Racing games

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Moanlower

Re: Racing games

mrluke wrote:I always find a "simulator" harder than driving an actual car, the complete lack of feel is difficult to overcome. You can't feel the weight moving around, you cant feel how close you are to locking up, you cant feel when you are just starting to get a bit of slip at the rear.
'Complete lack of feel' is a bit exaggerated. I agree that a simulator will always have an extra difficulty since you don't feel the G's and have less sense of speed. You can only go by what you see, hear and what you feel in the FFB.

However, the physics in Assetto Corsa, combined with the FFB is more than good and realistic enough to feel everything that's need to be felt. Threshold braking is possible due to the tire noise that's different from locking up and can also be felt through the FFB. Same with acceleration, losing tracting mid corner, weight transfer etc..

Early sims like rfactor or iracing are difficult to drive, even at lower speeds which is total unrealistic. Assetto Corsa's tire model and physics fixes that and then some. The cars are fairly easy to drive, just how it is in real life, but once you reach the limits of the car it's a different game. Realism there is great but still a work in progress, and with the latest news that they partnered up with RSRNurburg means they'll even have more data to compare from.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/assetto-cor ... r-nurburg/

@ Alonso Fan: I wonder how one can judge a game's realism if all they've used is a keyboard or joypad and probably never driven a real car before, let alone driven to it's limits. I don't mind if people prefer arcade or simcade, but to state that one is realistic because the tires slip or have similar times compared to the real car/track combo is utter bs.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

Alonso Fan

Moanlower, I agree with you to an extent, but I would say that grand prix 3 is a very realistic simulator, and yes, I have only driven it with a keyboard but I'm not going off that. I'm going off the fact that it has been driven by real f1 drivers and confirmed that it is one of the most realistic simulators out there.

Yes I agree with you that there is no such confirmed news about forza or gran trismo or any codemasters games

But there are a lot of cars in such games which wouldn't be programmable because no one has actually driven them to the limit before. For example, how would you program a Lamborghini veneno when only 3 have been made and they have all been sold? It would be a difficult task, so I would imagine that you would adjust the physics of one of your Lamborghini aventadors (which the veneno is based on). And yes, then you wouldn't have a very accurate physics for a car even in a simulator, so in that case, how would you judge it with a Logitech g27? Its impossible

Unless of course you have driven the car before
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

mertol

The data is not the problem for the console titles. It's their poor physics.

slimfitcasual

Took the SRT_01E Formula E car for a spin in Forza 5...

What's with the engine though, even quieter than F1! 8)
Per ardua ad astra

mertol

Sounds like a tram does it :D about as fast too...

Moanlower

Alonso Fan wrote:Moanlower, I agree with you to an extent, but I would say that grand prix 3 is a very realistic simulator, and yes, I have only driven it with a keyboard but I'm not going off that. I'm going off the fact that it has been driven by real f1 drivers and confirmed that it is one of the most realistic simulators out there.

Yes I agree with you that there is no such confirmed news about forza or gran trismo or any codemasters games

But there are a lot of cars in such games which wouldn't be programmable because no one has actually driven them to the limit before. For example, how would you program a Lamborghini veneno when only 3 have been made and they have all been sold? It would be a difficult task, so I would imagine that you would adjust the physics of one of your Lamborghini aventadors (which the veneno is based on). And yes, then you wouldn't have a very accurate physics for a car even in a simulator, so in that case, how would you judge it with a Logitech g27? Its impossible

I can't comment on GP3, haven't played that. But there are also many real race drivers that said the same positive things about iracing, and with that sim I have experience with and it's far from realistic. I don't want to break iracing down completely because it has aspects that are really good, but not the physics.

All cars from Assetto Corsa are licenced, which means they have access to all data necessary. Also all tracks are laser scanned. And now with RSRNurburg as a partner, they will be able to correlate all real data from plenty of cars that are already in the sim, combined with track data from those cars on tracks like Spa and Nordschleife. You can't expect much more than that, and everything for 35 euro's ! Now that's insane, especially if you compare to what you get at iracing for 10 or 20 times that money.

btw: What are your pc specs? gpu, cpu ? I really recommend buying a cheap 2nd hand wheel such as a Logitech DFGT for 50 bucks and buy AC. It will be the best money you've ever spend. And if you don't like hard core all aids off, start with abs or stabilty control. You could even set good laptimes with a joypad, but I wouldn't recommend it since it has hidden aids. It also wouldn't be possible to drive a real racecar with a joypad and have accurate and subtle steering and pedal inputs.

Alonso Fan

Moanlower wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:Moanlower, I agree with you to an extent, but I would say that grand prix 3 is a very realistic simulator, and yes, I have only driven it with a keyboard but I'm not going off that. I'm going off the fact that it has been driven by real f1 drivers and confirmed that it is one of the most realistic simulators out there.

I can't comment on GP3, haven't played that. But there are also many real race drivers that said the same positive things about iracing, and with that sim I have experience with and it's far from realistic. I don't want to break iracing down completely because it has aspects that are really good, but not the physics.

All cars from Assetto Corsa are licenced, which means they have access to all data necessary. Also all tracks are laser scanned. And now with RSRNurburg as a partner, they will be able to correlate all real data from plenty of cars that are already in the sim, combined with track data from those cars on tracks like Spa and Nordschleife. You can't expect much more than that, and everything for 35 euro's ! Now that's insane, especially if you compare to what you get at iracing for 10 or 20 times that money.

btw: What are your pc specs? gpu, cpu ? I really recommend buying a cheap 2nd hand wheel such as a Logitech DFGT for 50 bucks and buy AC. It will be the best money you've ever spend. And if you don't like hard core all aids off, start with abs or stabilty control. You could even set good laptimes with a joypad, but I wouldn't recommend it since it has hidden aids. It also wouldn't be possible to drive a real racecar with a joypad and have accurate and subtle steering and pedal inputs.
yep i agree totally, laser scanned tracks are the best, most accurate. and yes, gp3 has an element of steering help with the keyboard like you said about AC. similar. but not with joypad or steering wheel.

gp4 looks better, with the same physics engine, but damage and tracks arent that realistic (it was released in 2000 and i dont think they had laser scanning/gps tracking for games then)

i just upgraded my pc from:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.6ghz

4gb ddr2 ram

Onboard graphics, NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

mobo: ECS GeForce 6100pm-m2 v2.0

450w psu

to:

AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core, 2.4ghz

4gb ddr2 ram

Radeon HD 6770 graphics card

mobo: ECS GeForce 6100pm-m2 v2.0

500w psu

the pc with the first specs cost me £30, and to upgrade it to the second set of specs, it cost me around £85

worth it imo.

f1 2013 runs at 30 fps with medium graphics settings, which is enough for me (my cpu and graphics card are fully capable of running ultra graphics at around 50/60 fps but my mobo has limitations, such as socket am2, not am2+, and pci express x16 version 1.x, with a version 2.1 graphics card)

so due to the recent upgrade i'm a bit short on cash at the moment
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

Best lap on YouTube which I could find which shows grand prix 3 's realistic physics engine

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=yout ... lHrDN1d638

And best wet hot lap here

http://youtu.be/WH4iFXDUVKM

Although this guy knows how to drive and cope with the power, with no driving aids on
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Moanlower

Alonso Fan wrote:Best lap on YouTube which I could find which shows grand prix 3 's realistic physics engine

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=yout ... lHrDN1d638

And best wet hot lap here

http://youtu.be/WH4iFXDUVKM

Although this guy knows how to drive and cope with the power, with no driving aids on
Yes, physics look good for a sim that's almost 20 years old. I heard about it btw. People mentioning the microprose sim from Geoff Crammond that was very good in that day, and even still decent today compared to some games. Still very difficult to compare with a latest technology sim like AC.

Your pc specs are on the edge for AC, could get enough fps with graphics settings very low which is still more than good enough, but if you can play Forza and maybe Pcars later on, it's good enough i guess. Try getting a cheap FFB wheel first.

grtz

Alonso Fan

Hmm yeah

I'd love to post some of my gp3 videos, which show the handling and physics very well. I'm not a youtube member so I'll have to see if tinypic can do the job

Another good feature in gp3 is that it has a data logger, which means that it gets car information from the physics engine. So if you, for example, in qualifying, do a hot lap, you can view the logged data in the game via a graph, and there are so many values to choose from, like velocity, rpm, ride height for each wheel, and all sorts more. It looks something similar to what real f1 telemetry looks like.

Check this out for a telemetry lap

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/08/07/f ... ngaroring/

Gp3 laps look something like that when graphed in a game, and you can compare 2 laps as well.

I found that to be the best thing to improve my car setup.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

mertol

iracing uses atlas - mclaren's software for telemetry

mertol

Unofficial f1 2014 cars in GSC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jRy1R3xaj4
Have not tested it yet.

SectorOne

Moanlower wrote:But there are also many real race drivers that said the same positive things about iracing,
Actually there´s plenty of real life drivers playing iRacing quite often. For example Shane van Gisbergen in the V8 series.
Moanlower wrote:and with that sim I have experience with and it's far from realistic. I don't want to break iracing down completely because it has aspects that are really good, but not the physics.
Physics is good in iRacing, it´s just the tire model that isn´t providing the same feedback and feel as for example Kunos which has cracked that one pretty good, even in NKPro.

For every iteration of the tire model in iRacing introduced you need to drive several cars because they go from extremely good to broken. for example the HPD when it got released was amazing, then new tire model updates came which made it not so good so it swings back and forth after every update.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Moanlower

SectorOne wrote:
Moanlower wrote:But there are also many real race drivers that said the same positive things about iracing,
Actually there´s plenty of real life drivers playing iRacing quite often. For example Shane van Gisbergen in the V8 series.
Moanlower wrote:and with that sim I have experience with and it's far from realistic. I don't want to break iracing down completely because it has aspects that are really good, but not the physics.
Physics is good in iRacing, it´s just the tire model that isn´t providing the same feedback and feel as for example Kunos which has cracked that one pretty good, even in NKPro.

For every iteration of the tire model in iRacing introduced you need to drive several cars because they go from extremely good to broken. for example the HPD when it got released was amazing, then new tire model updates came which made it not so good so it swings back and forth after every update.
I know. As a matter of fact, I raced with Scott Speed and Alvaro Parente to name a few in iracing. iracing's physics frustrated me because it has too many flaws. After a few months of AC I went back to test iracing again and had enough of it after testing a few cars on a few tracks. I got an offer for 3 months for 5 bucks and even if it was for free I wouldn't go back.

SectorOne

It will come good eventually, it´s just the tire model because the wonky physics happens on the limit and over it, that´s where the shady stuff happens which then translates into FFB feel (or lack off).

I agree though, right now AC is on a different level to anything out there.
I haven´t bought it yet as i first was waiting to see the netcode and then i realized i´m still in this funk of not having a passion for simracing at the moment.

But i did run the tech demo a lot, did a 22.5 with the Lotus around Magione with a broken FFB which wasn´t too bad.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"