Racing games

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Alonso Fan

Re: Racing games

SectorOne wrote:I agree. I think if you are buying Codemasters games you are doing an disservice to the gaming community, honestly.
Buy AC instead, a proper sim company. (and buy a wheel otherwise it´s a useless experience)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnXTxv5 ... HdqYFXVO4Q
The reason why they make half simulation games is because of the buying community. It's not because they CAN'T male them. They want more money, so they try their best to Taylor their gaming experience to what their customers want. They tried making a harder simulation in f1 2011 and not many liked it. They try to make f1 games accessible to new comers, people who haven't raced before, who are just becoming interested in the sport. People poke that will usually spin off at the first corner even with all aids turned on. Then, when the game is too hard, they give up and f1 gets a bad name in their eyes.

Games like AC have a smaller community who lole simulation games. (I've actually never heard of them)

I'd say - and I'm sure you'll agree - that forza 5 is a simulation game. Has very good physics and nice graphics. There are numerous comparison videos of the Lotus f1 car in that vs f1 2013, and even though forza has a miles better physics engine which can handle many types of cars, people say that f1 has better physics, looks more real, is more 'f1 like' than forza, in that respect.

And anyway, there is no other company that makes official f1 games other than codemasters now, so if you want a new f1 game other than that, you're gonna have to look in mods, and I don't do mods

And, about buying a wheel, not everyone has a lot of money to spend on leisure you know. We have lives too :)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

mertol

Forza is the same crap as codemasters' games. F1 2011 is not different. Assists are the answer to casual players. If you use keyboard you are casual. There are no other developers because the sheep keep buying codemasters' crap.

Alonso Fan

Ok. If you think that, then that's fine. Its your opinion, and you're very much entitled to that.

My opinion is that forza has very good physics. Watch this, from 4:22 to at lease 5:00

http://youtu.be/JABjJ8wV5X8

I think that's pretty good physics.

I've watched the AC video posted earlier on this thread, and I know what simulation is. It handles similar to rfactor and Geoff crammond's grand prix series (which I own a copy of)

Just curious, is Gran Trismo crap as well?

If you use keyboard, you are not always casual. I have played grand prix 3 with a keyboard, not because I'm casual, just because I don't have the spare money to buy a steering wheel. As I've mentioned previously on this thread, I just bought a new graphics card so my pc can handle games at low settings. Not because I'm casual, just because I've 1) not needed a high end graphics card before, and 2) just saved up enough spare money to buy one.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I understand why you guys say that forza/f1 series is bad.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

mertol

Ye gran turismo is the same. What am I supposed to see on your video the yellow braking disks?

Alonso Fan

You're supposed to see how the car spins, how it handles under power, how he tries to go back into a straight line, but looses control (if you watched it till 5:00 mins then you'd know exactly what I was talking about.) Just because you have an opinion about a game being crap doesn't mean you have to have a dig at all those who think it is alright, by being all cocky and sarcastic about it.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

And, I'm not at all saying that codemasters make the best games, or I'm not saying that the simulation games you play are rubbish, but, BUT, just because you (or anyone else) don't like a game (and say its crap) doesn't mean it's rubbish.

I don't like iPhones, does that mean they're rubbish? Nope, they're good phones, I just don't like them, and have never done.

ANYWAY, you play the games you like and I'll play the games i like, and no one has to interfere with anyone's games. This topic is about Racing Games, and we all play Racing Games. You sound as though I don't play racing games, and you sound like you're saying that codemasters' f1 games aren't racing games.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Alonso Fan wrote:And, about buying a wheel, not everyone has a lot of money to spend on leisure you know. We have lives too :)
It's a lot less money than buying an xbox one just for Forza 5.
Alonso Fan wrote:You're supposed to see how the car spins, how it handles under power, how he tries to go back into a straight line, but looses control (if you watched it till 5:00 mins then you'd know exactly what I was talking about.) Just because you have an opinion about a game being crap doesn't mean you have to have a dig at all those who think it is alright, by being all cocky and sarcastic about it.
Honestly, all that seems to be pretty basic stuff that has been in racing "sims" for years as long as you turn traction control off. If it didn't do that on a 900+hp hybrid power car, it would be very worrying.

Alonso Fan

acosmichippo wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:And, about buying a wheel, not everyone has a lot of money to spend on leisure you know. We have lives too :)
It's a lot less money than buying an xbox one just for Forza 5.
Alonso Fan wrote:You're supposed to see how the car spins, how it handles under power, how he tries to go back into a straight line, but looses control (if you watched it till 5:00 mins then you'd know exactly what I was talking about.) Just because you have an opinion about a game being crap doesn't mean you have to have a dig at all those who think it is alright, by being all cocky and sarcastic about it.
Honestly, all that seems to be pretty basic stuff that has been in racing "sims" for years as long as you turn traction control off. If it didn't do that on a 900+hp car, it would be very worrying.
Yes, its a lot cheaper than buying an xb one and forza 5, but you sound like you assumed I have them.

I have neither.

Forza was just an example. I have played it on a friends console and yes, I know spinning and oversteer in a 900 bhp car is simple, but that was just an example. The full explanation is much more than that. It's the way cars handle, the way they are to drive, how much oversteer / understeer a car has, how it reacts in the gravel, how damage affects the car, how much the tyres Las and penalise you when they've lost their grip, things like this, is what forza is good at in my opinion. Again, just an opinion.

Oh yeah, and the SOUND! Awesome sound in forza, they did good work on that.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

In the future, I think we should have 2 topics. Racing Sims and Racing 'Sims' maybe then you guys can go talk about the great racing sins like grand prix 3, rfactor etc, and people like me will go to Racing 'Sims' and talk about that new codemasters game someone gave us. Then, there should be a third topic called non racing sims, for people who play need for speed and asphalt

Then there will be no conflict.

I really do not want to argue about our differences.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

SectorOne

Alonso Fan wrote:The reason why they make half simulation games is because of the buying community. It's not because they CAN'T male them.
They can´t make them like this, maybe if they brought new people in they could possibly make a simulator game.
Alonso Fan wrote:I'd say - and I'm sure you'll agree - that forza 5 is a simulation game. Has very good physics and nice graphics.
No it´s a Simcade game. One bracket below a simulator.
Codemasters is arcade, one bracket below Forza.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Alonso Fan

Ok, fine you guys win

But I wouldn't say that codemasters is completely arcade, its definitely more arcade than simulation though.

You know what was completely arcade? Toca Racedriver for ps2.

That was arcade. No wheel spin, no sliding, no spinning, even in 500bhp car, glued to the track. The only challenge was that the AI cars were unrealistically fast.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

mertol

Discussing arcade games is fine. My point is arcade F1 games are fail by definition.

mrluke
mrluke

I always find a "simulator" harder than driving an actual car, the complete lack of feel is difficult to overcome. You can't feel the weight moving around, you cant feel how close you are to locking up, you cant feel when you are just starting to get a bit of slip at the rear.

Alonso Fan

mrluke wrote:I always find a "simulator" harder than driving an actual car, the complete lack of feel is difficult to overcome. You can't feel the weight moving around, you cant feel how close you are to locking up, you cant feel when you are just starting to get a bit of slip at the rear.
I agree unless you have tyre screeching

:)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

SectorOne

mrluke wrote:I always find a "simulator" harder than driving an actual car, the complete lack of feel is difficult to overcome. You can't feel the weight moving around, you cant feel how close you are to locking up, you cant feel when you are just starting to get a bit of slip at the rear.
It´s true you have less to go by in a simulator but you can definitely feel the rear end stepping out through the wheel.
Given you don´t have a death-grip on the wheel and properly set up wheel settings.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"