Honda returns to F1 in 2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Anon123
Anon123

Re: More Honda Rumor Fuel

Leon wrote:McLaren with Ferrari engine!11 :D
I'd love to see the reaction of Ferrari fans. :D

spadeflush

McLaren leaves door open for move to Honda engines in 2015

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105949
Honda sources have confirmed to AUTOSPORT that it plans to return to Formula 1 as an engine supplier to McLaren.
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

dren

Now that major sites are running the "rumors" it is pretty much a done deal at this point. So Honda in 2015 instead of next year. Can't wait!
Honda!

turbof1

dren wrote:Now that major sites are running the "rumors" it is pretty much a done deal at this point. So Honda in 2015 instead of next year. Can't wait!
No, it is still a rumor. If the major sites would say "from a good source within", then it would be pretty much a done deal. Nowhere are bold statements to be found.
#AeroFrodo

WhiteBlue

If you can read between lines the Whitmarsh interview tells you all you need to know. He was unable to confirm Mercedes beyond 2014 which is confirmation enough for me. There may be is to be dotted and Ts to be crossed but it is clear what plan is being followed. Naturally all plans can fail but it is not very likely at this level. Two companies of that calibre don't go off on such an adventure without a pretty solid plan and commitment. McLaren/Honda in 2015 is as good as a bank if you ask me.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Nando
Nando

Same with Paddy.

Mclaren: "Paddy will stay for 2013"

= Paddy will move in 2014.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

dren

turbof1 wrote:
dren wrote:Now that major sites are running the "rumors" it is pretty much a done deal at this point. So Honda in 2015 instead of next year. Can't wait!
No, it is still a rumor. If the major sites would say "from a good source within", then it would be pretty much a done deal. Nowhere are bold statements to be found.
It's still a rumor, but you can read between the lines. It's how the typical F1 rumor mill works.
Honda!

Pup
Pup

The pit lane reporters certainly think the ink is dry. Benson says that they're just waiting for the right time to make an official announcement. Japanese GP maybe?

I wonder how exactly Merc will deal with them next year.

FoxHound

Pup wrote:The pit lane reporters certainly think the ink is dry. Benson says that they're just waiting for the right time to make an official announcement. Japanese GP maybe?

I wonder how exactly Merc will deal with them next year.
B-spec turbo perhaps?
The symbiosis of these 2 companies has now well and truly dissipated. The sooner they rid each of the other the better for both.
I think it would be stupid on Mercedes behalf to invest hundreds of millions of pounds into an engine that will be open to the prying Honda engineers eyes.
In addition, with all the telemetry McLaren have at their disposal, Honda will be able to pick the bones out of how the engine ticks.

The best option for Mercedes would be to fund Cosworth powered turbos for McLaren in 2014, with Benz badges to circumvent the contracts. McLaren would need to make do, and look forward to some staunch backing from Honda in 2015.
JET set

Lurk

FoxHound wrote:The best option for Mercedes would be to fund Cosworth powered turbos for McLaren in 2014, with Benz badges to circumvent the contracts.
Funding 2 engine development? The data McLaren could get for Honda would cost much less to Merc and their customers than that. (less money for their engine, and/pr higher engine price)
Plus an engine contract is certainly more than "hey give me an engine with your name written on it in exchange of my money".

Anon123
Anon123

If Mercedes have the strongest power unit and Mclaren are given a b spec power unit in 2014 as suggested above then Nico and Lewis will be laughing. I'd be really interested to see what Honda could do, I have my doubts about them creating a highly competitive engine but when I think efficient reliable engines I think Honda.

FoxHound

Lurk wrote:Funding 2 engine development?
Nope, I didn't say that.
Cosworth will have to develop their own engine. But Mercedes could use the Cosworth lump as a "customer" engine, paying the customer price(affordable even to back marker teams).
The money they pay for the engine will pale into insignificance once the hundred million dollar plus Mercedes V6 is IP protected by not having to share its secrets with a competitor.

And before we go down the avenue of contracts, Mercedes dropped McLaren like a hot potato in 2009. The only thing stopping complete severance was Mclaren's inability to purchase the 40% stake outright. In the end, Both go their own ways now it seems.

But I cannot see Mercedes giving McLaren top line engines for 2014. IF they do, they may as well parade their engine blueprints up and down the pitlane.
JET set

Richard
Richard

I can see the argument about Merc wanting to avoid letting potential competitors having their new toy. So perhaps they'll be looking for a way out.

However that only works if McLaren have a viable exit strategy to switch supplier. Otherwise no matter how much Merc squeal, McLaren have a legally binding option to turn up at Brixworth and ask for some engines in 2014 and 2015.

The suggestion that Merc will palm off a rebadged Cosworth or similar is nonsense. Unless the contract was drawn up by some school kid I think we'll find Merc have an obligation to supply the real deal.

dren

I -think- Merc can buy their way out of the contract.
Honda!

FoxHound

richard_leeds wrote:The suggestion that Merc will palm off a rebadged Cosworth or similar is nonsense. Unless the contract was drawn up by some school kid I think we'll find Merc have an obligation to supply the real deal.
We will see.
JET set