A shameless image thread for the enginephiles

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Sombrero
Sombrero

Re: A shameless thread for the enginephiles

The HONDA RA806E 2.4 litre V8 F1 engine

more on http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... -revealed/

xpensive
xpensive

I have often wondered how the 2009 Brawn had fared with that gorgeous looking engine above instead of the Mercedes?

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

hpengineprep
hpengineprep

An engine I'm currently working on.

Bugatti EB110. 3.5 liters, 60 valves, Individual throttle bodies, 4 turbos.

FW17

xpensive wrote:I have often wondered how the 2009 Brawn had fared with that gorgeous looking engine above instead of the Mercedes?

http://images.gizmag.com/hero/5189_11020620620.jpg
They would have been nowhere near the front

timbo
timbo

WilliamsF1 wrote:They would have been nowhere near the front
Brawn said quite contrary, he said that the car packaging and performance was severely compromised to accomodate Merc.

flynfrog

saw this at the indoor kart track this weekend

Last edited by flynfrog on 26 Nov 2013, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

FW17

timbo wrote:
Brawn said quite contrary, he said that the car packaging and performance was severely compromised to accomodate Merc.
For argument sake let us assume Merc and Ferrari were equally good in 2008. We got a direct comparison between Renault and Ferrari on the RB4/STR3. The Honda was well behind Renault and probably even behind Cosworth in terms of reliability and drivablity.

Agreed the Merc engine was not a perfect fit on the car which hurt them in the second half in terms of development, but without the Merc engine they will not have been able to dominate the first half. With the Honda engine they would have been equal or just ahead of Williams and Toyota (both who had a good year) but would not have been able to dominate.

2000 Williams BMW was another perfect example of poor chassis great engine combo.

flynfrog

WilliamsF1 wrote:
timbo wrote:
For argument sake let us assume Merc and Ferrari were equally good in 2008. We got a direct comparison between Renault and Ferrari on the RB4/STR3. The Honda was well behind Renault and probably even behind Cosworth in terms of reliability and drivablity.

Agreed the Merc engine was not a perfect fit on the car which hurt them in the second half in terms of development, but without the Merc engine they will not have been able to dominate the first half. With the Honda engine they would have been equal or just ahead of Williams and Toyota (both who had a good year) but would not have been able to dominate.

2000 Williams BMW was another perfect example of poor chassis great engine combo.
how about you take your argument elsewhere and post more pictures of pretty shiny things. There is really no reason for this thread to take a turn into bickering. There is no public info for either motor you have no idea of any of the important technical details to make a sound argument so whats the point.

FoxHound

Here is something that will warm the cockles of your heart chaps.

The Mercedes/Cosworth 16 valve collaboration. In this post, it's the daddy version...2.5 litre.
Based on the M102 bread and butter motor that saw service for many a W123, W124 and W201.
But with some heavy breathing done by the lads at Coswroth, they came up with this classic.

The 2.3 version below:

And the evocative sounds of the ol' DTM 4 banger, which should make your synapses fire accordingly.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ8x1AwmwUM[/youtube]
JET set

xpensive
xpensive

More Mercedes Fox;

The super complicated Mercedes Bluetec Turbo-Diesel, mated to a 7-speed automatic transmission. These 6 cylinder engines have an average of 200+ moving parts, several gallons of coolant, 8.5 qts motor oil and 9 qts of transmission fluid.

timbo
timbo

This one may not look as sexy, but definitely is worth mention.
This is engine of AMX-56 Leclerc main battle tank (from France). It's unique because the turbine may work independently from engine and functions as APU. It has very high boost pressure and the engine itself is rather small compared to other tanks.

FoxHound

@x

That thing looks monstrous. But it's diesel :(
Can we forward a motion to ban the merest mention of diesel on this thread? 8)
JET set

zonk
zonk

i love diesel :D

audi v12
audi v10

peugeot

xpensive
xpensive

@ Fox;

Hmmm...would banning mentioning Mercedes diesels from this here thread be good enough for you?

zonk
zonk

and the sound gives me goosebumps...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKIc1BcWDlM[/youtube]