Poll: Who deserves the WDC title 2012 the most?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who do you think deserves the WDC title 2012 the most?

Poll ended at 09 Mar 2013, 23:22

Sebastian Vettel
23%
Fernando Alonso
35%
Kimi Räikkönen
7%
Lewis Hamilton
32%
Jenson Button
No votes
Michael Schumacher
2%
Other driver
1%

Total votes: 128

Cylinder
Cylinder

Re: Poll: Who deserves the WDC title 2012 the most?

WhiteBlue wrote:Sometimes the team mate statistics do not tell the whole story. And I concede that it was more an impression than something I could prove by hard data. We have to watch Alonso in a superior car like the 2007 McLaren again to judge him on his qualifying performance. If I remember right he did not outshine a very green Hamilton at that time. In fact it ended Alonso 2 vs Hamilton 6. I would call that a chink in his amor. Not a big deal if you are as good as he is at his race craft. Nevertheless his competitors did better when they had the tools to do so.
As much as people say, Hamilton was a rookie, that was his best season ever till this date, and Alonso was not at his best that season.

End result, level on points, same amount of wins, same amount of second places.

Nando
Nando

And third places.

Alonso had just become a 2 time world champ and he was given another championship winning car.
However he had a teammate that was "bothering him" to paraphrase Luca.
We know Alonso can break slightly if the teammate is as good as him or close to that.

Frankly i don´t know of any other modern driver like Hamilton who´s apart from Heikki, has only had world champions as teammates.
And beaten them both at that.
Last edited by Nando on 26 Nov 2012, 23:28, edited 2 times in total.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

WhiteBlue

Cylinder wrote:As much as people say, Hamilton was a rookie, that was his best season ever till this date, and Alonso was not at his best that season.
The issue is a bit off topic but wouldn't you say that 2008 with the WDC was a better season for Hamilton?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Cylinder
Cylinder

WhiteBlue wrote:
Cylinder wrote:As much as people say, Hamilton was a rookie, that was his best season ever till this date, and Alonso was not at his best that season.
The issue is a bit off topic but wouldn't you say that 2008 with the WDC was a better season for Hamilton?
No.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

WhiteBlue wrote:It is difficult to make such an appreciation. All three contenders have a lot to go for.

Alonso was outstanding this season and has probably driven the best season of his career so far. He delivers with a rock steady confidence but his performance is also flattered by a very humiliating team policy towards his team mate. Towards the season's end Massa really demonstrated what he can do when the car gets right and the team call for him. So one has to assume that the early season hopeless Massa has something to do with the crushing imbalance of the driver appreciation within that team. It makes Alonso look better than he probably is. Alonso also has to concede the qualifying crown to both Vettel and Hamilton. They appear to be much better at extracting one lap performance from a car. Alonso shared that deficit with Michael Schumacher.

Hamilton equally has a lot to go for. He is probably the most improved driver of the three contenders this year. He delivered a few very inspired drives and often did his magic in the qualifying lap and we love him for that. He suffered most from operational blunders of his team, lack of reliability and DNFs cause by other drivers from the leading trio. He should really have won the Brazil race and the fact that he did not just sums up a season where lady luck crapped all over him.

Vettel is the least experienced man of the three in terms of GP starts but already a seasoned veteran in terms of WDC campaigning. His qualifying skill is second to none. He isn't as experienced as Alonso in the race craft department and it shows sometimes when you have to dig deep and make an eye blink decision how to deal with a hairy situation in traffic. Alonso is arguably vastly more experienced and frequently makes better calls in such situations. But that is about the only small thing one could say detrimental of Seb. He did not have the fastest car for most of the season nor the most reliable but his team made practically no operational errors and when his car was fast he made it count. In the face of adversity he kept his nerves as seen in Abu Dhabi and Interlagos.

I would say that all three deserved the title equally and the one with more luck and the better team performance got it in the end.
That is a fantastic summation WB
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

WhiteBlue

Nando wrote:Frankly i don´t know of any other modern driver like Hamilton who´s apart from Heikki, has only had world champions as teammates.
A very astute observation about Hamilton. I must admit I like and admire the guy. He stirres more emotions than Vettel does with his exuberant style and personality.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Cylinder
Cylinder

WhiteBlue wrote:
Nando wrote:Frankly i don´t know of any other modern driver like Hamilton who´s apart from Heikki, has only had world champions as teammates.
A very astute observation about Hamilton. I must admit I like and admire the guy. He stirres more emotions than Vettel does with his exuberant style and personality.
Hamilton fears no one, he honestly believes no one can touch him on his day. He's a natural born racer, but sometimes he's a bit too racey, still on his day, he's nigh on untouchable, Personally, when Alonso is ready to finish at Ferrari I would love to see Lewis here, the Tifosi would go nuts over him once he started winning races, he's fast, passionate, racey, a proper ferrari driver in many ways. I bet we mess up and get Vettel instead, just like we messed up getting kimi to replace schuey in 07......Horrible decision.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Cylinder wrote:Alonso.

Clearly.

Lord help the rest of Formula one if this man gets the best car, I can promise you the title wont be going down to the final race.
The same can be said of Hamilton. Hell, the McLaren this year was probably equally best over the season and, but for reliability issues and a couple of impacts from other drivers, he would have been WDC before Brazil.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Just_a_fan wrote:
Cylinder wrote:Alonso.

Clearly.

Lord help the rest of Formula one if this man gets the best car, I can promise you the title wont be going down to the final race.
The same can be said of Hamilton. Hell, the McLaren this year was probably equally best over the season and, but for reliability issues and a couple of impacts from other drivers, he would have been WDC before Brazil.
The irony being that this has happened... And neither won, because they were equally awesome, and kept taking each other's points.

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Who deserves the WDC title 2012 the most?
Depends on how one defines "deserves".

Seems like the sanctioning body already has a position on this... and possibly a manner of determining it...

Joie de vivre

Intego

Adrian Newby wrote:

Seems like the sanctioning body already has a position on this... and possibly a manner of determining it...
Depends on how one defines "do you think".
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Intego wrote:
Adrian Newby wrote:

Depends on how one defines "do you think".
*I think* the main title of this thread is "Poll: Who deserves the WDC title 2012 the most?"

McG

The person that won it.
F1 is dead.

Intego

Adrian Newby wrote:*I think* the main title of this thread is "Poll: Who deserves the WDC title 2012 the most?"
Don't be nit-picky, it was to keep the title short, the poll question is "Who do you think deserves the WDC title 2012 the most?".
It's quite obvious that we express our opinions. "To deserve" is always a human feeling and hence subjective. That's why the title is not "Who became World Champion 2012?" as the answer is Sebastian Vettel.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules