Ferrari F138 Model - Alonso Fan

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
kosioBG

Re: Ferrari F138 Model - Alonso Fan

no, your explanation is fine. and your model from 2010 isn't that bad, just the surface quality is not perfect. i also have a model of the f10, but it's a disaster too, way too inaccurate, i was also 13 then btw :D and this photo is from the f138 forum topic on THIS site, you can check it out, there are marveleous pictures there (genearal -> f1 cars -> f138)

Alonso Fan

thanks

show us your f10, surely, it can't be worse than mine!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

kosioBG

no, i don't want to, it's bad from an engineering point of view. i'm working on an imaginary car now, i may post some pics of it instead. i'm also an alonso fan and have made all of his cars since 2009. but the f138 is the first which has at least something to do with the truth. following the tips from this forum and paul (i don't know if you know him), we'll improve 8)

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:no, i don't want to, it's bad from an engineering point of view. i'm working on an imaginary car now, i may post some pics of it instead. i'm also an alonso fan and have made all of his cars since 2009. but the f138 is the first which has at least something to do with the truth. following the tips from this forum and paul (i don't know if you know him), we'll improve 8)
yep, i know paul alright. Not personally, but i've seen his rb7, and wow it's amazing! i've heard he's had his work published in magazines and the redbull guys have also seen his model. i'm gonna try to make the wheels and front wing detachable, although its going to be pretty hard.

you're right, we will improve dramatically if we consult him for advice :D
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

yes, i've written a couple of e-mails to him in german, his answers were always helpful. and great that you're making detachable parts, i've never done that :!: =D>

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:yes, i've written a couple of e-mails to him in german, his answers were always helpful. and great that you're making detachable parts, i've never done that :!: =D>
neither have i, so i hope it goes well

thanks for that link to the f138 forum, there's some good pics of the car without the front wing attached, so i can make the front end of the monocoque properly. i'll ask paul how he made the wheels so round, and how he attaches them to the suspension. it should be interesting to see how it turns out. :D
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

i already know how he attaches them to the suspension: he makes them fit tightly onto the hubs, and pushes them in place.

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:i already know how he attaches them to the suspension: he makes them fit tightly onto the hubs, and pushes them in place.
oh, ok. do you know how he attaches the front wing on to the monocoque?

for now, i'm still making the engine cover with the same ribcage design
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

yes, he makes the nosecone and attaches 4 metal rods at each corner, and a hole at the same place on the monocoque whre they fit in

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:yes, he makes the nosecone and attaches 4 metal rods at each corner, and a hole at the same place on the monocoque whre they fit in
cool, thanks!

i've just finished doing the main bit of the engine cover in ribs and there's just a bit left to do at the back. then i can get on with the monocoque and covering the ribcage. even shaping the ribcage is hard! it's difficult trying to get the headrests on the cockpit to merge into the bodywork of the car. we'll only see how good of a job i've done when they're covered.

what do you think i should cover the ribs with?

i'm thinking paper, or card, but it'll be very hard to shape, so i was also thinking masking tape? do you think that would work?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

this is hard, because it's not the way i'm shaping the sidepods, so i have no experience to help you here. but, you might try with paper sheets and lots of glue, then once dry, apply putty and sand it to get a smooth surface :arrow: the same can be done with card, but it will end up too bulky, so i don't recommend it. :?

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:this is hard, because it's not the way i'm shaping the sidepods, so i have no experience to help you here. but, you might try with paper sheets and lots of glue, then once dry, apply putty and sand it to get a smooth surface :arrow: the same can be done with card, but it will end up too bulky, so i don't recommend it. :?
i don't have putty, but won't paper be too weak? i tried it before i put the exhausts in, and it was pretty weak. it stuck with the glue that i had, that was no problem, but it was weak. it made the back of the car look cool though, until i put the exhausts in.

i'll cross the bridge when i come to it.

btw, how did you shape the sidepods and rear bodywork?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

well, i found this method and have been using it for the last 2 years- after i finish the floor and the centre section, i cover the car with protectice kitche foil. then, i use modelling clay to get the desired shape. ontop, i put aluminium foil, then pieces of tissue paper/ newspaper and PVA glue. once dry, i remove the kitchen foil and clay and glue the finnished bodywork piece to the car. with this method, you can get pretty complicated shapes. to see it, go to the topic of my F138

RicME85

Papier-mâché would work.
Lay some paper or very thin car (like printing paper) over the ribcage then apply papier-mâché to get the desired shape. This will then set nice and strong and can be given a nice smooth finish.

I build my 3D cars by using a ribcage technique for certain areas of the car.

Alonso Fan

RicME85 wrote:Papier-mâché would work.
Lay some paper or very thin car (like printing paper) over the ribcage then apply papier-mâché to get the desired shape. This will then set nice and strong and can be given a nice smooth finish.

I build my 3D cars by using a ribcage technique for certain areas of the car.
the only thing with this is that papier-mâché ends up very bumpy, and i can't seem to get the hang of smoothing it out.
feel free to post pics of your ribcage aswell
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord