Best driver performance over a season of all time?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mnmracer
mnmracer

Re: Best driver performance over a season of all time?

When you can make your car look more dominant then it is, you are putting together one hell of a performance. For that, Schumacher 2004 and Vettel 2011.

While the 1993 McLaren was not as bad as some make it out to be, Ayrton Senna most definitely had an inspiring season. 30 years before, Jim Clark's 1963 championship season was one for the history books as well

Alberto Ascari's 1952 campaign was truly one for the history books, winning every race he started, but the Indy 500.

Almost but not quite
In 2012, Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton all three had very impressive performances, each having their own guardian angels to protect them and their own demons to fight, but they also each made their mistakes and I feel their over-all performance would not fit into the first category.

In 1998 and 2000, Mika and Michael put together fantastic campaigns, but I feel they did not quite fit in the above slot.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

This opinion is regardless of JimClarkFan's title:

Jim Clark 1967.

It was the first year with the Cosworth in the last year before aero developments were introduced. As a result, the car seemed to have more power than it could really handle. Despite the power and the handling problems (which can be related to in modern terms by the recent drives of the Lotus 49 by Brundle, Rossi, and Needell), Jim Clark retired in 5 (South Africa, Monaco, France, Germany, and Canada) out of the 11 races (the first two being before the introduction of the Lotus 49), but in the remaining 6 he had 4 wins (Netherlands, GB, USA, and Mexico), 1 sixth place (spark plug), and 1 third place (Italy) where he had that amazing drive to gain back a lap, only to run out of fuel.

While he only ended up 3rd in the WDC, he had an amazing pace throughout the season but was always let down by the car at some point (suspension, engine, etc.). In each race he had blistering speed and grace.

Just my $0.02

bhall
bhall

mnmracer wrote:When you can make your car look more dominant then it is, you are putting together one hell of a performance. For that, Schumacher 2004 and Vettel 2011.

[...]
Really? Along with the F2002, the F2004 and the RB7 were the most dominant cars raced in F1 since 1993 and arguably two of the most dominant cars in the sport's history.

In 2004, a season in which 180 points were up for grabs, Schumacher took 148, or 82% of all that was possible. His teammate scored 114, or 63% of the maximum. (To put Barrichello's tally in context, he scored a higher percentage of available points that year in the F2004 than Schumacher did when he won the 2003 World Championship with 58% of the maximum available, 93 out of 160.) Combined, they collected 262 of 324 points - 80% of max - which was more than double the points scored by the second place team. Along the way, the F2004 bagged 13 poles, 15 wins, 29 spots on the podium, and 14 fastest laps. That car was insane.

It was much the same story in 2011 for the RB7. In a season with 475 possible points, Vettel claimed 392, or 82%. His teammate collected 258, which was 54% of the max, a higher percentage than the 53% (256 out of 475) Vettel scored when he won the previous year's title. Red Bull scored 650 of 817 points (79%), and they took 18 poles, 12 wins, 27 podium places, and 10 fastest laps with the RB7. That car was also insane.

Those seasons were cakewalks for Schumacher and Vettel thanks to the brilliance of, respectively, Rory Byrne and Adrian Newey.

sennafan24
sennafan24

bhallg2k wrote: Those seasons were cakewalks for Schumacher and Vettel thanks to the brilliance of, respectively, Rory Byrne and Adrian Newey.
We have a winner.

If you want to prove the greatness of Schumi, you have to look elsewhere than 2004. 1993-2002, I think was his prime years.

Clew

Michael Schumacher in 2004....an untouchable year
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

sennafan24
sennafan24

Clew wrote:Michael Schumacher in 2004....an untouchable year

wesley123
wesley123

I'm a little creeped out now :lol:
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ted68

Keke Rosberg 1982. Driving his Williams FW08 with a normally aspirated Cosworth DFV against the much more powerful turbos that year, he took the championship with only only a single win. The rest of the season he drove his ass off against the much more powerful competition. A great season.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

SectorOne

mnmracer wrote:When you can make your car look more dominant then it is, you are putting together one hell of a performance. For that, Schumacher 2004 and Vettel 2011.
Two of the most dominant cars of all time is claimed they were even more dominant because the drivers really showcased their skill in having comfortably the fastest car by quite a margin.

I´d probably not choose either of those years when highlighting the true skills of the two drivers.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Don't know how many have seen Peter Windsor's blog, but the link has so far been a fascinating read:

http://peterwindsor.com/category/jim-cl ... 63-season/

The more I read about Clark the more I wish I could have seen him race.

mnmracer
mnmracer

Thanks all for making my point regarding the F2004 and RB7 :)

Pierce89

sennafan24 wrote:
Clew wrote:Michael Schumacher in 2004....an untouchable year
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2ks5 ... o1_500.gif
Wow!, I never noticed Mike had such a child molester look to him.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Clew

wesley123 wrote:I'm a little creeped out now :lol:
Me too :wtf:
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

delacf

1988 Senna

1996 Schumacher

1997 Shumacher

2000 Schumacher

2005 Kimi Raikkonen

2006 Alonso

2012 Alonso

I could not order them. Perhaps, 1997 Schumacher is the best
Last edited by delacf on 15 Jul 2013, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

Vasconia

Michal Schumacher 97, 98 and 2000. Simply a genious in his peak. And in general the 95-2000 years of the german were the best.

2003 Raikkonen, he was very young but he showed an amazing regularity.

2005 Raikkonen, he was fast as hell, but that car...

2011 Button, his best year.

2012 Alonso, perfect season ruined by a not so good car.

2013 until now, Vettel, the most complete season, showing a greater maturity as a driver.