Pikes Peak

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Scootin159
Scootin159

Re: Pikes Peak

Huntresa wrote:I assume they req a role cage cause of the chance that you can fall down a hill ? But at the same time, how often has that happend in the modern days?
Oh, about every year.

Really the cage isn't so much to help in the case of a rollover down a cliff (a roll bar would work pretty well there) - but more so to handle cases where the car goes off into trees or hit large rocks while going down that cliff. It's pretty standard practice (at least in the US) to require a full cage when there's inadequate guardrails on a hillclimb - otherwise going off into the trees could easily decapitate a driver if they caught a branch directly to the face.

That said - seems they could easily "fix" an Indy car or F1 car by adding a simple exoskeleton with a-pillars and halo bar made out of steel aero tubing.

flynfrog

Huntresa wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:Interesting info from http://www.racer.com/insight-loebs-labo ... le/300570/
Originally, it was going to be his fellow Frenchman Romain Dumas slated for the Pikes Peak drive, but with Dumas being a Porsche factory driver the situation became complicated.

With Red Bull on board (after the energy drink company's original idea to take a Formula 1 car up the hill was vetoed, due to the requirement for a rollcage) Loeb was approached to drive the 208, thanks to his personal links with Red Bull.
The article contains some more info about the Peugeot and how Loeb has learned to race track.
I could have been an interesting race between the F1 car and the Indycar, that Simon Pagenaud wanted to compete with. But it seems the Indycar entry was rejected for the same reasons. Can't find any article about the Indycar right now, but i have read about that some weeks ago.

I assume they req a role cage cause of the chance that you can fall down a hill ? But at the same time, how often has that happens in the modern days?
some one does it about every year between the race and practice.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Scootin159 wrote:
Huntresa wrote:I assume they req a role cage cause of the chance that you can fall down a hill ? But at the same time, how often has that happend in the modern days?
Oh, about every year.

Really the cage isn't so much to help in the case of a rollover down a cliff (a roll bar would work pretty well there) - but more so to handle cases where the car goes off into trees or hit large rocks while going down that cliff. It's pretty standard practice (at least in the US) to require a full cage when there's inadequate guardrails on a hillclimb - otherwise going off into the trees could easily decapitate a driver if they caught a branch directly to the face.

That said - seems they could easily "fix" an Indy car or F1 car by adding a simple exoskeleton with a-pillars and halo bar made out of steel aero tubing.
Or just add a window ? As in like the FIA tested last year, so they would get like LMP1 cars have in le mans. That would protect the driver and wouldnt rly take away from the aero performance.

Edit: I mean this a canopy http://www.snotr.com/video/7635/FIA_jet_canopy_test

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Electric cars are really fast this year, almost the same level as Dayraut!

Qualifying Run 1

Qualifying Run 2

Qualifying Run 3

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

bdr529

Huntresa wrote: I assume they req a role cage cause of the chance that you can fall down a hill ? But at the same time, how often has that happend in the modern days?
They still go over the edge every year
Here's 2 video clips from last year and I think they show the need for the full roll cage and not just a roll bar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCCNNpmt8ds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... 0hUsNFyvNk

MadMatt
MadMatt

Coverage will start in few minutes on the RedBull website!

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Looks like there's some light rain at the moment!

gray41

Does anyone know the time Loeb will be heading up?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

I think Loeb will be at the start within the next 30 minutes, but there could be a delay right now. The race has been red flagged cause a motorcycle caught fire after a crash.

Until now the roads seem to be dry, but some rain is expected today.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

8:13.878 min =D> =D>

Edit: Red Flag, caused by Dumas?
Last edited by Blanchimont on 30 Jun 2013, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Blanchimont wrote:8:13.878 min =D> =D>
Pretty close to the guess on the previous page :D

zonk
zonk

WhiteBlue

Those unguarded sections in the devils play ground are dangerous like hell. And there are still a lot of spectators in places where they should not be. These hill climbs are a bit crazy IMO. Good that they have at least put asphalt on the whole length now.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

MadMatt
MadMatt

Yes congrats Loeb, perfect show of driver preparation (with help of his co-driver), car preparation (engine was perfectly tuned for altitude, thanks to VTG), and good weather. I was honestly expecting a time between 8'30 and 8'45 but not 8'15, that is really really fast.

There was also no proper opposition but that has been the case for years now. The fact that Loeb came helped Rhys to go beyond his limits, because a time of 9'30 was more than possible already last year if not in 2011, so it is great. I am sure next year he will also be part of the 8 minutes club.

WhiteBlue this is correct, there was places where spectators weren't correctly placed, but the fact that the race is paved makes the car go much faster, so maybe gravel would have been better down there. Anyway we cannot change that so... The coverage SUCKED as well, and the commentators were useless (to stay polite to the American members here).

But congrats Loeb, a good demonstration of team work, driver on top of his form, and perfect racecourse conditions!

:)