How Would You Change Formula 1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
scuderiafan

Re: How Would You Change Formula 1?

Put metal strips in the legality plank to throw up sparks.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

zeph
zeph

I would invoke further resource restrictions. Reduce the number of tires per car per weekend, but do away with the ludicrous mandatory tire changes in the race.

Further reduce the numbers of engines per driver per season (why shouldn't an engine last for four races?), gearboxes ditto.

I think relaxation of the rules (i.e. not regulating every 1/10th mm of every part) in combination with resource restrictions would result in a very healthy competition.

Budget caps are very difficult to implement. But it is pretty straightforward to limit and monitor the amount of stuff a team is allowed to take to the track for a race weekend.

Your wing breaks? You have one backup. Break it again? Tough.

I would not know what or how much an F1 team carries to the track, but you get the idea.

krisfx
krisfx

GitanesBlondes wrote:Genuine question - why does everyone have an obsession with making F1 greener?
"Road Relevance" and environmentalists. F1 is always in the public eye and has to keep up I think is the answer to that.

Bomber_Pilot

I want to keep seeing the sort of things in the videos below, but since drivers get reprimands for it, we prob won't be seing much of it again.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBIZF3sDFTI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NY3rcGRzWs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiG7vNlmp5c[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cykz8Pg0Ds[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1eDSoZ-Yb4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYwptTETj9Q[/youtube]

charlex

there should be more controls. at every race! immediately punish the irregular cars

strad

Genuine question - why does everyone have an obsession with making F1 greener?
Not everyone. I would say only fools but gee I wouldn't want to upset anyone.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

I don't think it's so much of an obsession than an inevitability.

notsofast
notsofast

How would I change F1?

I want F1 to be a sport where constructors are pushed to the limit, to the point where there is a reasonable chance of mechanical failure, resulting in a DNF. (After all, if your technology is reliable, it can't be all that new. Constructors should keep inventing new technology.)

I want F1 to be a sport where drivers are pushed to the limit, to the point where there is a reasonable chance of making a mistake, resulting in leaving the track and being passed, or getting stuck in a gravel trap. (After all, if you can drive your car around the track 60 laps in a row, race after race, you aren't being pushed all that hard.)

In other words, I want F1 to be "at the limit" for constructors and drivers. (At the same time, I don't want anyone getting hurt. Hence my preference for gravel traps. Good punishment with relatively little risk.)

How to accomplish this? I wouldn't mind banning all devices that serve no purpose other than aerodynamics. Make it really hard to stay on track in all those turns.

beelsebob
beelsebob

I would adjust the rules re overtaking:

20.4: No driver shall make a manoeuvre that would cause another driver, who is significantly alongside, to leave the track. For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is along side the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'.
20.5 should be deleted.

Note – this bans all manoeuvres that involve squeezing a driver out wide on a corner exit. It's still valid to push them far enough that they have to dip a wheel or two onto the white line, or into the dirt, but it is not valid to push them actually off the track.

This would make the rules very clear re the incidents involving Hamilton and Hulkenberg at Singapore, that it was the inside driver's responsibility to make sure that there was enough room for the other driver, and that they can't simply run them out of road and hope they don't collide.

Similarly, it makes it very clear that it would be Hamilton's responsibility at Singapore 2 years ago, to make sure that Webber had room at the apex.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Id change the start procedures, and ditch more of the electronics in the start. Ditch lots of the anti stall and make it a single clutch start. Also, no KERS for the first sector and all settings from the start must be in place till the first stop. All engine engine settings till the first stop must be in full race mode. Id also like to see the cars with a specified fuel start weight.

Some of these are happening next year i know.

flynfrog

beelsebob wrote:I would adjust the rules re overtaking:

20.4: No driver shall make a manoeuvre that would cause another driver, who is significantly alongside, to leave the track. For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is along side the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'.
20.5 should be deleted.

Note – this bans all manoeuvres that involve squeezing a driver out wide on a corner exit. It's still valid to push them far enough that they have to dip a wheel or two onto the white line, or into the dirt, but it is not valid to push them actually off the track.

This would make the rules very clear re the incidents involving Hamilton and Hulkenberg at Singapore, that it was the inside driver's responsibility to make sure that there was enough room for the other driver, and that they can't simply run them out of road and hope they don't collide.

Similarly, it makes it very clear that it would be Hamilton's responsibility at Singapore 2 years ago, to make sure that Webber had room at the apex.
so how are you supposed to see a Kamikaze wing move from behind? Think how many times cars lose the front wing in moves that were never going to work. So now its the lead cars job to move over because some one put a wing they cant see next to a rear tire?

GitanesBlondes

flynfrog wrote:

20.5 should be deleted.

so how are you supposed to see a Kamikaze wing move from behind? Think how many times cars lose the front wing in moves that were never going to work. So now its the lead cars job to move over because some one put a wing they cant see next to a rear tire?
This is partly in my opinion why overtaking has become a rather dull affair in F1 now. Between DRS, and the ever-increasing limits on defensive maneuvers, the genuinely skilled overtakes have become far fewer as there's little reason to defend any longer.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

beelsebob
beelsebob

flynfrog wrote:

20.5 should be deleted.

The rule is working as intended in this instance. If it truly is kamikaze, and never going to come off, then they'll overshoot, and you cut back under them, getting better traction to take the position back. If they manage to make it stick even when you try that, then clearly it wasn't kamikaze.

nipo
nipo

needmoretorque - It would be great if you can share your review of the first 10 years of F1, and more importantly which aspects of that period has inspired you to open this thread. I'm very interested. :D

It's hard to say what in F1 needs to be changed. To make F1 "better" is ambiguous. Is it better if the sheer number of overtakes is higher? Is it better if the technology is more advanced and daring? Is it better if we have more top speed? Is it better if it's safer? Different objectives will define the sport in very different ways and drive very different "improvement points".

I'm going to throw something here that maybe many of you find irrelevant. F1 - NEEDS - HEROS. A hero is somebody driving for an underdog team who can outclass bigger rivals in certain conditions. A hero is a dominating driver with a vibrant and likeable personality. A hero is someone who's locked in close battles in races and in the championship with another hero.

The sport needs to be loved. I'm sorry but Sebastian Vettel is not the love factor, and will never be one even if he goes on to win 10 consecutive titles. That is what I suspect the major factor why long-time F1 fans are finding it so hard to connect with the sport in recent years. We have Vettel who's uninteresting in all fronts, Alonso who's a spoilt child, Hamilton who's never had a real shot at the front except his first 2 years... The only person closest to a "hero" at the moment is Kimi Raikonnen, who made a successful comeback, fighting with the largest teams with a lesser budget.

And the gods have decided he should go camp with Alonso (kill me please). #-o

I don't have a real proposal for how the sport could be changed to bring back the love factor for fans. Maybe we'd have a better chance playing with the money side of the sport - at least, as some pointed out, find a way to get rid of the pay drivers in the lesser teams so we have a better chance of getting some "future heros" on the grid?

Seriously, with Kimi's move I'm quitting following F1 next season, engine change and all.

strad

I think the point was, How the hell are you supposed to see them. Or are you supposed to have ESP.
Mandate huge mirrors perhaps? The aero guys would love that. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss