Formula 1 teams pushing for permanent numbers for drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: Driver's select race number's

SectorOne wrote:You can´t pick and choose numbers every year. You pick one and you keep it for the rest of your career.
And the teams won´t have any numbers. They belong to the individual drivers now.
finally someone who has read it before posting
Daliracing wrote:would WDC's choose the number they where when they first become champion?
WDC's will get the choice of using there number or using 1.

All the drivers will now pick there number, if two drivers pick the same number then the driver who finished higher in the championship gets priority

This would bring a lot of marketing power to the drivers, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two bringing out there own merchandise now purely based around there number (excluding the teams completely).

MIKEY_!

What happens when a driver retires, then makes a comeback a few years later only to find someone new has stolen his number? Are new drivers prevented from taking the number of a driver who recently retired?

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

The shitstorm will be deafening if Vettel picks 27.

Although it would be fitting with his future being at Ferrari.

Holm86

MIKEY_! wrote:What happens when a driver retires, then makes a comeback a few years later only to find someone new has stolen his number? Are new drivers prevented from taking the number of a driver who recently retired?
When a driver stops his number will be free again. If someone chooses it and he then returns at another point its just bad luck for him. You cant reserve numbers for drivers just in case they choose to come back.

Hail22

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGr7lXlyK3Y[/youtube]

Curious what Raikkonen's favourite number is? It's a shame no one can have 0.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Sevach
Sevach

I wonder if someone will pick nr 2?

horse

SilverArrow10 wrote:O yeah, think Hamilton would pick 22 as has been said.
Button won his championship in car 22, so he may want it too. He'll have to wait for the other 7 to decide first though.

I think they will have to do it one at a time, from Vettel back, because if one driver changes due to a conflict it might cause further clashes down the tree.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I would pick No. 13 :D

Less likely future drivers will pick it, so you would always be remembered for it.

slimfitcasual

Re: Formula 1 teams pushing for permanent numbers for driver

antiuser wrote:I'd prefer the old system where the teams have fixed numbers and 1/2 goes to the current WDC's team. I would also love it if numbers were more visible on the cars.
Agreed, any word on a minimum size for numbers? They're painfully small due to sponsorship space I'm guessing.
Per ardua ad astra

Gridlock

So who was the last to race the 0?

I wonder if JB and Lewis will be fighting over 22.

astracrazy
astracrazy

horse wrote:
SilverArrow10 wrote:O yeah, think Hamilton would pick 22 as has been said.
Button won his championship in car 22, so he may want it too. He'll have to wait for the other 7 to decide first though.

I think they will have to do it one at a time, from Vettel back, because if one driver changes due to a conflict it might cause further clashes down the tree.
Button won't have to wait as such, but there are 7 drivers who could have priority over him. He could prob say tomorrow he wants it but if Hamilton is two weeks says he wants it - he will get it.

I wonder if Vettel will use his number or number 1 (remember the choice is his)
Last edited by astracrazy on 10 Dec 2013, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Tim.Wright

antiuser wrote:I'd prefer the old system where the teams have fixed numbers and 1/2 goes to the current WDC's team. I would also love it if numbers were more visible on the cars.
For what its worth, when I was at Monza, every car except for the Force India had a massive vacant space on the rear wing endplates where you could have put a 250mm high number like the do in GP2.
Not the engineer at Force India

gray41

Sebastian 5 (V being 5 in Vettel)
Fernando 14 (Karting number plus the 4 could look like a A)
Lewis 22 (Championship number) 12 (because he loves Senna)
Kimi 11 (Hunts championship number)

Just some guesses?

I would like if they used the font provided by the teams, RedBull/Mercedes have ran their own styled numbers for a long time which would be nice to keep.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Gridlock

I also think 22 because it's one better than 23, a very famous sporting number (Jordan, Beckham). Funnily enough didn't Marko run 22? So maybe Vettel will want it :D

I think 30 is another possibility for HAM (XXX) but yeah Senna's 12 has to be favourite.

Of course if this has been done with one eye on the US, visible car numbers will have to be the next thing to be mandated.

Bomber_Pilot

Daliracing wrote:
gray41 wrote:I would think he'd chose his "vettel" number but run #1 as world champion.
would he go for 69? it would fit the names he gives his cars like kinky kyle :D
69 is reserved for Maldonado, so that you can easily read the number, even when the car is upside down.