Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Cocles

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2013

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... -notebook/

Glad to see they're not just shrugging over protecting their intellectual property from McLaren and Honda. I wonder what Merc can do to protect themselves.

clipsy1H

good start for this team! both cars are out with gearbox problems :) so if they change gb both drivers get 5 grid penalty?? ](*,)

by the way; WELCOME TO MERCEDES LEWIS :mrgreen:

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

clipsy1H wrote:good start for this team! both cars are out with gearbox problems :) so if they change gb both drivers get 5 grid penalty?? ](*,)

They wont get penalty, this is training!

clipsy1H

k.ko100v wrote:
clipsy1H wrote:good start for this team! both cars are out with gearbox problems :) so if they change gb both drivers get 5 grid penalty?? ](*,)

nice :) Lewis still can be on podium but with this reliability :roll:

Anon123
Anon123

clipsy1H wrote:
k.ko100v wrote:

nice :) Lewis still can be on podium but with this reliability :roll:
Well they covered the most miles in Barcelona testing and apparently the issue was related to the Mclaren supplied ECU.

gibells
gibells

Cocles wrote:http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... -notebook/

Glad to see they're not just shrugging over protecting their intellectual property from McLaren and Honda. I wonder what Merc can do to protect themselves.

I wonder if they're prepared to pull the supply to McLaren completely?

Cocles

Toto Wolff responding to a question regarding the amount of money top teams spend in F1:

"If you look at the media value of some of our races, it's huge. I remember I read a figure about Mercedes winning in Shanghai last year and it had a media value of about 60 million for our brand, so the question is that you have to put that in relation: how much do we spend and how much value do we generate for our partners? I think that ratio is still healthy."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106060

So a win in Shanghai was worth 60 million (euros? dollars? anyway...). Interesting. One can only guess what a win at a more prestigious circuit like Monaco would be worth.

Anon123
Anon123

gibells wrote:

I wonder if they're prepared to pull the supply to McLaren completely?
Mclaren are in a very tricky situation at the moment, 2013 and 2014 already look like they could be difficult seasons with the 2013 car looking like a bit of a dog and Merc saying they will "protect themselves" in 2014 and what if Honda decide not to come into F1 in 2015?
Cocles wrote:Toto Wolff responding to a question regarding the amount of money top teams spend in F1:

"If you look at the media value of some of our races, it's huge. I remember I read a figure about Mercedes winning in Shanghai last year and it had a media value of about 60 million for our brand, so the question is that you have to put that in relation: how much do we spend and how much value do we generate for our partners? I think that ratio is still healthy."

So a win in Shanghai was worth 60 million (euros? dollars? anyway...). Interesting. One can only guess what a win at a more prestigious circuit like Monaco would be worth.
Well China is a huge market so I can't imagine Monaco being worth much more if it is.

clipsy1H

Cocles wrote:Toto Wolff responding to a question regarding the amount of money top teams spend in F1:

i don't know if just that win worth 60 millions i think all results of last year :D (podiums) because just 1 win can't bring you 60 millions! think about how much money Red Bull could have received in 2011 when they won 12 race :wtf:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Presumably Mercedes will just deliver a totally sealed engine to McLaren. They'll have to seal various things to prevent someone outside of Mercedes opening things and having a look at various inner workings. Obviously some areas are sealed anyway because of the rules but there's nothing to stop additional items being fitted with seals.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

OppositeLock
OppositeLock

They had an imaginary pole positon at Monaco. That must have been worth plenty. :)

Cocles

clipsy1H wrote:

i don't know if just that win worth 60 millions i think all results of last year :D (podiums) because just 1 win can't bring you 60 millions! think about how much money Red Bull could have received in 2011 when they won 12 race :wtf:
You're joking right? The head of Mercedes-Benz Motorspot flat out tells us how much media value their win in China was worth for their brand, and your response is to argue that he's wrong? #-o Please regale us with your qualifications, and explain to us why, "just 1 win can't bring you 60 millions" worth of media value. You do realize that he's not talking about being handed a bag of cash right?

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

When you take into consideration that Lewis' salary alone is around 20.x million, I guess it isn't too far fetched.

reallydumb
reallydumb

Good start for the team. Lewis 3rd and Ros 6th,not bad for a team that alot of people didn't think they have it work out. :)

siskue2005

reallydumb wrote:Good start for the team. Lewis 3rd and Ros 6th,not bad for a team that alot of people didn't think they have it work out. :)
last year also they were getting great results in Qualifying, remember Schumacher was P3 -P4 in majority of the races
but in race they used to slip back ....so lets wait and see the race and then draw conclusions :)