why do karts pull so many lateral g's?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
hollus

Re: why do karts pull so many lateral g's?

The average(ish) lateral g is 0.4g to the right. Those accelerators cannot be properly mounted / calibrated (or both).
Look from 6 to 11 seconds of the first link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai4x1Y7zYtM Again from 38 to 40 seconds, and around the 56 second mark. That blue dot really likes to be to the right in the graph.
Rivals, not enemies.

Tim.Wright

Ogami musashi wrote:
There's no offest. The straigthline at lonato is actually a very short one till the start finish line, then it angles right before a kink. The karts are actually turning.
I'm not going to keep pushing the point. To me its pretty clear there is a significant offset. Looking at the map there are two decent straights on this track and in both of them the offset is very clear.

Either way its far from conclusive as to whether karts can hold 2G or not. Those stupid bouncing ball graphics are good for nothing except pretty pictures. If you are able to look at the time histories, ideally with steering angle and/or yawrate it would be a lot easier to spot the offset as well as properly seeing what the cornering accelerations are.
Not the engineer at Force India

krisfx
krisfx

tuj wrote:
Firstly I just want to say that the automatic go karts like Rotax Max pull more g's than the shifters.
Can you tell me why this is? :?:

KF and KZ are a lot quicker than Rotax, they run softer compound slicks as well, so I imagine their lateral loading would be quite a bit higher.

I've driven Rotax, though and it's on another level compared to hire karts etc. A friend of mine also ran his Rotax on DD2 slicks and he said the grip was immense. =]

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Tim.Wright wrote:
Ogami musashi wrote:
There's no offest. The straigthline at lonato is actually a very short one till the start finish line, then it angles right before a kink. The karts are actually turning.
I'm not going to keep pushing the point. To me its pretty clear there is a significant offset. Looking at the map there are two decent straights on this track and in both of them the offset is very clear.

Either way its far from conclusive as to whether karts can hold 2G or not. Those stupid bouncing ball graphics are good for nothing except pretty pictures. If you are able to look at the time histories, ideally with steering angle and/or yawrate it would be a lot easier to spot the offset as well as properly seeing what the cornering accelerations are.
No problem. It is not a life threatening problem :)

I agree you can find too much eddies in kart telemetry...but that doesn't mean you're right neither :)

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

krisfx wrote:
tuj wrote:
Firstly I just want to say that the automatic go karts like Rotax Max pull more g's than the shifters.
Can you tell me why this is? :?:

KF and KZ are a lot quicker than Rotax, they run softer compound slicks as well, so I imagine their lateral loading would be quite a bit higher.

I've driven Rotax, though and it's on another level compared to hire karts etc. A friend of mine also ran his Rotax on DD2 slicks and he said the grip was immense. =]
No. Shifter kart have lower cornering speeds. The do not necessarily run on soft compounds. on KZ1 does so and its the world championship.

And even them are cornering slower than KF kart....just because of the weight (empty weight of a KF kart =75kg, empty weight of KZ=96kg).

Juzh

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2HCthX8Lkg[/youtube]

2g in pretty much every corner. peaks at 2.5. I've only driven a rotax max so far but was able to set 4 seconds faster lap time than the fastest car ever tested on that track with ease.

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

The telemetry in this video is not correct IMHO. higher than 2g's is unlikely in non gear box kart let alone shifter karts especially this one that had a paddle shifter with additional battery and linkeage (so even heavier than standard shifter karts).

MadMatt
MadMatt

Superkarts reach peaks of 2-2.1g in corners. Many videos are on youtube, but take a look at this one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr0HAlvxqJI[/youtube]

The reason (besides the speed they can reach due to their high power/weight ratio) why they are pulling so much lateral acceleration is a combination of:

- very low CoG
- soft grippy tyres
- small mass

And as it was said, they have a very good contact patch area compared to their mass!

:)

krisfx
krisfx

Ogami musashi wrote:The telemetry in this video is not correct IMHO. higher than 2g's is unlikely in non gear box kart let alone shifter karts especially this one that had a paddle shifter with additional battery and linkeage (so even heavier than standard shifter karts).

What karts do you race?

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

krisfx wrote:
Ogami musashi wrote:The telemetry in this video is not correct IMHO. higher than 2g's is unlikely in non gear box kart let alone shifter karts especially this one that had a paddle shifter with additional battery and linkeage (so even heavier than standard shifter karts).

What karts do you race?
Non shifter why?