Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

mclaren_mircea wrote:
"Pirelli will get the opportunity to test its 2014 tyres on current-spec cars after the FIA agreed it would be beneficial for the sport, considering their last attempt during Brazil's free practice was rained off. Only a handful of laps were completed on the prototype tyres, leaving Pirelli will insufficient data to aid development of the new compounds which will have to cope with a massive increase in torque thanks to the new engines. The details of the test have been kept private, but it will take place within the next two weeks at the Bahrain International Circuit and 2013 cars will be used. Pirelli has, as per the FIA's request, invited all the teams to participate, but only Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes have agreed due to the costs associated with running a car during what is thought to be a three-day test. - See more at: http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/0 ... ikGUc.dpuf"
What is Mclaren doing? I don't think that they don't have the money for a 3 day test with Pirelli? What reasons can they have not to participate? Are they to sure on their simulator? #-o
Peresumably they think they won't get any valuable data, because they won't get the level of torque required.

Holm86

mclaren_mircea wrote:
"Pirelli will get the opportunity to test its 2014 tyres on current-spec cars after the FIA agreed it would be beneficial for the sport, considering their last attempt during Brazil's free practice was rained off. Only a handful of laps were completed on the prototype tyres, leaving Pirelli will insufficient data to aid development of the new compounds which will have to cope with a massive increase in torque thanks to the new engines. The details of the test have been kept private, but it will take place within the next two weeks at the Bahrain International Circuit and 2013 cars will be used. Pirelli has, as per the FIA's request, invited all the teams to participate, but only Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes have agreed due to the costs associated with running a car during what is thought to be a three-day test. - See more at: http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/0 ... ikGUc.dpuf"
What is Mclaren doing? I don't think that they don't have the money for a 3 day test with Pirelli? What reasons can they have not to participate? Are they to sure on their simulator? #-o
Perhaps they have gotten enough info from their Vallelunga test a few weeks back.?

Pup
Pup

My understanding is that they weren't invited.

Thunder

Pup wrote:My understanding is that they weren't invited.
As the Text states, every Team was invited.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Pup
Pup

La Gazetta says that only the top 4 teams were invited and of those only lotus declined.

adrianjordan

Presumably all the data will be shared with all the teams anyway...and how relevant is the performance of the tyres on a 2013 car anyway - the worry is torque, not cornering loads as I understand it...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Pup
Pup

I think McLaren said something to the same effect last year. Turned out that first hand experience with the tires was pretty damned valuable.

Sebp

Forgive my laziness of not going through tons of thread pages. Has it been discussed here that McLaren didn't announce their new sponsor as planned, yesterday?
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

astracrazy
astracrazy

yes it was already announced by MW its delayed and that it will be likely announced at the car release. If that has anything to do with Perez leaving I don't know. Depends if you believe he was only ever there because of the money he could bring or not

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

There is a lot of speculation about a meeting between Alonso and Whitmarsh in Spain these days. I can't see the reason for taking Alonso back in 2015. He will be 34 years, only one year younger than Jenson (Alonso was born on July 1981, while Jenson on January 1980). It doesn't make sense.

We all knew Whitmash's "obssesion" with Jenson, talking to us about how smart and good drives is Jenson, and I think this was one of the reasons, why Hamilton left de theam. Or I can't imagine they will sacrificate Magnussen's talent and fire him after only 1 year, even if he will not get the best results, because next year should be a learning and adapting year for Kevin. If they will throw him away, his morale will collapse and he will never recover to that point to can drive for another top team again in F1.

Mclaren should know that it's a veru increased risk that with all the new regulations. Kevin will not be at his best from the very first year. It would be very sadly that he will reiterate his father's carrer. And if Kevin really performs, I doubt that Alonso will want to reiterate his destiny from 2007, to come as the leading driver, but to deal with a very talented Mclaren young protege. After one year with the team, Kevin might be faster than Alonso, and I really can't see Alonso to enter in such a complicated relationship again with Mclaren.

All this theories are makeing really improbable an Alonso return to Mclaren in 2015. They should keep Kevin and go with Jenson for another 1 or 2 years, than is the Honda engines is competitive try to lure Vettel (a driver 6 years younger than Alonso, and 7 years younger than Jenson). Or if they can't take Vettel (because Lauda's pressure might finally take him to Mercedes), to wait and see which good driver will be availeble on the market by than, except Hamilton, because I really can't see Mclaren opening their arms to Lewis, given that almost all the bridges were burnded when he left.

Sebp

mclaren_mircea wrote:He will be 34 years, only one year younger than Jenson (Alonso was born on July 1981, while Jenson on January 1980). It doesn't make sense.
Ayrton Senna was 34 in 1994.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Holm86

I can only see Alonso replacing Button if Alonso joins McLaren for 2015.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Gazzetta reports Ron Dennis is trying to bring Ross Brawn to McLaren for 2015.

via Jose Luisf1

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Juzh

This surely will shut the doors for alonso.