Vettel vs Ricciardo 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
iotar__

Re: Vettel vs Ricciardo 2014

sennaf1god.94 wrote:We have to recognize why RedBull are the current World Champions...

With that crappy underpowerd and unreliable Rinoo power unit they managed to get two spots of the podium and one of them in the top of it thankx to a pair of great drivers, all of that in one of the fastest race tracks of the calendar.

Ricciardo is driving like a pro at each and all times during this season, he sure benefited from good luck , but his first win is a well deserved one, and in my opinnion is RedBull´s most deserved one.

They are the best team out there not by chance, is not just a good car (look at Williams), or a pair of great drivers (look at Ferrari...) is a great team of individuals on the pitwall that turns a good team into a GREAT TEAM. Just remember preseason testing and how this team has grown since then...
Kudos to them =D>
I disagree overall and particularly after this race. So what are drivers excuses for not having a single decent attempt on a struggling with a car Perez for 50 laps :wink: or something? Or Hulkenberg on another one stopper. Even this successful one was awkward as hell and any driver with tyres/breaks working would have easily countered. Or as I subjectively would say the only car that allowed to get away with it was Red Bull. They really needed Perez to almost stop driving. Same for Vettel on Ricciardo taking weird line every lap and cooling the car, not a single attempt. Plus of course qualifying and Vettel's strategy that left him stuck behind NH benefited DR. There's nothing to shout about about this race.

Random lucky DNF from both Mercs and suddenly everything Red Bull except for engine is brilliant? No. Williams killed their own race, Perez (unlike RB drivers) not car made a difference and Ferrari was no where. BTW this Red Bull can't be that bad, after every chicane/corner they were easily pulling away from Massa with much fresher tyres and better engine/top line speed.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

So Vettel follows the Force India for 50 laps and he 'gifts' Ricciardo a win?? How about Ricciardo followed the Force India for a few laps and actually made a risky, bold but brilliant move that eventually won him the race? Vettel could not overtake again today, only until the last laps. By then Dan was busy winning the race. I think Seb will be feeling the pressure even more now, it's starting to get a bit embarrassing.

Juzh

Vettel Maggot wrote:So Vettel follows the Force India for 50 laps and he 'gifts' Ricciardo a win?? How about Ricciardo followed the Force India for a few laps and actually made a risky, bold but brilliant move that eventually won him the race? Vettel could not overtake again today, only until the last laps. By then Dan was busy winning the race. I think Seb will be feeling the pressure even more now, it's starting to get a bit embarrassing.
None of what you've just written is true.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Not is you see the world through Vettel glasses.

Mandrake
Mandrake

The difference between Ricciado and Vettel's situation behind Perez is Massa. Massa was all over Vettel's rear on the straight so Vettel always had to compromise his chicane entry. Ricciardo profited from a Perez mistake and could use it out of the chicane, because Vettel behind him had to fend off Massa.

Ricciardo landed in front of Vettel after the stops due to another questionable strategy decision, something which happened less last year. I have no doubt that Vettel would have done the same to Perez as Ricciardo did had roles been reversed.

SpecialCircumstances
SpecialCircumstances

Vettel Maggot wrote:Not is you see the world through Vettel glasses.
Says the guy who is so biased he wears his bias on his handle.

Mandrake, careful, some may be confused by your having payed attention to the race and using facts to make an argument.

Cam

Mandrake wrote:Ricciardo profited from a Perez mistake and could use it out of the chicane, because Vettel behind him had to fend off Massa.
Autosport wrote:"The really decisive moment for him was his move around the outside of Perez," said Horner. "That is what won the race today. You could see even with DRS open and everything we had, against the Mercedes-powered car with its DRS closed we could not make the pass. Dan was opportunistic."
All Perez had to do was drive without error - he failed. All Ricciardo had to do was capitalise on any errors - WIN! Here is the glaring example where the car makes no difference - this is all about the driver.
Mandrake wrote:Ricciardo landed in front of Vettel after the stops due to another questionable strategy decision, something which happened less last year. I have no doubt that Vettel would have done the same to Perez as Ricciardo did had roles been reversed.
Amazing. Even when shown actual hard numerical evidence, people can still see only what they want to see.
Autosport wrote:The bare numbers tell the story. At the start of lap 36, Ricciardo was 1.212s behind Vettel. Both cars spent much the same amount of time in the pitlane (Ricciardo gained only 66 thousandths here), yet car #3 was just ahead of car #1 once back on track.

The Ricciardo in-lap Horner refers to was a mighty 0.896s faster than Vettel's. This was textbook stuff from Ricciardo, who was patient when in a queue of cars during the second stint, then nailed it to stunning effect when he really needed to. It was Michael Schumacher-esque.
But yeah - Ricciardo out-performed Vettel in the race - sublimely.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

djos

He sure did, I found Rocky's comments to Vettel during the race that (paraphrased) he needed to be patient as Dan would burn up his tires hounding Perez, clearly Dan was able to look after his tires and hound Perez at the same time - looks like RBR may have a new Pirelli tire conservation master in the team?
"In downforce we trust"

Cam

djos wrote:He sure did, I found Rocky's comments to Vettel during the race that (paraphrased) he needed to be patient as Dan would burn up his tires hounding Perez, clearly Dan was able to look after his tires and hound Perez at the same time - looks like RBR may have a new Pirelli tire conservation master in the team?
I'm surprised Rocky would say that, seeing as Dan already has a pretty good track record with the tyres. Something Vettel has experienced first hand a couple of times now. So that then begs another question - if Ricciardo's tyre were being chewed up behind Perez, yet he still found speed in them to leap Vettel, just how good would those tyres have been if he was in clear air? Ricciardo could indeed be the new "Pirelli Whisperer".
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

djos

Cam wrote: I'm surprised Rocky would say that, seeing as Dan already has a pretty good track record with the tyres. Something Vettel has experienced first hand a couple of times now. So that then begs another question - if Ricciardo's tyre were being chewed up behind Perez, yet he still found speed in them to leap Vettel, just how good would those tyres have been if he was in clear air? Ricciardo could indeed be the new "Pirelli Whisperer".
I cant recall what lap it was, but we get the UK feed and commentary here in Aus and it was part of that broadcast.

I was impressed by just how quick Dan was once he got past Perez, he just bolted despite the straight line speed deficit to the FI!
"In downforce we trust"

Juzh

Not sure what this leapfrogging glory is all about. You come out of the pits -> cold tires -> slower. You stay out an extra lap with still good tires -> faster. This is not 2013-2012-2011 style anymore where you can just undercut 15 cars in 1 lap if you so wish (at this track anyway). Red bull should have known that and should in fact leave both cars on the track for at least couple more laps. Seems to me RB have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot whenever the goings get tough on track.
Anyway I think ric made the most of what he got offered, just as vettel did. It simply worked out better for ric. In the end, on performance I don't believe there's sufficient data coming from this race to point to anyone being faster than the other.

Cam

Juzh wrote:Not sure what this leapfrogging glory is all about. You come out of the pits -> cold tires -> slower.
Then why do we see the 'undercut'? Gaining track position of new cold tires is pretty standard. I can probably find a lot of 2014 examples of drivers pitting earlier, to come out on cold tires and end up ahead of the car they were following before pitting. But that's not what Ricciardo did. He waited, then pushed the (*&^ out of that car when others pitted - with a net result of increased track position. He basically did the opposite of an undercut and still gained.

Looks glorious to me. What have I missed?
― Socrates

Mandrake
Mandrake

Cam wrote:
Juzh wrote:Not sure what this leapfrogging glory is all about. You come out of the pits -> cold tires -> slower.
Then why do we see the 'undercut'? Gaining track position of new cold tires is pretty standard. I can probably find a lot of 2014 examples of drivers pitting earlier, to come out on cold tires and end up ahead of the car they were following before pitting. But that's not what Ricciardo did. He waited, then pushed the (*&^ out of that car when others pitted - with a net result of increased track position. He basically did the opposite of an undercut and still gained.

Looks glorious to me. What have I missed?
You missed Canada, where tires do not heat up enough on lap 1. It's not happening on the other tracks we've been so far.

mnmracer
mnmracer

djos wrote:
Cam wrote: I'm surprised Rocky would say that, seeing as Dan already has a pretty good track record with the tyres. Something Vettel has experienced first hand a couple of times now. So that then begs another question - if Ricciardo's tyre were being chewed up behind Perez, yet he still found speed in them to leap Vettel, just how good would those tyres have been if he was in clear air? Ricciardo could indeed be the new "Pirelli Whisperer".
I cant recall what lap it was, but we get the UK feed and commentary here in Aus and it was part of that broadcast.

I was impressed by just how quick Dan was once he got past Perez, he just bolted despite the straight line speed deficit to the FI!
It seemed clear that once stuck behind a Force India, the RB pace dropped so much the slower lap times itself conserved tires.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Nicely summed up Cam.

Mandrake why did Vettel not pass Ricciardo after he exited the pits if the tyres are so horribly cold and terrible to drive on? Your lad got smashed again, move on.