F1 tipped to return to Austria in 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SectorOne

Re: F1 tipped to return to Austria in 2014

I wonder if now with the new easing up on testing at least for 2014, and this being Red Bull´s own private track you can´t help but think it would be equally weird to run a race at Fiorano with the knowledge Ferrari has about that piece of tarmac.

Could Red Bull have an edge by having a grand prix on what i assume will be their testing ground in the future?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

It will be very hard to get the permission to test at the Red Bull Ring from the local government as there are some restrictions. The circuit has a limited noise budget and the louder the cars that run on the track the more this budget will decrease. So with DTM, F1 and various other small racing events it will be very hard to fulfill this limitation with f1 testing added.

Or maybe the Ring was successful in negotiating an increase in the noise allowed?
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

tim|away
tim|away

SectorOne wrote:I wonder if now with the new easing up on testing at least for 2014, and this being Red Bull´s own private track you can´t help but think it would be equally weird to run a race at Fiorano with the knowledge Ferrari has about that piece of tarmac.

Could Red Bull have an edge by having a grand prix on what i assume will be their testing ground in the future?
The name "Red Bull Ring" might lead to the assumption you are making, but the track is nowhere close to Red Bulls production facilities in Milton Keynes. Silverstone would be a much more likely option for Red Bull as a circuit for testing.

SectorOne

tim|away wrote:The name "Red Bull Ring" might lead to the assumption you are making, but the track is nowhere close to Red Bulls production facilities in Milton Keynes. Silverstone would be a much more likely option for Red Bull as a circuit for testing.
Not just the name. Red Bull owns the track. It´s their own personal racetrack.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

WhiteBlue

Yes, Red Bull owns the old Austria ring but you have to know the history behind that ownership. Didi Mateschitz personally rescued the ring twice from dereliction and oblivion by pumping money into it. First he spearheaded a consortium from VW and Magna to make the ring an automotive development centre. When that was shot down by neighbourhood protests he completely rebuild the ring to F1 standards from the companies money which he has a 49% shares in. This included all the current track safety measures, garages, press building and medical facilities. For the 2014 GP he will also have to shell out massively to pay for additional temporary or permanent grandstands to accomodate the masses of people who will want to attend. Not to speak of the sanctioning fee that is not likely to be recuperated by the ticket sales. I think we owe Dietrich Mateschitz some thanks for bringing back this magnificent track. At least that is how I feel about it.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Mika1
Mika1

WhiteBlue wrote:Yes, Red Bull owns the old Austria ring but you have to know the history behind that ownership. Didi Mateschitz personally rescued the ring twice from dereliction and oblivion by pumping money into it. First he spearheaded a consortium from VW and Magna to make the ring an automotive development centre. When that was shot down by neighbourhood protests he completely rebuild the ring to F1 standards from the companies money which he has a 49% shares in. This included all the current track safety measures, garages, press building and medical facilities. For the 2014 GP he will also have to shell out massively to pay for additional temporary or permanent grandstands to accomodate the masses of people who will want to attend. Not to speak of the sanctioning fee that is not likely to be recuperated by the ticket sales. I think we owe Dietrich Mateschitz some thanks for bringing back this magnificent track. At least that is how I feel about it.
Agreed, in my opinion it's very important we can add another European race to the calendar and if that's ''Red Bull´s own private track'', so be it. As you said, without Red Bull (Mateschitz), this deal wasn't possible.
The boss follows me on twitter.

motorloon1993
motorloon1993

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PhmXaRkGGs[/youtube]

Love that second to last corner.

astracrazy
astracrazy

so can we expect good racing around here, some good overtaking?

WhiteBlue

We will drive 20 races, no more,” Ecclestone told Austrian newspaper Kleine Zeitung.

The supremo also confirmed the contract with the Red Bull Ring will extend for ‘seven years’, taking the race up to the 2020 season.

With a rumoured start date of July 6, it appears likely that the Austrian Grand Prix will take the place of the planned street race in New Jersey, which was initially slated for the same time period. Red Bull Ring officials had previously made it known that the circuit was available to stage top level competition following the failure of the New Jersey course to be ready in time for the 2013 season.

In terms of tracks already on the calendar, the Korea International Circuit has struggled for funds since it opened in 2010, and may be a prime candidate to be replaced by the incoming Russian Grand Prix at Sochi.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

iotar__

Being the owner of the team and owner of the race is a clear pathology. Add to that position on FOM board that makes deals with track owners and teams and circle is complete. This way you are half-man half-dog - you can be your best friend.

WhiteBlue

Asked what really changed his mind about negotiating with Red Bull's Dietrich Mateschitz, Ecclestone insisted: "Nothing special.

"We just began to talk some more, and everything became more and more concrete.

"Look, Red Bull is very good for the sport; so professional, such high quality. I think they will organise a very good grand prix," Ecclestone added.
It is Berniespeak for: He gave me the money others were not prepared to pay.

xpensive
xpensive

If only the old Österrichring could be restored, majestic.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

xpensive wrote:If only the old Österrichring could be restored, majestic.
There are 4 or 5 options on expanding the tracks length, but to be honest im happy at a 4.326 km (2.688 mi) track being included as with Circuit Gilles, Intrelagos, Hungaroring, Nurburgring, Hockenhiem and almost Albert Park (Just over 5Km) will be the short tracks of the calendar as the F1 calendar is infested with 50 to 60 lap races around tracks that traffic isn't too much of a problem. I think short tracks test traffic management and make the championships all the much richer.

I am hearing that there will be a Austrian GP at the Red Bull Ring for the next 7 years as the track is under going works in the lead up in order to get 85,000 in the track for 2014 and 100,000 for 2015 onward with the track getting more of a support network for it as DTM and with F1 returning more GT series will follow as well would be my guess.

I wholeheartedly love the return of the A1 ring, its a Tilkedrome yes, but its a proper challenge not a sequence of corners designed with a couple of easy passing places, its a track that is a challenge to overtake, its a track that will either make you or maim your title chances.

I also think its right that the number 1 team for the past 4 years should have a GP event in their home country.

Its also a firework up the ass of Monza, Hungaroring and about 8 other tracks in F1 that FOM will go else where unless the pit facilities come up to the standard of Silverstone, Suzuka and the rest of the new F1 tracks. Its also a confirmation to me that New Jersey is on the ropes, and could be the nod that Mexico will have a Mexican GP for 2015 or 2016 season at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez when its renovated. Another short track may i add.

I think there will be a good 22 date calendar in 3 or 4 years time, each race will have a back to back with another with exception to India, with testing at 3 tracks for 3 days after a GP weekend when there is a two week break and the pre season being limited to three 4 day tests in logistically easy tracks. Sense will prevail in the next 3 years i think.

WhiteBlue

A post that at least in parts makes sense to me. I'm not understanding where you got the conclusions for all of it but it sounds ok.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

My conclusions come from actually listening to the teams, promotors and drivers, as wherever the FIA & FOM decide there should be a GP, there will be a GP.

We need three 3-week breaks for sure, however i also think that to keep the sport in the limelight each GP should have a buddy GP, so AUS-MAL is close enough to work and logistically is good as the airports are close enough to the tracks there, CHI is a hell hole to get into as 2 weeks, and if they will see you well en route to Bahrain or more likely another gulf track like ABD they will make that the buddy track, but my guess is Qatar will be on the cards if a South African tract cant be found. If there is to be a Bahrain opener, it will have a 2 week break as the last Pre Season test will be there a week before, so that makes sense to me there.

Its all about zig-zagging the world chasing the sun in a logical and sensible manner. However the final 3 weeks will be a killer with a triple header from USA-MEX-BRA for me, as if there is a driver on form, he may get 3 wins and take the title.

Korea will be gone i think as its a hell hone to get to and to get out of, 6.5 hours drive from Soul and tough to get things past the customs officials. Yes its a emerging market, but without the access of say Malaysia who have an airport just next door to the track it dosnt make sense to me. Even when F1 goes to Socchi, the team equipment will be next to waved through, however the media and team personnel will still have the intrusive borders checks at the airport and by the police as well who will stop you and check your accreditation.

However, F1 needs to go to tracks that will be full, so for ABD, if thats 55,000 ill take it at that, if its 180,000 at Silverstone great, F1 needs to go to tracks that will be full of spectators for all sessions, and is make it that if the tracks are not full enough the race is in the line for replacing.

Its been years since the calendar make sense to me. The only area that needs sorted is the Canada-American GP double header and making in not clash with Le Mans somehow. Thats the most difficult problem to solve in my opinion.