Silly Season 2013/14

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Maelstrom
Maelstrom

Re: Who will replace Webber at Redbull?

One thing to consider is that Kimi is in the contention for WDC this year. There is a chance he might win it. If he does would he still move to Red Bull?

After all, while Red Bull still has excellent cars, they aren't dominating the field anymore. Actually the past two out of three races they've not even been the two fastest cars - that would have to be Ferrari & Lotus.

So why would Kimi move?

CHT
CHT

Maelstrom wrote:One thing to consider is that Kimi is in the contention for WDC this year. There is a chance he might win it. If he does would he still move to Red Bull?

After all, while Red Bull still has excellent cars, they aren't dominating the field anymore. Actually the past two out of three races they've not even been the two fastest cars - that would have to be Ferrari & Lotus.

So why would Kimi move?
technical regulation for 2014 will be very different from this year, so whatever performance advantage any team have for this year will unlikely be carry over.

From resource point of view RBR has got a clear advantage over Lotus, and it will definitely be more challenging for Kimi to have another WDC as team mate.

Cam

We only have to look back at the 'Hamilton' rumours last year to see how RedBull feel. The answer is in here, in Horner's words:
'We also took a decision to invest in youth and we've two really exciting youngsters entering GP racing in Jean-Eric Vergne and Daniel Ricciardo.

'Both are really talented drivers and deserve that opportunity. It will be fascinating to see how they evolve over the year. "So we're more likely to look inwardly than outwardly.'

'You have to look at the balance within the team as well,' added Horner.

'It is important to have the right balance within any team, not just with the drivers, but throughout the organisation. Whether or not it could work, who knows?

'But our preference would probably be to go with drivers in whom we have invested from a young age, give them the opportunity and see how they evolve rather than take something external.'
Also, RedBull already have a WDC, they need youth, new blood, the next WDC, the next marketing gimmick. IMO.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

FoxHound

CHT wrote:Its funny to read some of the anti vettel redbull comments here

1) Status quo - Vettel won WDC because RBs are the quickest car on the grid, and Webber is marginalized by Vettel No. 1 status. Vettel cannot succeed with another team etc.

2) Pairing Vettel with another WDC at RBR - Thats not possible and it wont work because Vettel doesnt like it.

Pretty obvious to some, whatever happens, Vettel and RBR will always be 2nd grade or 2nd class champions.
It is not "anti" anything, it's painfully obvious.

1)Vettel did win 3 titles on the trot because he had the best car on the grid, and because he made great use of it. You cannot take away his title's because of it, and there is no shame in admitting he had the best equipment. All the greats have had access to some fine machinery at some point, although one could argue not as regularly as Vettel(thus far).
CHT wrote:Vettel cannot succeed with another team
Not sure who said this, but that's just a silly sentiment. Vettel can succeed at other teams, perhaps not all.

2)We have seen how Vettel reacts when he is challenged within the team. He directly disobeys orders.
And he goes further to say he will do it again. That's all fine and dandy, but how will your number 2 driver feel after all the support he has given over 3 years of Vettel rampaging the trophy cabinet?
Vettel is king at Red Bull because Mateschitz deems it so. We can look through the history of Vettel's tenure at RB and see this is the case,

Now if we compare this to Webber, you would see the actions and words simply do not match up to what Vettel receives. And pro-Vettel enthusiasts could argue that is because Vettel outperformed him and deserves the status of number 1 within the team, something I can just about stomach.
However, put Kimi in that team, or Hamilton/Alonso..... Vettel would not have the luxury of knowing he can beat a fairly average driver.
But this is Red Bull country, things are done at the behest of Mateshitz and his golden boy. So I can guarantee you, not one of those top line drivers will be sitting in a Red Bull in the next 3/4 years(Vettels contract), It will be Ricciardo, Buemi, Vergne or maybe Da costa. And a challenge from any of those drivers will not be commensurate to the 3 previously listed.

*fixed quotes
JET set

xDama
xDama

http://www.yallaf1.com/2013/04/17/lotus ... aF1.com%29

It it's true, then I suppose RB is definitely in talks about Raikkonen. And why wouldn't they... All in all, although RIC & JEV impressed the bejezus out of me on their Young Driver tests back in the days, they don't impress in the Toro Rosso. Neither in pure speed, nor in pure racecraft. If I'd have to choose one, I'd say RIC, but if there would be other options like RAI... Then they don't stand a chance tbh.

The sad thing about it is, you don't have a clue about how bad that TR is. If they would want to give the young drivers an absolutely fair and equal benchmark, then they should both get a test-session vs. Vettel or Webber, in the same RB.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

I still think Red Bull would only think about Raikonnen if they can't win the WCC this year. (Which might be quite likely)

SiLo

I can't see Red Bull going for RAI, maybe they would like him, but is RAI really going to leave Lotus? He looks like he is loving it there at the moment.
Felipe Baby!

turbof1

He might love it more at RBR; the team has no authority over its drivers, ideal for him.
#AeroFrodo

sidepot

I do think that if Ricciardo or JEV show decent promise this season, they'll be replacing Webber. You heard it here first. Ok, not really...

I doubt RB would want Kimi for two reasons:

1) Sparks would fly, it's only a matter of time. Even Button and Hamilton, who were once touted as a friendly pair or WDCs in the same team, eventually fell out

2) It would look bad on the RB junior programme if the stream runs dry after Vettel

Just my thoughts...

Gridlock

turbof1 wrote:He might love it more at RBR; the team has no authority over its drivers, ideal for him.
Not to mention free mixers

turbof1

And let's not forget Red Bull Wodka's. Dear lord, what is there not to sign for Kimi?
#AeroFrodo

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

I can totally see Vettel stealing Kimi's Ice Cream and then Kimi losing his cool and B!**hslapping him. :mrgreen:

CHT
CHT

I believe Kimi is not going to hang around in F1 for too long so if a generous offer to drive along side Vettel comes along, I think he will go for it. Ultimately for Kimi, he is only interested in winning and if you can win and make a few extra few millions, then why not?

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

Why do you think he won't stick around for too long? His age?

govind112

Robert Kubica lol
Doing It Again 2014