Pikes Peak

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Pierce89

Re: Pikes Peak

Blanchimont wrote:
The only advantage for bikes i can image are higher top speeds because of lower drag numbers
Slighly off topic and nit picky but, bikes actually have very high drag compared to non open wheel cars.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

I'm speaking of cd*A, not just cd.

Let's calculate!

Moto GP Top Speed: 349,288 kmh with 800ccm Honda, assumed power 154 kW

P = rho/2*cd*A*v³ -> cd*A = P / (rho/2*v³) = 154000 / (1,2/2*(349,288/3,6)³) = 0,281 m²

Normal road cars: cd ~0,3 A~2 m² cd*A = 0,6 m²

Non open wheel cars cd ~0,4 A~1,8m² cd*A = 0,72 m²

F1: cd ~1 A ~ 1,4 m² cd*A = 1,4 m²
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Huntresa
Huntresa

Blanchimont wrote:Red Bull is already involved in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. They support both Loeb and Millen, the top two car drivers this year.
Red Bull Pikes Peak News

And i'm not sure if a F1 car will be faster up the road because Pikes Peak is not an usual smooth race track and has narrow turns that are difficult to take for a F1 car. The 208 of Loeb has more power than an F1 car, i would guess the same amount of downforce or slightly more, very wide tyres that provide grip, very short gear ratios that allow a top speed of 240kmh and a well prepared suspension that suits the track. The only "negative" point is the weight of 875kg, more than 200kg above F1 level, but weight isn't everything in racing.

Acceleration numbers are (source):

1,8s for 0-100 kmh (better than F1!)
7s for 0-240 kmh (similar to F1)

yeah but thats why i said unlimited F1, like the imagined car of Newey for Gran Turismo, with pretty much every innovation know to have existed within the F1 world, i know its just a fantasy but it would be amazing to see such a project.

I mean i know they use real cars as starting points cause of commercial reasons i assume, but one can dream :D

And if you dont know what car im talking about its this one,

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Yeah, i know what car you're talking about, i've driven it already... in Gran Turismo! :D

But i still would say that this car will not take narrow corners as fast as Loeb's 208 because of the longer wheelbase of an F1.
And i'm pretty sure the Gran Turismo Newey car requires an absolutly smooth race track to work proper with its underbody, not what Pikes Peak is.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Huntresa
Huntresa

Blanchimont wrote:Yeah, i know what car you're talking about, i've driven it already... in Gran Turismo! :D

But i still would say that this car will not take narrow corners as fast as Loeb's 208 because of the longer wheelbase of an F1.
And i'm pretty sure the Gran Turismo Newey car requires an absolutly smooth race track to work proper with its underbody, not what Pikes Peak is.
Yeah and im still not saying that actual car should run Pikes Peak, but one made for Pikes Peak with its starting point being from F1, just because its starting point will be F1 doesnt mean it will behave, look or act like one.

As i said above a project.

And as for the bumpy track, wont active suspension solve that ?

wesley123
wesley123

Huntresa wrote:Maybe this has been asked before, but why doesnt anyone, like Red Bull who likes to do these kinds of things put up or build an F1 car for this ?

Or build an unlimited F1 car, like the one imagined by Newey for Grand Turismo, cause this has to be the only race where you can go real unlimited.
In an "unlimited" design an open wheel racer is inferior to a closed wheel design. It isnt without reason that that Red Bull thingy has wheel covers.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Huntresa
Huntresa

wesley123 wrote:
Huntresa wrote:Maybe this has been asked before, but why doesnt anyone, like Red Bull who likes to do these kinds of things put up or build an F1 car for this ?

Or build an unlimited F1 car, like the one imagined by Newey for Grand Turismo, cause this has to be the only race where you can go real unlimited.
In an "unlimited" design an open wheel racer is inferior to a closed wheel design. It isnt without reason that that Red Bull thingy has wheel covers.
Yeah and in unlimited you can cover the wheels, so ?

wesley123
wesley123

So why building an "unlimited F1 car" when it's open wheel design is inferior in whatever way possible?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Huntresa
Huntresa

wesley123 wrote:So why building an "unlimited F1 car" when it's open wheel design is inferior in whatever way possible?
As i said before the starting point would be F1 and all its fine stuff thru the years, like Active Suspension and ground effect.

Just so the starting point isnt a production model of a normal car, i mean a le mans prototype would also be cool to see going up Pikes Peak.

Pierce89

Blanchimont wrote:I'm speaking of cd*A, not just cd.

Let's calculate!

P = rho/2*cd*A*v³ -> cd*A = P / (rho/2*v³) = 154000 / (1,2/2*(349,288/3,6)³) = 0,281 m²

But a motogp bike is super slippery compared to the dirtbikes they run on Pikes Peak, and I'd guess your assumed power is too low for a motogp bike. Nowadays, they're more like 180 kW, maybe even more.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Huntresa
Huntresa

Pierce89 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:I'm speaking of cd*A, not just cd.

Let's calculate!

But a motogp bike is super slippery compared to the dirtbikes they run on Pikes Peak, and I'd guess your assumed power is too low for a motogp bike. Nowadays, they're more like 180 kW, maybe even more.
Yeah its 180 kW

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

The Moto GP Honda i used in the calculation has only 800cc, not 1000cc as today. Therefore the power of 154kW is more realistic than the 180kW, that refer to 1000cc bikes!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_RC212V

And i agree that the Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak, which holds the current motorcycle record at Pikes Peak produces more drag than a superbike or MotoGP bike, but cd*A is still lower than at cars!

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

It seems like Eurosport is broadcasting this year live from the race.
https://twitter.com/EurosportFrance/sta ... 1778044929

Online streams should be available through:
http://www.peugeot-sport.com/en/home.html
http://live.redbull.tv
http://www.ppihc.com

Huntresa
Huntresa

Blanchimont wrote:It seems like Eurosport is broadcasting this year live from the race.
https://twitter.com/EurosportFrance/sta ... 1778044929

Online streams should be available through:
http://www.peugeot-sport.com/en/home.html
http://live.redbull.tv
http://www.ppihc.com

Eurosport 1 i hope, but then again we are 8hrs ahead of them, is there any time scheduele for the race btw ?

Edit: Ah they start 8am, thats nice for us in Europe, 16.00 for me in sweden.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont