In fact, I'm still at a loss to understand why an issue is being made of something so benign.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

I'm tired of this idiocy.

You act as if the information isn't out there. Here. Took me about 2 minutes to find this:

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... -hellmund/
“I have followed Sergio’s career closely and have been impressed by his work ethic and his ability to win at every level,” said Hellmund. “I am ecstatic that he will be a Formula One driver next year and I congratulate Sergio on this great accomplishment. I look forward to following his career at the highest level of motorsports and assisting in any way possible.

I spoke with both Carlos and Sergio and we all agree that the 2012 Formula One United States Grand Prix will be like a home race for Sergio. In 2011, we will have a driver for the Americas with Sergio and in 2012 we will have the Grand Prix of the Americas with the United States Grand Prix. We all look forward to working together to maximize this wonderful opportunity.”
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/ ... l?page=all
Each of the speakers contributed items to a time capsule that will be buried at the site and unearthed in 25 years. Some of the items added to the capsule were a newly minted dollar coin, wildflowers, an Austin music CD and a photo of Sergio Perez, the Mexican Formula One race car driver who has designated COTA as his home track.
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/sports-event/formula-1
Austin professional race car driver Rodrigo Sanchez said at the city council meeting the addition of Mexican driver Sergio Perez to the Formula 1 championship has created excitement for Latino race fans; a fast-growing demographic in Texas.
“Racing has reached a very high popularity status in Mexico due to Sergio, and since Formula 1 does not have a race in Mexico it will mean that Austin will be the home race for Sergio and the millions of Mexicans who are following Sergio with heart and wallet,” Sanchez said.

So Perez said 4 days ago.
Hellmund said it 2 years ago when he was with COTA.
COTA's Rodrigo Sanchez said it to the City Council over a year ago.
COTA made a time capsule with a photo of Perez.
COTA's spokespeople frequently talk about Perez in the media.
The fans are saying it.

I don't know what else to tell you.

Mr Alcatraz

If you read the entire discourse you would see that I contested the claim that the due to the name of the race track containing the term "Americas" made Checo the de facto Home Course Pilot. I simply don't see it that way, if others want to that is fine. I'm not insulted the way MX is, I've had disagreements before with him about the way Mexicans (that I know) characterize themselves, that's all. When I see someone that is in a position of authority state that this fine Mexican pilot is the home driver I will acquiesce

Mr Alcatraz

hairy_scotsman wrote:I don't know what else to tell you
Produce a link that states your claim to the general public not just the local organizers.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

I never stated there was any "Official Home Driver" for COTA. I don;t know that anyone has done that. You're the only one talking about it that way. You want me to disprove something I'm not even asserting. Has anyone?

You asked for the COTA connection. I gave it to you with links. Now you say that's not what you wanted. This is stupid.

People talk about Perez all the time on Austin F1 Facebook pages (like ours), for starters, and on message boards like this one. We get together & everyone talks about Perez, Rossi, Gutierrez, etc. They're the only North American drivers even near F1. It's only natural. Can't link that, though, & besides, I've given you enough links. Find it yourself.

You're being ridiculous. This is utterly moronic and is merely an issue you've manufactured from nothing for...I don't know...attention, I guess.

Mr Alcatraz

Then you did not read this thread thoroughly enough! If Perez had roots in northern Mexico that would make sense, but he is from the Guadalajara area. We have a place between Downtown San Diego and Old Town called "Little Italy" I'm pretty sure it is not the domain of Flavio Briatore even though I'm sure he would approve of the cuisine :wink:
And what about the “Pequinos Keebleros” :lol:
As of this point in time the racer most associated with the track is Mario Andretti. He, if I an not mistaken is in some way formally associated with the track.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

My apologies for making a big deal out of it and going off topic.. even though I still feel the same. :mrgreen:

Now I just need to write some hate mail to Perez ... :lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.