2014 Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
turbof1

Re: 2014 Design

A possible solution would be using inboard endplate design and using vertical strakes on the wing itself to divert air from the front wing away from the wheels.

The issue though I am having with inboard endplates is that the air still comes very close to the wheels; you don't want to be sending dirty air towards the floor and diffuser. If possible, and it's a big IF, they could perhaps run a vortex running off from the endplate twisting right around the tyre inboard, shielding the air from the tyre wake. The only one I see capable of such a massive undertaking is Red Bull.
#AeroFrodo

Holm86

turbof1 wrote:A possible solution would be using inboard endplate design and using vertical strakes on the wing itself to divert air from the front wing away from the wheels.

The issue though I am having with inboard endplates is that the air still comes very close to the wheels; you don't want to be sending dirty air towards the floor and diffuser. If possible, and it's a big IF, they could perhaps run a vortex running off from the endplate twisting right around the tyre inboard, shielding the air from the tyre wake. The only one I see capable of such a massive undertaking is Red Bull.
This is more what I had in mind, rather than the Renault type endplates. I'm also thinking about inboard endplates or strakes.
scarbs wrote:I think FW wake will still be sent outboard of the front tyres, teams will want the beneficial effect on the tyres wake, even if this means a less effective FW for creating DF. Opinion that I’ve canvassed is that the FW is still more than powerful enough to balance the car, so this isn’t such a huge compromise. Of course twisting the endplate enough to get the vortices over to the upper and lower edges of the front tyre will be tricky.
The reason I would send more air inwards of the front tires would be to get more air into the diffuser. I think the front wings will be more than capable of producing DF. And with all the DF lost at the back there will be room to shed some at the front to get a more DF from the diffuser.

Blackout

Blackout

Speaking about 'downwash' sidepods and thin coke bottles, IMO there is a car that allied those two 'charachteristics'; The F2012 (the early versions)... But maybe it had too high sidepods (due to the vertically placed radiators IMO) and never delivered, for many reasons...

Maybe a car that sacrifies some floor space for lower sidepods and a less steep angle towards the diffuser (thanks to some compromises regarding the radiators angle + Mp4-26esque air intakes), could succeed ?
Easy to say but hard to do... especially with 2014 cooling requirments...

AnthonyG

I've read the regulations but I can't really make it up wheter or not if it would be allowed.
Do you have to mount the wheels as external as possible? Or are you allowed to make the trackwidth smaller at the front?

That would give the car a somewhat delta-shape, allowing the smaller front wing to push the air arround the tyres and make the rear more effective.
And perhaps be easier in the tyres.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

wuzak
wuzak

AnthonyG wrote:I've read the regulations but I can't really make it up wheter or not if it would be allowed.
Do you have to mount the wheels as external as possible? Or are you allowed to make the trackwidth smaller at the front?

That would give the car a somewhat delta-shape, allowing the smaller front wing to push the air arround the tyres and make the rear more effective.
AFAIK there is only a restriction on maximum width.

Having said that, I would think that narrowing the fron track would cause airflow problems for the underbody.

scarbs
scarbs

I'm sure you can reduce the front track width if you want to.
If we recall back to 08-09 with the static front wheel fairings, teams had to narrow the track to get the bodywork within 1800mm. When these first appeared several Tech Directors I spoke to were adamant the increase in lateral weight transfer from a narrow axle would be unaccepable. However by mid 09 they had followed suit.
Come to think of it the wheel fairings netted a similar effect to a better placed FWEP. also they may be cost up to 100mm in track width, so nearly as much as as the 14 reg change!

So I suppose any mechanical advantage can be paid off by aero.

shelly
shelly

AnthonyG wrote:I've read the regulations but I can't really make it up wheter or not if it would be allowed.

It is out of the box but maybe feasible. One constraint I see is that if the weight distribution is fixed, you can't move it a bit rearwards to compensate for the narrower front (delta wing style?) but maybe the needed shift is within the allowance of the rules for weight
twitter: @armchair_aero

Giando

Hello, here is my simple and humble sketch of the turbo singleseater for 2014.

In addition to the cone with the elephant-nose (which will be surely used by more than on team imho), the highlights are:

- since the radiators surfaces should increase of about 40% compared to 2013, i expect that there may be not only many un-conventional radiator schemes into the sidepods but also a separation of the air inlets ... here, one is very thin and almost horizontal (for intercoolers), the second one is larger and benefits from the air compression generated by the lower-surface of the upper intake bodywork (kind of a wing shape) [see detailed drawing below];

- the two vents in the area on the back of the driver's head side protections (for cooling ecu units or batteries);

- monkey seat: iI thought that it could be hung under the main profile of the rear wing, given that the side plates connected to the diffuser could be used as support of the wing itself; and possibly interact with the hot gases out from the exhaust...

- gills all-around the final section of side pods (slightly larger than in 2013), with a full-width concept based on Renault's in Alonso's WC years.

Feel free to comment.

Last edited by Giando on 10 Dec 2013, 12:05, edited 3 times in total.

theWPTformula

Giando - +1. Loving this! I really like the air intakes behind the driver head rest/protection. Everything is well integrated and it's nice to look at, too. Ample cooling will be essential and you've made it look elegant in the process.

One thing I would go against is hanging the monkey seat from the rear wing main plane in my opinion, purely because the underside of the wing is so important. By mounting the monkey seat to the rear crash structure you allow the central section of the wing to work more effectively and perhaps the two could interact with eachother similarly to the past few seasons.

theWPTformula

I've added a plan view alongside the side view that I posted earlier in this thread. Cooling has not been fully taken into account so apologies for that.

turbof1

The sketch from Giando looks amazing. Also the way the pylons are integrated will mask the finger nose atleast a bit. Is that a realistic set up for next year?

Anyway, well done Giando. Amazingly detailed.
#AeroFrodo

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

TheWPTformula has used pylons from the finger rather than the main nose like in Scarbs' drawing. Much like the 08 McLaren.

I've heard one team has done it like that.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

markn93

Giando wrote:Hello, here is my simple and humble sketch of the turbo singleseater for 2014.

In addition to the cone with the elephant-nose (which will be surely used by more than on team imho), the highlights are:

- since the radiators surfaces should increase of about 40% compared to 2013, i expect that there may be not only many un-conventional radiator schemes into the sidepods but also a separation of the air inlets ... here, one is very thin and almost horizontal (for intercoolers), the second one is larger and benefits from the air compression generated by the lower-surface of the upper intake bodywork (kind of a wing shape) [see detailed drawing below];

- the two vents in the area on the back of the rider's head side protections (for cooling ecu units or batteries);

- monkey seat: iI thought that it could be hung under the main profile of the rear wing, given that the side plates connected to the diffuser could be used as support of the wing itself; and possibly interact with the hot gases out from the exhaust...

- gills all-around the final section of side pods (slightly larger than in 2013), with a full-width concept based on Renault's in Alonso's WC years.

Feel free to comment.

http://www.divshare.com/img/24873811-1e4.jpg

http://www.divshare.com/img/24860960-1ba.jpg
That looks magnificent! Take note teams, let's have something that looks like that.

Giando

Thanks everyone for the appreciation.

@TheWPTFormula, point taken about the hanging monkey seat... maybe you're right or maybe the gain you will obtain from the layout i have designed will overcome the loss of efficiency of the main profile... it should be very interesting to see which solutions the teams will come up with in that zone... i still believe that the heat coming out from the exhaust and also around the pipe itself could be quite difficult to manage... so, let's wait and see! :)

Also, about the nose... i think additional turning vanes in that zone and the lenght and shape of the pylons will be more decisive than last year.

In fact, i suspect that despite everyone is saying that 2014 rules should decrease the importance of aerodynamics... it could be easily the contrary: i mean, the more limitations you introduce, the more the efficiency of aero details should give you gains... if you know what i mean (same for the front wing side plates).