Favorite Current Driver and Why?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
sennafan24
sennafan24

Re: Favorite Current Driver and Why?

I see Vettel more like Mika.

Both had a knack for being cool under pressure to net WDC's. Plus both were thorns in Ferrari's side.
richard_leeds wrote:I'm realising why Ferarri are keen on a 3 car team. It'll give us the ultimate showdown between Vettel, Alsonso, Kimi... hang on a second what about Hamilton?

aha - They could all switch to RB / TR and let Newey design both cars.

That might be a fanboy's wet dream but it'd be rubbish for the overall formula.
Agreed, but for different reasons probably

As much as I like a good teammate duel, there is a certain charm to having 3/4 drivers representing 3 different teams battling for titles. Like say a driver from Ferrari , a driver from Mclaren and a driver from Red Bull all battling it out. An example of this would be 2008 when you had Lewis, Massa and Kubica all fighting it out, all from different teams.

I like to see a variety of teams and drivers thrive.
Last edited by sennafan24 on 20 Aug 2013, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

If I had to pick one it would be Alonso, Abu Dhabi 2010 really was his day, but I find myself rooting for the underdog whoever that is. I really couldn't handle Lewis's attitude/immaturity until now I was extremely happy he got his win this year.

Richard
Richard

sennafan24 wrote:I like to see a variety of teams and drivers thrive.
That was my point, we need that for healthy competition.

krisfx
krisfx

SectorOne wrote:
marcush. wrote:I don´t see any of the current drivers remotely as heros ..yes Vettel has a talent impersonating other drivers (Kimi and even better Mansell..) but that does not really cut it for me .
I don´t see them as heroes but i definitely can draw some loose parallels.

Kimi - Hunt
Hamilton - Senna
Vettel - some say Mansell but i would say Clark. Very clean, very fast and will simply maximize the job given the car.

Alonso is a hybrid of so many drivers imo. I think in the future his fighting spirit will be compared with some young driver.
I´m in absolute awe of his fighting spirit, opening laps is a joy to watch when Alonso is on fire.
At Monza last year, started 10th or something then i hear the commentators saying he´s up to third and you are like "what the hell just happened here, how did he...."

When Alonso smells blood you know you are in for a treat.
His move at Barcelona this season when he went around the outside of a few cars in the opening lap at turn three was pretty good to watch, I used to really dislike Alonso but now I respect him the most. Vettel is certainly like Mansell in 92 when his car practically drove itself :lol: Jokes aside, I still find it hard to rate Vettel and I think Lewis is brilliant when he's not embarrassing the sport and himself off track.

stefan_
stefan_

SectorOne wrote:
marcush. wrote:I don´t see any of the current drivers remotely as heros ..yes Vettel has a talent impersonating other drivers (Kimi and even better Mansell..) but that does not really cut it for me .
I don´t see them as heroes but i definitely can draw some loose parallels.

Kimi - Hunt
Hamilton - Senna
Vettel - some say Mansell but i would say Clark. Very clean, very fast and will simply maximize the job given the car.
I will take that as a joke. A bad one, but a joke.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

sennafan24
sennafan24

stefan_ wrote: I will take that as a joke. A bad one, but a joke.
I get the similarities.

Both are known for their supreme one lap pace, both very openly expressive and charismatic. Senna had a more profound effect though, he was seen as a demigod in Brazil where he helped with poverty, whereas Lewis is just seen as celebrity/sportsmen in England.

Senna was a better driver than Lewis is now, and Lewis will probably never reach the heights that Senna did in his 1990-1993 peak. I would say despite both having critics, that Senna is a lot more respected by fans and critics alike as well.

Kimi and Hunt is probably the most accurate of the comparisons stated.

raymondu999

Kimi maybe today's Hunt off-track, but they're very dissimilar in driving.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Harsha
Harsha

I don't like to compare the Current Top 4(Vettel,Kimi,Alonso,Lewis) to any else. They are one of a Kind. Simple to say these guys are not Trend Followers but Trend Setters. The Old Legends are incomparable to Current Super Drivers due to lot of things most of you guys know.

SectorOne

stefan_ wrote:I will take that as a joke. A bad one, but a joke.
Take it as you like, at least someone could see the parallels in their all out one lap pace on and over the limit.
Both are extremely emotionally driven as well.
Both run yellow helmets
(even though Hamilton´s yellow does not originate from Senna but was later modified to celebrate him and the person he was)

Of course you can be anal and say well one´s from Brazil and one is from Britain or make billions of things separating them but overall they definitely share similar traits.

Just like Kimi and Hunt, another pairing where one has huge admiration for the previous.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

sennafan24
sennafan24

raymondu999 wrote:Kimi maybe today's Hunt off-track, but they're very dissimilar in driving.
Fair enough.

They both have such strong maverick personalities, I did not really think of their on-track exploits.

raymondu999

sennafan24 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Kimi maybe today's Hunt off-track, but they're very dissimilar in driving.
Fair enough.

They both have such strong maverick personalities, I did not really think of their on-track exploits.
I was thinking more along the lines of driving styles. Kimi is quite a smooth driver, James was more of a swashbuckling aggressor
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

F1NAC

Alonso, - love his passion for driving his car from start to finish

sennafan24
sennafan24

raymondu999 wrote:
sennafan24 wrote:
Fair enough.

I was thinking more along the lines of driving styles. Kimi is quite a smooth driver, James was more of a swashbuckling aggressor
Totally agree from what I have seen. I really need to see more of Hunt, there is only so much you can tell from reading books and opinions.

GitanesBlondes

sennafan24 wrote:
Fair enough.

James Hunt was anything but dry however, which is largely missed when it comes to the Hunt/Kimi comparisons.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

marcush.
marcush.

I´d think Kimi is a more the Gilles Villeneuve outside the car than he is even remotely comparable to James .
Mind you ,James was so sick and exited before races he usually threw up in the pit garage....that did not stop him to test one of the groupies surrounding him just before sitting in the car or leaving the car...I think Kimi is a nice boy compared to James ..
not to forget ,james was never afraid or unwilling to speak to the media ....