A shameless image thread for the enginephiles

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
dren

Re: A shameless thread for the enginephiles

I also think the compactness of the ICE makes the transmission look that much larger. The electric motor, rated to at least 35kW (that's what is in the new RLX) is buried in there. Each front motor will be at least 27kWs each. It is also at least 7 gears.

The axial turbines were hinted at by someone else on another site a while back. They posted the same Honeywell info that has floated around on here, the dual boost turbos.
Honda!

hollus

Spark-Renault SRT_01E. Looks different :-k
Rivals, not enemies.

xpensive
xpensive

The legendary Offenhauser I4, derived from a 1912 Peugeot engine, amazing stuff this.

This Drake-Offenhauser 2.65 turbo yielded 1100 hp at 120 inches of Mercury, 3.0 Bar boost and no intercooler, back in 1972;

Bobby Unser took the 1972 Indianapolis pole with Dan Gurney's Eagle with a 195 mph lap, 18 mph faster than the 1971 pole;

In October the same year, Jerry Grant drove the first 200 mph lap at Pocono with a similar Eagle;

The 1972 car was restored to its former glory in 2010 and can be seen in the Riverside museum;

The full story; http://www.tsrfcars.com/toys-full_size_eagle.htm
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

wuzak
wuzak

xpensive wrote:The legendary Offenhauser I4, derived from a 1912 Peugeot engine, amazing stuff this.
Really?

I thought the Offy was developed from the Miller I4, after Miller went bust and Offenhauser and Drake bought the business.

Miller's engines may have been inspired by the Peugeot, but I don't think they were derived from them.

In the same way, Bugatti's twin cam straight 8's were inspired by Miler's.

xpensive
xpensive

And they were all inspired by one Nikolaus August Otto, one could even say derived if stretching it a bit.

The Offenhauser engine, familiarly known as the "Offy", was developed by Fred Offenhauser and his employer Harry Arminius Miller, after maintaining and repairing a 1913 Peugeot Grand Prix car of the type which had won the Indianapolis 500. Impressed by the double overhead cam, four-valve-per-cylinder design, which was a great leap forward at the time, they designed an engine on similar principles.

Isn't history amazing at times Wuz, inspires a lot of arguments, if you really put your mind to it?

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

the Offy was perfectly suited to the first F1, but was never so used
the Offy people had manufacturing involvement and even design involvement with the Indy Ford V8
(which was in design proportions a destroked Offy, and so was overvalved and overported)
I suspect that Ford intended in part a race sportscar application at 5 litres, and a road spin-off eg 351
(the existing pushrod 4.2 litre/260 Indy winner was brother to the above dimensionally for good reason)
the pre WW1 Peugeot was overported (they were chasing laminar flow) and so had a 5 speed gearbox
the Indy Ford was destroked by McLaren for 1967 F1, was hideously overported/valved and quickly had its ports reduced

small world !!

wuzak
wuzak

Tommy Cookers wrote:the Indy Ford was destroked by McLaren for 1967 F1, was hideously overported/valved and quickly had its ports reduced
McLaren used a BRM V-12 in 1967. In 1968 McLaren used a Ford V-8 - but it was the Cosworth designed engine.
Tommy Cookers wrote:the Offy was perfectly suited to the first F1, but was never so used
The first rules allowed non supercharged engines of 4.5l or supercharged engines of 1.5l. The Alfa 158s and 159s dominated that era of racing with their 1.5l supercharged in-line 8. Not sure if the Offy would have competed well against them, or the V-12 Ferraris.

Tommy Cookers wrote:the Offy people had manufacturing involvement and even design involvement with the Indy Ford V8 (which was in design proportions a destroked Offy, and so was overvalved and overported)
The 1964 Indy engine was based (loosely) on a production Ford V8.

Former Offy engineers may have worked on it, but to say that it was based on a scaled Offy is a stretch.

The 1963 Ford V8 was a stock block - ie, it had pushrods.

A turbo version of the quad cam was made for 1968. Later Indy Ford engines were Cosworths.

http://www.wrljet.com/fordv8/indy.html

Tommy Cookers wrote:I suspect that Ford intended in part a race sportscar application at 5 litres, and a road spin-off eg 351
(the existing pushrod 4.2 litre/260 Indy winner was brother to the above dimensionally for good reason)
Yes, because it was originally based on the Ford 260 production V8. That morphed into the 289, then became the 302. The 351 was a different engine.

And then there were the Clevelands. Also available in 302 and 351 (this time the same engine with a few different components), and up to 400ci.

Tommy Cookers wrote:the pre WW1 Peugeot was overported (they were chasing laminar flow) and so had a 5 speed gearbox
First I've heard of this. I have struggled to find good info on the Peugeot 1912 GP car and its engine.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Offys won thousands of races (no F1 had more power or at least more useful power till 1950)
and if wanted would easily run non-stop on Avgas as per the Blue Crown wins at Indy
remember the heavy and rather lower powered Talbot-Lago sometimes won fair and square, running non-stop
around this time such imports to the UK were in effect banned
(even Vandervell had his Ferrari for research only, not to be retained after the research was over)

yes McLaren 1966 not 1967, I was trying to make a point about the engines chosen by posters

in 1962 Meyer was trying to sell Meyer & Drake to Ford
and Ford (Autolite div) bought an M&D aka Offy engine no 215
the 1963 Ford so-called stock-block that nearly won Indy was very special (albeit pushrod/stock-related to use existing head design)
because it was designed and made to take the dohc heads that appeared in 1964, using some parts from M&D
Meyer became the manager of said Ford dohc V8 engine supply program in 1965

as I said, maybe going 427 or whatever for Le Mans etc supervened possible/intended wider use (ie enlargement) of the dohc V8 ?
at least one road GT40 had a dohc fitted

Sombrero
Sombrero

Here something nice about the Peugeot L76 and its engine

The DOHC Peugeot part I : http://theoldmotor.com/?p=62241
The DOHC Peugeot part II : http://theoldmotor.com/?p=63773

xpensive
xpensive

The Offenhauser stayed competitive in Indy-racing until 1978, though AJ Foyt won the 1977 Indy 500 with his "own" Foyt V8.

But under John Barnard, Parnelli racing developed their own 2.65 version of the Cosworth DFV, debuting at Pocono 1975;

The project was later adopted by Cosworth and became the DFX, Winning the 1978 Indianapolis 500 with Al Unser Sr.,
who for good measure took the triple crown, adding Pocono and 500 and California 500 the same year.

It went on to dominate American Indy car racing in much the same way the DFV had dominated Formula 1. The engine won the Indianapolis 500 ten consecutive years from 1978 to 1987, as well as winning all USAC and CART championships between 1977 and 1987. It powered 81 consecutive Indy car victories from 1981 to 1986, and 153 victories total. By the time it was replaced the DFX was developing over 840 bhp (630 kW).

But after 1987, it was itself overrun by the Ilmor-Chevrolet and was in 1992 replaced by the purpose-designed XB;

wuzak
wuzak

Any details on the "Foyt V8"? Or pictures?

xpensive
xpensive

Scroll back to page 11 of this very thread Wuz.

wuzak
wuzak

xpensive wrote:Scroll back to page 11 of this very thread Wuz.
Ok, so it was an updated Ford Indy engine.

xpensive
xpensive

wuzak wrote:
xpensive wrote:Scroll back to page 11 of this very thread Wuz.
Ok, so it was an updated Ford Indy engine.
No, it was a destroked and turbocharged Ford Indy engine, which I consider a little more than updated.

Here in AJ Foyt's own 1977 Indy 500 winning Coyote;

marcush.
marcush.

AJFoyt did really something in Indy....winning in his own homebuild car AND engine...jesus ..the guy sure has a pair of seizeable balls....true grit ...unfortunatelly indy 500 was not part of the formula 1 schedule anymore in the 70s.
Foyt must be one of the few to win in LeMans and Indy...amazingly his team still uses the number 14 on their current car in indycars.