Stackhouse F1 replica project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Stackhouse
Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 replica project

Ok so having trailed the net to no such luck I thought I would sign up and pick some brains.

Does anybody have any idea where I would start in building my own steering wheel, I want it to do everything a real F1 steering wheel does.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Simon

Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: Steering Wheels

What do you want it for?

A real F1 steering wheel costs something like 25 000 euros. Even if you cut out the labor costs, you need at minimum carbon fiber prepregs, a freezer, an autoclave, vacuum bagging consumables, a vacuum pump, a tool, and a mill to machine the tool. A real F1 wheel would also be made using a CNC ply cutter and thousands of dollars of CAD/CAM software. You also need some other stuff for the grip and other miscellaneous things. That is, if you want to do it the way they do it.

On top of that, you need to drop a good bit of cash for the quick release wired for electronics, as well as motorsport or military grade wiring, connectors, electronics and buttons/switches, none of which comes cheap.

Are you trying to make a wheel to slap on the end of a logitech wheel for use in a simulator? Then you don't need 99% of that stuff. But if you're trying to make something for an actual racecar...

Stackhouse
Stackhouse

I am hoping to build one for a working f1 replica car, I can make the wheel it's just all the electronics I'm trying to find the information on so I can programme and get it all working.

Stackhouse
Stackhouse

Tubular chassis design

So I found a tubular chassis design *i know I didn't design it* but there are no sizes with it or any way of getting them, so my question is where do I start with transferring this design into my own and getting the measurements to start building as I don't have access to any cad software at the moment.

Thanks

Simon

SectorOne

Try http://www.leobodnar.com/ for electronic boards etc.

He´s involved in a lot of simracing where people do exactly what you ask, except they use it for virtual racing so i´m sure he will be able to give you some valuable tips on how to set things up.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: Tubular chassis design

Stackhouse wrote:So I found a tubular chassis design ...

So, if I understand correctly, what you're saying is that you found a design that you it is impossible to get dimensions for, and you want to get dimensions so you can build it.

...Design your own? Read "Racing and Sports Car Chassis Design" by Costin and Phipps, and do the rest with a pen/pencil, paper and a good table. Men were sent to the moon without Solidworks, not having access to CAD software is never an excuse.

But that aside, I don't understand your situation; what do you mean you "found a tubular chassis design"? Do you have a drawing? a cad model? A magazine clipping? What do you mean by "transferring this design into my own"? what do you need to start building? What are you trying to accomplish?

strad

Re: Tubular chassis design

Stackhouse wrote:So I found a tubular chassis design ...
same answer as to the guy who wanted to build his own Kart.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Stackhouse
Stackhouse

Re: Stackhouse F1 replica project

Lycoming, it's basically a cad design but what I mean by transfer it into my own is that, I don't want to copy someone else's hard work, I would like to use the basic principle to help get me started but actually redesign the chassis, I guess what I'm trying to say is, as a novice where can I get certain information about sizes and dimensions of a f1 chassis and then later on body work.

The reason I ask is because I've been looking around the site for a while and looking at people's CAD drawings people say about certain sizes are illegal, where can I find this information out.

tim|away
tim|away

Re: Stackhouse F1 replica project

Stackhouse wrote:Lycoming, it's basically a cad design but what I mean by transfer it into my own is that, I don't want to copy someone else's hard work, I would like to use the basic principle to help get me started but actually redesign the chassis, I guess what I'm trying to say is, as a novice where can I get certain information about sizes and dimensions of a f1 chassis and then later on body work.

The reason I ask is because I've been looking around the site for a while and looking at people's CAD drawings people say about certain sizes are illegal, where can I find this information out.
2013 F1 Technical Regulations - Published on 04.07.2013