Force India VJM06 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Force India VJM06 Mercedes

Spain 2013 - Friday (10.05.2013)

Spain 2013 - Saturday (11.05.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stefan_
stefan_

Force India testing at Duxford last week - 15.05.2013

via Matt Somerfield
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

wesley123
wesley123

New wing profiles with a longer flap
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

You beat me to it Stefan ;)
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Pierce89

EDit: delete
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Mach1
Mach1

Hey,

Can you point out exactly where the new flap is...also what advantages will we gain from that compared to what we already have...

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

Mach1 wrote:Hey,

Can you point out exactly where the new flap is...also what advantages will we gain from that compared to what we already have...
I think that he is talking about the DRS flap. If you compare it with the one used in the previous races you can easily notice that the new one is "larger", or better the new one has a longer chord length.

Possible update for Montecarlo to have more downforce right?

beelsebob
beelsebob

BlackSwan wrote:
Mach1 wrote:Hey,

I think that he is talking about the DRS flap. If you compare it with the one used in the previous races you can easily notice that the new one is "larger", or better the new one has a longer chord length.

Possible update for Montecarlo to have more downforce right?
Certainly that was what the various technical commentators were saying when McLaren were using a long chord DRS flap early on. The peak downforce of the wing is higher, but the effect of DRS is lower. Sounds like a monaco specific thing.

Mach1
Mach1

Interesting. .. With the revised tyre regulations, this team is gonna slide backwards.
They have lost one to many opportunities with their pitstop errors with Adrian.

wesley123
wesley123

Teams switched to a short chord DRS system to get more DRS effect, that was in previous years when DRS could have been used everywhere in Qualifying, now that isnt the case anymore, so the advantages of the short chord DRS are only imited to one(or two) straight(s). With that said that makes a short chord less of a 'no brainer' like it was before.
Mach1 wrote:Interesting. .. With the revised tyre regulations, this team is gonna slide backwards.
I dont see how you come to such conclusion
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Huntresa
Huntresa

Mach1 wrote:Interesting. .. With the revised tyre regulations, this team is gonna slide backwards.
You obv havent been keeping up with the news... There wont be any large tyre changes, just changes that affect the treads releasing, which will be minimal changes, not the large ones first talkeda bout.

And even if they had gone back to last years tyres why would they have fallen back ? They had no real tyre issues last year.

Mach1
Mach1

I have been following the news, as much as everyone here I presume... if you go back to Scarbs FI launch video you will here the teams initial thoughts about how the new 2013 will play into their hands. I am not implying that last years tyres hindered FI in anyway, but FI didn't get the maximum out of them as much as they have been able to do this year with the 2013 tyres.

Pirelli will make the minor structural changes which in effect could hinder their performance aswell as Lotus and Ferrari. The teams who I presume will come out strong from the midfield would be Sauber & McLaren.
This is the one of the reasons why F1, Lotus and Ferrari are against the tyre changes because their cars are have adapted to these tyres.

But going by the latest news the FIA may put a spanner on things with a Safety regulation technicality in todays news.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Mach1 wrote:I have been following the news, as much as everyone here I presume... if you go back to Scarbs FI launch video you will here the teams initial thoughts about how the new 2013 will play into their hands. I am not implying that last years tyres hindered FI in anyway, but FI didn't get the maximum out of them as much as they have been able to do this year with the 2013 tyres.

Pirelli will make the minor structural changes which in effect could hinder their performance aswell as Lotus and Ferrari. The teams who I presume will come out strong from the midfield would be Sauber & McLaren.
This is the one of the reasons why F1, Lotus and Ferrari are against the tyre changes because their cars are have adapted to these tyres.

But going by the latest news the FIA may put a spanner on things with a Safety regulation technicality in todays news.
Dude its the fia news I mean... it was days ago... it will be minimal and not the 2012/2013 mix that was first said to come in canada

adityah353
adityah353

What happened to force indias fric system? Will they use that on monaco?

iotar__

adityah353 wrote:What happened to force indias fric system? Will they use that on monaco?
They tested it in Barcelona, "did not bring expected results", they won't, Monaco is not suitable for adding and testing new components (I think).

A. Permane (it's about set up but I think it applies to new components as well):
"I’d go as far as to say it’s impossible to test any setup changes in Monaco. It’s difficult enough at a normal circuit with stable conditions where you can test different things back-to-back and get a good understanding of performance, but here that simply isn’t feasible [...] "