Pikes Peak

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Pikes Peak

It's based on the Toyota EV P002 which did the Nordschleife record somewhere last year. And that car indeed is based on the Radical SR4
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MadMatt
MadMatt

wesley123 wrote:And here is the Toyota. As you can see the Front Wing is much more forward/lower than in the drawing
Cheers, it makes more sense! :)

langwadt
langwadt

jamsbong wrote:I don't have real figures but I think they are in the 200+kmh at max speed. Maybe 250 at best.
The newly paved Pikes Peak means they can go faster. Cars will go faster than ever.

I think existing record of Tajima should be in a separate category since they can't be compared with a fully paved version.

I'm curious if, now that it is all paved, anyone has tried a Chaparral 2J like car ?

flynfrog

langwadt wrote:
jamsbong wrote:I don't have real figures but I think they are in the 200+kmh at max speed. Maybe 250 at best.
The newly paved Pikes Peak means they can go faster. Cars will go faster than ever.

I think existing record of Tajima should be in a separate category since they can't be compared with a fully paved version.

I'm curious if, now that it is all paved, anyone has tried a Chaparral 2J like car ?

I don't believe any one has tried a sucker car.

The rule book for any one interested

http://www.ppihc.com/wp-content/uploads ... lebook.pdf

I don't see it being outlawed but I haven't dug all the way into the rule book lately

The rules for unlimited are as follows

UNLIMITED DIVISION
TECHNICAL REGULATIONS and SPECIAL RULES
Organizers have determined that there must be a minimum number of six (6) legitimate
entries. See Part II, subsections 2.4.1 and 2.4.2
The number of qualifiers for any division shall be established by the PPIHC. The PPIHC
reserves the right to disqualify any competitor who qualifies outside a percentage (115%)
of the fastest time in the division. The PPIHC shall be allowed to add to the field at its
discretion. See Part VIII, subsections 8.2.4 and 8.2.5.
The Director of Competition will determine the eligibility of a vehicle for the Unlimited Division.
This division will allow any race vehicle invited by PPIHC and capable of obtaining a new track
record, to take part in this Unlimited Division.
All vehicles entered must meet safety requirements as outlined in the “Safety & Construction
Technical Regulations Section” and adhere to the “General Competition Rules”
1. Tires: See Safety Rules. See Addendum on page 74
A. The Unlimited Division is the only division without a tire rule. See Addendum on
page 74

MadMatt
MadMatt

In Racecar Engineering of this month (June), I can read that Peugeot will compete (as expected) in the unlimited class with the 208. I also read that Racecar Engineering states aerodynamic rule limitations such as rear wing width and height. The thing is that I had a look at the Pikes Peak rulebook for months now and followed all additions to it, and there is NOWHERE any aero rule for the unlimited class. The limitations Racecar Engineering are talking about is for the Open class.

So have I missed something or is that a mistake from them?

Here is the rulebook, read at page 75 for what they are talking about and page 53 for the unlimited class section: http://www.ppihc.com/wp-content/uploads ... lebook.pdf

:)

wesley123
wesley123

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWXTvShw3IA[/youtube]

Stubled upon this vid while browsing youtube

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

This lower rearwing airfoil on the Mini doesn't look like it'll produce a lot of downforce judging from the position it is mounted right behind the car.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

MadMatt
MadMatt

Very nice! Since I saw his name in the unlimited class I was wondering what the Mini might look like! And it does indeed look what you can expect from a Pikes Peak car. As Blanchimont said, the lower element of the rear wing is not really effective, but I guess every bit counts. I am actually surprised he kept the rear view mirrors. This is quite a big mistake if it stays like this because it upsets the flow to that lower rear wing element even more!

Waiting for the specs, but I think he is running with engine in the back. This would explain the large opening in the bonnet. I know WRC engines are mounted really really low in the engine bay,but pretty sure the engine is at the back. Not sure about the front wing too, but I guess they know what they are doing (cooling-wise too).

I also see no rear diffuser, strange, but there is no doubt it looks like big attention to detail has been used there!

1 more video there:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPag5O5i ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

Not much to see but still something.

:)

wesley123
wesley123

My guess it would create a 'tunnel' behind the car. Also the lower deck gives diffuser air a surface to attach too

jamsbong
jamsbong

MadMatt wrote:I'm glad more people are interested in Pikes Peak, for a second I thought I was alone there :D
I also love Pikes Peak and WRC. To me, Pikes Peak unlimited is crazy and reminded me of the Group-B rallies. Just look at Seb's Peugeot T16, it looked like it is spawn from hell with a sole purpose of winning this hill climb. Moreover, Tajima's 86 barely even resembles the actual 86. haha...

Anyone knows if there will be a live broadcast of this event?

MadMatt
MadMatt

I've heard Eurosport will broadcast the event, but don't know if live or not. :)

Huntresa
Huntresa

Funny how everyone is complaing bout the rearwing, dont you think they have done windtunnel tests? ITs not like they bolted on a RW and went with it.

See this article for the track test video http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=27823

MadMatt
MadMatt

Well, to have an efficient beam wing (let's call it like this), it needs to be filled with air. The slanted rear of the Mini (as per the Dacia the same driver used last year), will help, but the main use of such thing was on sport-prototypes and formula cars with nice air flow over it. Plus, if he did proper wing tunnel testing as you say, why not having a 3D airfoil profile? the air flow on the side is not the same as the air flow in the middle.

I am not complaining about the wing, just saying it won't really be effective, although I am interested to see aero results for it to see the influence of the slant! :)

theblackangus
theblackangus

Anyone else going to Pikes Peak this year?
I just booked my reservations. =)

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

I'm pretty sure the Mini was taken to the wind tunnel, just like the team did with the Dacia, as can be seen in the video.
And i'm sure that in the wind tunnel the best position for the WHOLE rear wing was found, but i still would say that the lower element is mounted to close to the car and to low. In the video the flow over the top of the Dacia is visualized with some smoke and you can see that the smoke flows right under the upper airfoil, the flow around the rear view mirrors and the side can also be seen.

Does anybody know which car the rear wing was taken from or if it is a new development just for the Mini?

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltqrSOVMV74[/youtube]
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)