The all new Redbull RB2

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
bernard
bernard

jezzwa wrote:Big nose, inefficient aero, perhaps the ferrari designers have had too much of an influence in the design of this car, good thing Newey will be able to fix it. :lol:
And we all know what an excellent track record newey has on designing bulletproof cars! :D It's practically his trademark:
Speed is nothing, reliability is everything. Newey. :o

bernard
bernard

Could someone remind me again at what temperature carbonfibre burns? Someone hasn't been doing their homework.

Spencifer_Murphy

LOL...uhoh that cannot be very healthy for the car. :lol:
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

manchild
manchild

Now I know why is that bull jumping of from there - heat gives him wings :lol:

RH1300S
RH1300S

You can they are worried about something, those little blue patches are heat sensitive stickers, they will show the max temp reached.

Spencifer_Murphy

There seems to be a serious amount of heat comming out of that engine...and I dont think all of it is in the exhaust gases either. The rear of the car is covered in those temperature markers...surely the exhaust gases dont effect THAT wide an area of the car...so (if im right about tht) they must also be measureing heat from the engine)

(If im wrong about tht then they just measureing exhaust heat LOL)
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

jezzwa

That Ferrari V8 must have some heat issues or the sidepods aren't collecting enough air :o
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

greenpower dude reloaded

if those sidepods aren't collecting enough air then they are gonna have to have some huge sidepods because as it has been pointed out before on this forum some of the other teams i.e. williams were already running far smaller sidepods in China and thats with the V10 so i reckon some of the other teams are gonna look like they have sidepods from an F3 car compared to RBR's attempt lol

But then i spose its also to do with the quality of air and if something infront of the sidepods is causin trouble then maybe they can be saved like tht i dunno

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

The sidepods themselves are small, just the openings are huge.

Not exactly the textbook way of making a radiator duct, but they would know more about it than me... :)

Should make for nice flow to the diffuser though (hopefully).

ginsu
ginsu

jezzwa wrote:That Ferrari V8 must have some heat issues or the sidepods aren't collecting enough air :o
This could be the perfect result of the difficulties of marrying engine and
chassis. Especially when your company doesn't make the engine!
I love to love Senna.

ginsu
ginsu

Is it just me or does the v-keel look alot bigger/heavier than it needs to be? Are they doing it for drag purposes? I guess they could be, but itt doesn't make too much sense to me unless it's a structural issue.
I love to love Senna.

ginsu
ginsu

ginsu wrote:
jezzwa wrote:That Ferrari V8 must have some heat issues or the sidepods aren't collecting enough air :o
This could be the perfect result of the difficulties of marrying engine and
chassis. Especially when your company doesn't make the engine!
I read in Autosport recently that the Red Bull team got the heat rejection figures for the Ferrari V8 way wrong. That's interesting considering everybody thought the sidepods were a bit too small. I guess they actually are!
I love to love Senna.

m3_lover

In Bernards picture, the chimneys are connected to the Downforce winglets (are they called X wings?), are not those chimneys there to direct airflow around them (besides the obvious of extracting hot air from the engine).

So my question is since the air is being deflected they are not hitting the middle of that winglet but more inside the winglet surface area, would it not be better to move the chimney forward so when the air hits the winglet it is using all the surface area of that winglet?

Is this making sense lol I am getting confused with all that writin
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

zac510
zac510

m3_lover, I think the problem is that those little winglets' primary objective is not to produce downforce. There are a few pieces of evidence that point towards this and the fact that they are not in proper airflow is one of them.

I think they are there to 'shape' the air that exits the cooling vent up over the rear wheel and any downforce they create is just a bonus. But I can't find any further quotes to confirm this. It is purely speculation on my part!

manchild
manchild

ginsu wrote:Image
Is it just me or does the v-keel look alot bigger/heavier than it needs to be? Are they doing it for drag purposes? I guess they could be, but itt doesn't make too much sense to me unless it's a structural issue.
That is whay I called it a tunnel two months ago when there were no simmilar pics available :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=1691&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
manchild wrote:I think that it is not similar V keel as the one Renault had, RB2 seams to have V shaped tunnel directing air that enters it directly below the floor or at splitter... It is hard to tell from these pics

http://www.f1grandprix.it/download/wall ... _RB2/7.jpg

Looks a lot like mixture of inlets between F16 and Crusader. Left and right upper ends of "V" at first glance look wider than upper part of the chassis.

http://students.ceid.upatras.gr/~kourou ... es/F16.jpg

http://frenchnavy.free.fr/aircraft/crus ... er_015.JPG

I’ve been editing those photos in corel and the reason V-keel on RB2 looks so dark inside is in what I’ve suggested before – it is a tunnel reaching all the way to bargeboards and that is why it is so dark even on highly brightened photo. Simply the light can’t penetrate sideways like it can on R25 and that is why the end of it can’t be seen.
BTW, the angle and position of sides of Vee suggests that keel on RB2 actualy generates downforce since it is wider and lower at front and higher and narrower and its end.