2014 intercooling

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
rjsa
rjsa

Re: 2014 intercooling

7.6 Cooling systems :
The cooling systems of the power unit, including that of the charge air, must not intentionally
make use of the latent heat of vaporisation of any fluid with the exception of fuel for the
normal purpose of combustion in the engine as described in Article 5.14.

trinidefender
trinidefender

eyalynf1 wrote:Also no latent energy cooling allowed (no vaporization of the working fluid).
Ok well if no vaporisation then that rules out part of the way a fridge system cools. However you can still use a different coolant and compress it up to the limit before running it through a heat exchanger then drop it back down to normal operating pressure again after. This will have the effect of having a higher heat transfer per unit surface area of radiator.

Holm86

trinidefender wrote:
eyalynf1 wrote:Also no latent energy cooling allowed (no vaporization of the working fluid).
Ok well if no vaporisation then that rules out part of the way a fridge system cools. However you can still use a different coolant and compress it up to the limit before running it through a heat exchanger then drop it back down to normal operating pressure again after. This will have the effect of having a higher heat transfer per unit surface area of radiator.
It completely rules out the way a fridge works. A fridge needs the coolant to go between a gas and a liquid state.
And you cant compress a liquid so i dont get your idea?

tuj
tuj

I just looked through the regulations and there is no mention of an intercooler. Now that said, I can't imagine anyone will NOT run an intercooler. The intercooler in theory adds to turbo lag, but with the ERS systems, lag should be a thing of the past.

rjsa
rjsa

tuj wrote:I just looked through the regulations and there is no mention of an intercooler. Now that said, I can't imagine anyone will NOT run an intercooler. The intercooler in theory adds to turbo lag, but with the ERS systems, lag should be a thing of the past.
Cooling of the chrarge air as mentioned above is the function of the intercooler.

tuj
tuj

Yes I fully understand the function of the intercooler, which is why I said I can't imagine teams running without one. The drawback of an intercooler on a conventional setup is lag in throttle response. But with ERS keeping the turbo always spooled up, that shouldn't matter.

Pierce89

Owen.C93 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
scarbs wrote:Fans are not allowed.
So that is why they are thinking of those weird double points rules and what not :P (yeah bad joke, i know)

Anyways, back on topic. Do the rules force you to run an intercooler? I don't know much about Turbo's but going after TheWPTformula's article on it(which was a great article by the way) I think that there would be a big aero and weight advantage in not running an intercooler. Of course there would be deficits to doing so, but could the advantages outweigh the deficits?

It's very hard to run a turbo without an intercooler IMO.
It's quite easy at low boost, and, unfortunately, low boost will describe the '14 units quite well.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

ringo

You can't have a fuel limited racing series and then have a turbo charged engine without an intercooler.
The intercooler directly affects the fuel efficiency of the engine. I think we had this discussion in the engine thread.
For Sure!!

dragosmp
dragosmp

trinidefender wrote:Thanks scarbs. Now I wonder if anybody has tried to use electrostatic fluid accelerators ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrosta ... ccelerator ) to help move air. While this method may not be able to move a large mass of air quickly enough without being to big, for use in ground effects and such) I have to wonder if it can be implemented to help pull air through the radiators. This in turn may allow the designers to make the radiators, the cowling or the inlet area smaller.
It could in theory, but take a look at this article:
http://www.ee.washington.edu/research/s ... les/73.pdf
My takeaway is the order of magnitude for a 3mm cathode to anode you put 4.3kV for 7.5m/s airspeed. In practice there are two immediate problems that could occur: packaging (you'd need the source to be close and at kilovolt-level to the rads) and safety - what do you do in the case of a crash considering the radiators have to be at the mass of the ICE, you'd immediately rise the potential of the motor to a couple of kV with interesting effects on the electronics and battery.

I see it as a possible solid-state technology to cool the electronic boards in case active cooling is needed.

rjsa
rjsa

tuj wrote:Yes I fully understand the function of the intercooler, which is why I said I can't imagine teams running without one. The drawback of an intercooler on a conventional setup is lag in throttle response. But with ERS keeping the turbo always spooled up, that shouldn't matter.
It's no forbiden anywhere, right? I'd guess there was no need to regulate anything specific to the intercoolers, just that.

What might just as well be a nice loophole for some smart guy to explore.

xpensive
xpensive

I'm still certain that we in reality will see nothing like the humongous visualizations of an intercoolers from Renault and Ferrari.

Modern aerodynamics and packaging will simply not allow for it. More something like this I xpect;

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

trinidefender
trinidefender

xpensive wrote:I'm still certain that we in reality will see nothing like the humongous visualizations of an intercoolers from Renault and Ferrari.

Modern aerodynamics and packaging will simply not allow for it. More something like this I xpect;

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-c ... ren14b.jpg
That looks like a very real possibility, however if it is done like that I suspect they may place it above the air box and below the intake and take air from just above the drivers head.

Abarth

xpensive wrote:I'm still certain that we in reality will see nothing like the humongous visualizations of an intercoolers from Renault and Ferrari.

Modern aerodynamics and packaging will simply not allow for it. More something like this I xpect;[...]
Water/Air heat exchanger would mean that you have to add cooling power for the water cooler.
AFAIK, they are running about 130°C water temperature level, this is too high a temperature level for the charge air in my opinion.

timbo
timbo

ringo wrote:You can't have a fuel limited racing series and then have a turbo charged engine without an intercooler.
The intercooler directly affects the fuel efficiency of the engine.

Actually, as far as there's enough boost to have stoichiometric mixture at full fuel flow the benefits of an intercooler become much less pronounced.