2013 Monaco Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nipo
nipo

Re: 2013 Monaco Grand Prix

Kimi already punched him in the face, err, no, into the wall, I mean :D

For me Kimi just had enough with his moves and wanted to show Checo that it's not only him who can make bold moves.

Got to love Kimi for not being like Alonso - "Hmm I'm a championship contender and hence I should be saving maximum points, let's just let him past. He'll end up breaking something anyway".

Instead he went "I'm not going to just give it to you, motherfxxxer." =D> =D>

As to penalty? As stated above I think the "alongside" argument is moot so one cannot say Kimi "had to" leave a space. However I do think the gap existed, and Checo went for it. So for me both drivers did what they were entitled to do and it was a racing incident.

Oh another thing. There was in fact a little bit of wheel-locking and smoke from Checo - but then that was when he realized Kimi wasn't yielding and he might be braking extra-hard and locked-up, so I don't see clear evidence Checo was "outbreaking himself" or "wouldn't have made the corner anyway".

beelsebob
beelsebob

andartop wrote:If you no longer go for a gap that exists you are no longer a race driver.
So, what are you if you let everyone overtake you because you are afraid to close the door in case you damage your car and lose some precious championship points? Does not sound like Senna either, does it?
No, but then closing the door is quite different from driving into someone.

The rules have never, and never will allow for running someone out of track, or colliding with someone as a legitimate method of defence of a position.

Sweeping across the track to stop the other car ever getting along side – fine.
Cutting back across to the racing line after you do that (but leaving enough room on your outside) – fine.
Hanging about on the apex of the corner – fine (as long as you're not doing it suddenly and actually break checking)
Cutting back under someone who outbrakes themself – fine.

All of these are legitimate methods of defending your position. Sweeping across the track and hitting someone who is already along side you is not.

beelsebob
beelsebob

cooken wrote:
beelsebob wrote: To clarify the other relevant regulation here:
20.4 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason.
For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a ‘significant portion’.
Sorry to pull this back but there seems to have been something brushed over. All this talk of "alongside" etc, however as I have highlighted in bold this regulation does not seem to apply once they have entered a braking area, and actually the first bit about being on a straight supports this as well. So from my understanding, whether he was alongside or not is moot as it was already well into the braking zone. Regardless though, there still needs to be ample respect and space left for safe and clean racing. I won't go any further than that to condone or condemn either driver as it is clearly an exercise in futility, I just think that is a quite important and interesting part of the regulation that needs to be considered.
Right – in fact, Kimi should never have started to sweep across the track in the braking area ;). I was giving him the benefit of the doubt at suggesting that he started that manoeuvre before the braking area.

fausto cedros

To me the following ( source thejudge13.com) says it all...

The Iceman forgot to manage his precious ‘cool’ image for a moment, because when speaking to German TV channel RTL he suggested of Perez, “Maybe it’s better to hit him in the face and maybe he’ll understand.”
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

Racer X

Kimi was not racing you dont slam some one into a wall. Plain and simple its like what happened to Maldonado only its KIMI so nobody points the finger at Kimi its easier to Blame Sergio.

Running into a car is not racing going for a gap is racing. But closing a drivers space isnt. Yes Sergio was taking a huge risk but he had the line and at that point kimi drove into his car.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

stefan_
stefan_

To me the Perez overtaking situation is very simple and the ones who analyse it to the very last millimeter clearly don't have anything better to do than to prove they are right.
1) The move on Button was good, that was a good Monaco move in which he speculated Jenson's lack of attention (Jenson himself said that he was not really paying attention and it was a good move on him)
2) The Alonso and Kimi (especially the 2nd one) were moves from the "get the f**k away if you don't want to crash because I don't care" category - he probably made them because he saw that it worked with Button and then that Alonso had to give him the position. And Perez sometimes has a slight tendency to lose his mind and think he is the best in the world when he manages to get right 2-3 overtaking maneuvers (this coming from someone who raced with him in some junior competitions).
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

andartop
andartop

Perez was nowhere near alongside Kimi when Kimi started closing the door. You went a long way to prove this with the frame by frame analysis. Look at the onboard again. So, as much as Kimi could have braked more to allow Perez pass and then complain to the stewards if he didn't make the chicane, Perez could just as well have braked more to avoid contact and then complain to the stewards that he was squeezed. Oh, wait. He wouldn't have been squeezed then, would he?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Neno
Neno

I dont know why we are arguing, Perez is blame and that is it. What most suprise me is Withmarsh encouraging Perez to drive like that, but i understand in one hand why. Mclaren neeeds desperetaly every point this year for 2014 budget, so i am not suprised why he will let Perez drive like that, if he get's way with he will get point or two more, if not at least one of championship contenders (for now he caused at least some kind of incident with 3 of them) who have more to lose then him will be DNF or they let him pass him. Alonso was smart and let him, Kimi was not (and he had every right to not let him) but he losed more points then Alonso :wink:

Racer X

I agree Why bother arguing.

I think Kimi fans you cant argue with them So I give up. I mean Kimi can do nothing wrong in Your Eyes. Not even when he opens up a door then closes it. Just watch the replays.

And I add that Sergio was outthere racing he took a risk and it didnt pay off. Not all drivers will allways step aside. He payed for it. But you guys just dont give any credit to Sergio you put the full blame and you are not at all open to diacussion. Sergio too a calculated risk it didnt pay off because Kimi closed the door on him under circumstances that according to the rule book is not permited. You are supposed to give space when a drivers wings is at next to youte tires Sergio had his tires next to Kimis... It was a calculated risk that did not pay off for Sergio. But you must see that Kimi was also at fault. Thats my point.

I leave you guys with this look at.
[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pdCWDSpwv9U[/youtube]

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g80-CFe7_Ko[/youtube]
Last edited by Racer X on 28 May 2013, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

Neno
Neno

I dont need watch replays, from position from who Perez come from he couldnt make into that corner anyways, that is 90° corner he would simply cut chicane, on other hand Raikkonen drived on real racing line to get trough that corner so he didnt do nothing really, he was in front of perez with 5/6 of car and drived like he drived same corner lap before, and before that. you can go watch rosberg pole and you will see from where he enter into that corner. so why arguing with someone who finally waited for raikkonen to make some incident...i think you are only jelous on raikkonen drives and results, just like some are on alonso's, hamilton's or vettel's. for me perez needed to get penalty, because he was encourage after alonso-perez event and saw he can make profit just like he did with alonso penalty, make same agressive stupid move but well raikkonen didnt give single ???? that day for him.

Racer X

Neno wrote:I dont need watch replays, from position from who Perez come from he couldnt make into that corner anyways, that is 90° corner he would simply cut chicane, on other hand Raikkonen drived on real racing line to get trough that corner so he didnt do nothing really, he was in front of perez with 5/6 of car and drived like he drived same corner lap before, and before that. you can go watch rosberg pole and you will see from where he enter into that corner. so why arguing with someone who finally waited for raikkonen to make some incident...i think you are only jelous on raikkonen drives and results, just like some are on alonso's, hamilton's or vettel's. for me perez needed to get penalty, because he was encourage after alonso-perez event and saw he can make profit just like he did with alonso penalty, make same agressive stupid move but well raikkonen didnt give single ???? that day for him.
Both at fault thats my point. Under FIA rules Kimi cut in illegally. Maybe if Kimi feels so strongly about punching Perez in the face he should have Lotus file a formal complaint. So we see an investigation. I would love that.

Between Sergio and Kimi last year when Sergio had a Sauber and Kimi well still a Lotus. Sergio had many overtakes on Kimi jelous of Kimi. Nope Im just pointing out Kimi messed up. Nobody is jelous of Alonso tho. Hes a good driver who at times has done some shady things and raced for Shady teams but I admit hes got speed. The pitting incident with McLaren was not cool. Renualt cheating was also not cool but I dont put that on him. Hamilton im a huge fan off.

Kimi Vs Perez last year tho one on one often resulted In a Sergil overtake of the C-31 on the Lotus. So no thank you. My point is Kimi drove into Sergio. Done deal and Sergios gamble Didnt pay off.

turbof1

Racing incident, guys. Just let it go.
#AeroFrodo

stefan_
stefan_

turbof1 wrote:Racing incident, guys. Just let it go.
Wait until they start to analyse Perez's move on Kimi frame by frame. That will be fun.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

banibhusan

stefan_ wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Racing incident, guys. Just let it go.
Wait until they start to analyse Perez's move on Kimi frame by frame. That will be fun.
Perhaps an indication that we should stay out of this topic!! :wink:

jamsbong
jamsbong

Luckily someone uploaded this.

http://youtu.be/CzzG3RyrDTo

Eventhough he was on fresh tires, it was still marvelous to watch those super-clean overtakes.