Sauber C32 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
spadeflush

Re: Sauber C32 Ferrari

Huntresa wrote:Do we know if Sauber has a New fw to go along with the New car ? Saubers fw from last year is good but not made för this car.
They will probably have a new one in the 2nd or 3rd test. 4 days of testing will give them an immense amount of data regarding the new design, how the ultra slim sidepods are affecting the rear of the car. It would only make sense to put on a new front wing if the rear downforce numbers improve over last year.
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

SiLo

This car puts the Mercedes to shame when it comes to design, so many lovely little bits all over the car, they really put some effort into this one.
Felipe Baby!

Nando
Nando

Scarbs on the Sauber, haven´t seen it myself so will be interesting :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AEJpnV045w[/youtube]
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

About the raised nose, i think that might have something to do with the new layout of the sidepods.
The exausts position and kind of odd configuration of the protrusion where it lays led me to think that they are balancing the flow and trying to have it going thru the top of those short sidepods.
2 things, in my (limited) view, strength this. 1st, the already (in previous posts) mentioned fact that at high speeds there is a possibility of creation of high pressures due to excess of air volume. The 2nd, the fact that due to the really short chord of the top of the sidepods those aren't most probably too affected by lift and, therefore, they can lead it thru that path.

What do you think?

Huntresa
Huntresa

miguelalvesreis wrote:About the raised nose, i think that might have something to do with the new layout of the sidepods.
The exausts position and kind of odd configuration of the protrusion where it lays led me to think that they are balancing the flow and trying to have it going thru the top of those short sidepods.
2 things, in my (limited) view, strength this. 1st, the already (in previous posts) mentioned fact that at high speeds there is a possibility of creation of high pressures due to excess of air volume. The 2nd, the fact that due to the really short chord of the top of the sidepods those aren't most probably too affected by lift and, therefore, they can lead it thru that path.

What do you think?
You mean lowerd nose right ?

Edit: Btw do we have anyone with some sort of CFD in this thread/forum where we could see the flow on these sidepods?

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Huntresa wrote:
miguelalvesreis wrote:About the raised nose, i think that might have something to do with the new layout of the sidepods.

What do you think?
:D exactly. The rest of the text wouldn't make sense otherwise!!

Huntresa
Huntresa

miguelalvesreis wrote:
Huntresa wrote:

What do you think?
:D exactly. The rest of the text wouldn't make sense otherwise!!
What i think about the exhaust position is that the air flowing over the bulge will come purely from the downwash since the sidepod top surface doesnt come down on the bulge like in lets say the Ferrari where the exhaust bulge is the end of the sidepod. On the sauber the top surface of the sidepod slims in and moves towards the center line of the car instead and even has a small step from the top surface to the bulge.

In easier terms, the sauber bulge is more attached to the side of the sidepod then the end of it.

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Huntresa wrote:
What i think about the exhaust position is that the air flowing over the bulge will come purely from the downwash since the sidepod top surface doesnt come down on the bulge like in lets say the Ferrari where the exhaust bulge is the end of the sidepod. On the sauber the top surface of the sidepod slims in and moves towards the center line of the car instead and even has a small step from the top surface to the bulge.

In easier terms, the sauber bulge is more attached to the side of the sidepod then the end of it.

Yes, that was my first thought. But that wouldn't demand more volume of air? They need it to feed both the exausts bulge for the coanda effect and the rear floor to feed the diffuser!
I still think that somehow they're using some air passing thru the top of the nose and the sidepods

Huntresa
Huntresa

miguelalvesreis wrote:
Huntresa wrote:

Yes, that was my first thought. But that wouldn't demand more volume of air? They need it to feed both the exausts bulge for the coanda effect and the rear floor to feed the diffuser!
I still think that somehow they're using some air passing thru the top of the nose and the sidepods
But you gotta remeber they have MASS amount of air coming thru on the side of the sidepod and over the downwash wing. I think there is enough air on the floor and above it to accomadate both feeding the coke/diffuser and exhaust.

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

miguelalvesreis wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
But you gotta remeber they have MASS amount of air coming thru on the side of the sidepod and over the downwash wing. I think there is enough air on the floor and above it to accomadate both feeding the coke/diffuser and exhaust.
Well, they can only have there what passes under the nose and between wheels. Maybe they made the FW so efficcient in sending air thru in between the wheels that they do not need the under nose area. But in that case I would think that the tea tray would be simplier

Artur Craft

Huntresa wrote: But you gotta remeber they have MASS amount of air coming thru on the side of the sidepod and over the downwash wing. I think there is enough air on the floor and above it to accomadate both feeding the coke/diffuser and exhaust.
That's my view too.

I also liked what Scarbs said in the early parts of the video. We kind of share the view that Sauber slimmed their sidepods not only for the obvious gain in less drag, but to send more air over the diffuser.

I wouldn't be surprised if this solution, to some extent, doesn't guide exhaust plume to seal diffuser/tires as good as other cars do, but they kind of opted for a more consistent downforce overall(not relying on exhaust gases too much)

Gridlock

Artur Craft wrote:they kind of opted for a more consistent downforce overall(not relying on exhaust gases too much)
Every F1 engineer I've ever heard speak on the matter attributes very little df to the exhaust treatment. It's massively over-analysed on every car because it's interesting and immediately obvious to the eye (mostly, Adrian..).

So yes, they did, but so does everyone. The exhaust gas direction is just to tidy the edges of what really matters, the expansion ratio at the diffuser (IMO).

Artur Craft

Gridlock wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:they kind of opted for a more consistent downforce overall(not relying on exhaust gases too much)
Every F1 engineer I've ever heard speak on the matter attributes very little df to the exhaust treatment. It's massively over-analysed on every car because it's interesting and immediately obvious to the eye (mostly, Adrian..).

So yes, they did, but so does everyone. The exhaust gas direction is just to tidy the edges of what really matters, the expansion ratio at the diffuser (IMO).
yeah, I think you're right.

With such restriction on it, exhaust help much less in downforce. Lotus last year had a very competitive car and wasn't using it to seal the diffuser's sides like Mclaren, Sauber, RBR were.

Later on, it think the best sidepod/coke bottle configuration will get clear, or, at least, I hope so.

Btw, I think these are awesome angles

Nando
Nando

I´m gonna root for Sauber next year solely because of the sidepods :)

It´s the coolest thing since sliced bread.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

JackHammer

Nando wrote:I´m gonna root for Sauber next year solely because of the sidepods :)

It´s the coolest thing since sliced bread.
I can't wait until Australia, just to see how competitive this car is, really hope it's up there