Pikes Peak

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
jamsbong
jamsbong

Re: Pikes Peak

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

If i extrapolate the latest testing times of Loeb from june 15th ( Link to results ) and if the sectors mentioned in the pdf are the same as in the 2012 results table , my guess for Loeb's 2013 time will be

3:25.839 / 4:01.78 * 9:34.000 = 8:08.7 min

The 4:01.78 is Rhys Millens time from last year for the first two sectors and the 9:34 is his non-rain adjusted overall time from 2012.

Pretty close match with my previous guess earlier in this thread. Is there any website that allows betting on Loeb to do the race in less than nine minutes? :mrgreen:

Edit:
Another interesting point from last year's result table is the speed of Jean Phillipe Dayraut. Although he didn't finish, he was clearly faster than Millen. This year, he will participate in a "Mini", pictures were already posted on the first pages of this thread.

His times last year in comparison to Millen:

1 67 Rhys Millen 9:46.164 1:42.245 2:19.535 2:45.887 2:58.497 Time Attack
DNF 3 Jean P.Dayraut - 1:41.748 2:16.147 2:38.675 Unlimited
delta 0.506 3.388 7.212 11.106

If i correct Millens time to 9:34 because of the rain and substract 11,106s and maybe 3s for the last sector, the theoretical Pikes Peak record of Dayraut would be in the region of 9:20 min! Seems like he went of the road with a brake failure in the last sector.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

JP Dayraut did some aero testing with wool tuft on his MINI. They tested two different rear wing types, a two profile and a single profile wing. Maybe they've read the comments in this thread on the two profile rear wing !? :D
Will be interesting to see which configuration they'll use next weekend at Pikes Peak.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1160k ... eures_auto
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

MadMatt
MadMatt

Loeb confirmed in an interview that he went under 9min on the whole racecourse but didn't say the exact time because he is unsure if he could redo it during the race. From how he said it, it sounded like he was way way below 9!

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

For me it's almost certain that Dayraut and Loeb both will destroy the existing record. And don't forget Dumas!

As race week has just begun with tech inspection yesterday, i think youtube will provide a lot of videos till sunday.
Cars and bikes will test every day from now on except on saturday.
http://www.ppihc.com/2013-spectator-race-week-schedule/

flynfrog

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013062 ... dailydrive

It could be a new record in quite a few classes this year.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Mother of God, Loeb is masterclass

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Qualifying Run 1

Qualifying Run 2

Huntresa
Huntresa

Its not even funny how much better Loeb and that car are compared to the rest.

j2004p
j2004p

Barring any accidents or technical gremlins I think we can safely assume the record is getting broken this year

MadMatt
MadMatt

j2004p wrote:Barring any accidents or technical gremlins I think we can safely assume the record is getting broken this year
I think this was said the day they paved the whole racecourse.

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Interesting info from http://www.racer.com/insight-loebs-labo ... le/300570/
Originally, it was going to be his fellow Frenchman Romain Dumas slated for the Pikes Peak drive, but with Dumas being a Porsche factory driver the situation became complicated.

With Red Bull on board (after the energy drink company's original idea to take a Formula 1 car up the hill was vetoed, due to the requirement for a rollcage) Loeb was approached to drive the 208, thanks to his personal links with Red Bull.
The article contains some more info about the Peugeot and how Loeb has learned to race track.
I could have been an interesting race between the F1 car and the Indycar, that Simon Pagenaud wanted to compete with. But it seems the Indycar entry was rejected for the same reasons. Can't find any article about the Indycar right now, but i have read about that some weeks ago.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Blanchimont wrote:Interesting info from http://www.racer.com/insight-loebs-labo ... le/300570/
Originally, it was going to be his fellow Frenchman Romain Dumas slated for the Pikes Peak drive, but with Dumas being a Porsche factory driver the situation became complicated.

With Red Bull on board (after the energy drink company's original idea to take a Formula 1 car up the hill was vetoed, due to the requirement for a rollcage) Loeb was approached to drive the 208, thanks to his personal links with Red Bull.
The article contains some more info about the Peugeot and how Loeb has learned to race track.
I could have been an interesting race between the F1 car and the Indycar, that Simon Pagenaud wanted to compete with. But it seems the Indycar entry was rejected for the same reasons. Can't find any article about the Indycar right now, but i have read about that some weeks ago.

I assume they req a role cage cause of the chance that you can fall down a hill ? But at the same time, how often has that happend in the modern days?