McLaren MP4-28 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Paul

Re: McLaren MP4-28 (pre-launch speculation)

I also wouldn't call McLaren design "simple" as it does (or at least supposed to do) its thing all with air itself, while Red Bull design is more "brutal", visibly dividing flows by a solid structure.

Spacepace

Ringo posted CFD representing the Mclaren's exhaust in another thread a little while ago. What it showed was that the exhaust at slow air stream, because of the coanda effect, would bend and attach to the floor. I can't remember who but someone else had some CFD showing both exhausts but the air stream was like 100mph or something. It showed the Mclaren exhaust stream basically coming straight out and not attaching to the floor while the red bull one did. But what he didn't have on either car was all of the different flow conditioners that the McLaren has. I come to the conclusion that what was happening was that at high speeds that some of the airflow at the bottom of the sidepods would unattach itself from the sidepods and go straight below the exhaust exit, with that air having so much pressure the exhaust flow would just sit on top of that. That is is were McLarens flow conditioners come in. They where there to push that exhaust down as much as possible when travelling at high speeds. Just remember last how much they played with little winglets and flow conditioners.

The flow conditioners on top of the sidpod and side of chassis had a lot to do with getting the exhaust to bend under high speed, under slow speed it really didn't matter because it would bend down no matter what(coanda).

Another note is McLaren looked more stable through high speed corners then the Red Bull.

Cam

turbof1 wrote:Frankly, I think the mclaren one is the better because you want to maximize airflow to the back. Red Bull's ramp blocks alot of the airflow in order to guid the exhaust gasses better. That they made the ramp alot shorter later on and thus removing alot of obstructing bodywork, only confirms this in my eyes. Mclaren seems to achieve the same with the exhaust, but with a much better undercut.
Who do you want on your team, Newey or Lowe - that will tell you which is the better system to use.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Cam wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Frankly, I think the mclaren one is the better because you want to maximize airflow to the back. Red Bull's ramp blocks alot of the airflow in order to guid the exhaust gasses better. That they made the ramp alot shorter later on and thus removing alot of obstructing bodywork, only confirms this in my eyes. Mclaren seems to achieve the same with the exhaust, but with a much better undercut.
Who do you want on your team, Newey or Lowe - that will tell you which is the better system to use.
Who's real plan was banned immediately before being tested? That will tell you which of these designers had more time to think about their solution.

The fact that Newey is a genius does not mean that everything he designs is perfect. If it were, the McLaren would not have displayed superior pace at many races last year.

lukeaar
lukeaar

Cam wrote:Who do you want on your team, Newey or Lowe - that will tell you which is the better system to use.
Newey isn't god.

Shakeman

lukeaar wrote:
Cam wrote:Who do you want on your team, Newey or Lowe - that will tell you which is the better system to use.
Newey isn't god.
I'm sure he'd also be more modest about himself too and pay more tribute to the many other talented people in his team, however good Newey is he couldn't pull it off on his own. Macco squandered a great opportunity last year because the rest of the team wasn't on it to the same degree as driver and car designers were.

Anyway, back on topic.

So far we have RB style exhaust 1 - 0 Macca Style exhaust, it'll be interesting to see what the dominant philosophy ends up being.

Will we know which way Macca are going come launch day because last year they had a faux solution on it? Only testing revealed the detail.

Coefficient
Coefficient

Shakeman wrote:
lukeaar wrote:
Newey isn't god.
I'm sure he'd also be more modest about himself too and pay more tribute to the many other talented people in his team, however good Newey is he couldn't pull it off on his own. Macco squandered a great opportunity last year because the rest of the team wasn't on it to the same degree as driver and car designers were.

Anyway, back on topic.

So far we have RB style exhaust 1 - 0 Macca Style exhaust, it'll be interesting to see what the dominant philosophy ends up being.

Will we know which way Macca are going come launch day because last year they had a faux solution on it? Only testing revealed the detail.
Yeah they launched the 27 with a couple of Salt Sellers instead of exhaust exits. Was totally baffling. I expect similar subterfuge again this time. It all adds to the fun really and makes me think there should be "Pre Launch Speculation Threads" "Interim Launch Speculation Threads" whilst we await the first test and then the actual thread when the car hits the track properly.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

NathanOlder

The car reveal will be broadcast exclusively LIVE and direct from the MTC from 10:30am – and will be available to watch on McLaren.com and across our social media platforms: the official YouTube, Facebook and Google+ pages.

(not sure if anyone posted already)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

wunderkind
wunderkind

I actually don't look forward to the unveil of the new McLaren. It's going to be a boring affair and they are not going to win much this year.

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

appears we have a fortune teller on the forum! how do you know it will be boring and that McLaren wont win much, lets at least wait for the actual car to be shown before you start judging it huh

Cam

Maybe what was meant by boring, is the launch car will probably be another red herring.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

ok i get that but how can he judge a car before its even turned a wheel on a track lol

wunderkind
wunderkind

With last season's rules carried over to this season largely unchanged. I fail to see the possibility of any new innovative and ground-breaking components on the MP4-28.

stefan_
stefan_

When it managed to stay in one piece and finish a race, the 27 was very good, so I expect the same thing for the 28 minus the reliability issues.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

wunderkind
wunderkind

stefan_ wrote:When it managed to stay in one piece and finish a race, the 27 was very good, so I expect the same thing for the 28 minus the reliability issues.
I hope so, but we havent seen a McLaren quick out of the box for many years......................