Ferrari F2006

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

that is assuming it is what we think it is and it is indeed not legal under the rule.....knowing F1 the other team probably saw it WAY before we did and did nothing about it....

manchild
manchild

Two vertical struts for Ferrari (hope that strut is the right word). Also, check out the hot air outlet above the diffuser.

bernard
bernard

I've been thinking about these vertical struts that are now the fashionable way to support the rearwing.
Isn't that actually a great way to double the effects of flexing wings? I mean, the lower element stays relatively static, while the upper one can have flex, meaning that the upper element will seal the gap and lead to the desired effect of flexing wings? :-k
Because although it's structurally a better solution, it creates certain aerodynamic inconvenience that wouldn't necessarily be worth the structural advantages alone.
Anyone else thought of this?

EDIT: actually now that I think of it, it would be enough to just make the lower element stronger, which is what the teams have been doing. So that doesn't explain the beams. I guess the reasoning is just structural.
Last edited by bernard on 26 Jan 2006, 23:16, edited 2 times in total.

bernard
bernard

manchild wrote: Also, check out the hot air outlet above the diffuser.
I can't see it. Do you mean under the rear impact structure of where do you see it?

manchild
manchild

Yes, just below the rear light. I noticed the same on R26 but I don't heave the link to pic now.

ginsu
ginsu

Also, check out the hot air outlet above the diffuser.
That's interesting, is that what they're talking about when they say that the
sidepods 'are hollowed at the rear'?
I love to love Senna.

manchild
manchild

Ferrari has very high vertical left and right sides of diffuser while other cars without the gills aslo seam to let the hot air out above the diffuser but their whole package looks much smaller (Renault, Toyota)

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

kkobayash wrote:dont know bout you guys, but do you really think FIA would penalise Ferrari?? :?
If the evidence was there, and usually it's supplied by competitors. Each team watch each other for any advantage, and if they can assemble valid proof, they won't hesitate to submit the evidence to the FIA, or anyone else, to make the competitor suffer a penalty. The BAR two race suspension was initiated by some party outside of the FIA.
It's debatable whether Ferrari get such hidden support from the FIA big boys (please, I know everyone has thier opinion), but even they cannot fight hard evidence, especially when lawyers and the press suddenly get involved.

Spencifer_Murphy

About the diffuser manchild mentioned, are you certain its a hot-air outlet, and not a reflex curve or some such device within the diffuser???

And if it is a hot-air outlet, how does this effect the diffuser...if at all??
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

janus
janus

the 2006 its a very "clean" car but that front wing ??? sucks dont know if its work the williams front wing and nose looks much better the rest of the car i think is good but the side pots could be smaller if think for that matter i think its beacause ferrari has a verry strong an powerfull engine.
The front suspension its was good to stay normal...

But what is intrigim ot me is the floor of the car the 2005 had problem beacause of the rules change on the front puting a front wing a little up cause the wind to increase to the floor and they coud not extrat the extra air resulting in a decresing genereal downforce

Reca
Reca

allan wrote: i've just read that ferrari are going to change to V keel front suspension setup((italian magazine))
any information about that?
I buy every week both Sportautomoto and Autosprint, most important magazines of the sector in Italy and the ones international press usually quotes (Autosport often quotes interviews published in Autosprint), and I didn’t find the suggestion that Ferrari is going to switch to V keel, certainly not after the car was tested.
On Autosprint there was, last week (it was published couple of days after the shakedown), a reference, just a row, to already planned changes in suspension geometry in the next few months (+ new front wing etc etc), but to me it looks like they mean slight modifications on position of attachments, usual practice during a season and hardly noticeable from outside, not a radical switch to the V-keel, they would have specified it if that was the case; I wouldn’t exclude that it’s a problem of translation / interpretation that lead to the rumour you heard. Then everything can be obviously, but I would think that, if they wanted to adopt the v-keel, it would be already on the car.
During previous weeks on non specialized newspapers there were indeed rumours about the possibility that the new Ferrari was going to adopt raised wishbones at the front, but that was before the first test and it’s now a pretty usual thing... since 2002 before the debut of the new Ferrari it’s normal to read vague articles saying “we know from anonymous sources at Ferrari/people close to the factory/Santa Claus that the new car will have twin keel/no keel/ v keel/ 245 keels”... then the new car is launched...
In 2002 I trusted the rumour, in 2003 I was very sceptical, since 2004 I simply avoid to read articles with previews about the new Ferrari before the launch. Especially because every year I’m more and more convinced that Ferrari people want the keel to be exactly where it is.
bernard wrote: I've been thinking about these vertical struts that are now the fashionable way to support the rearwing.
I believe in Ferrari case the two struts are related to the fact that the wing lower element, with very short chord, is attached to the, relatively thin, walls of the additional channel instead of being attached to the central part of the crushable structure as it happens in all the other cars. An additional benefit is that reducing the load on the RWEP you can adopt a more complex shape for the RWEP itself, more difficult if it has a relevant structural function.

At the end, for the discussion about the fins on the brake ducts and the inclination of the suspension arms, maybe a look to F1 technical rules could answer some questions and remove doubts about legality.

In 2006 rules there’s a modification (clarification) on the rule on bodywork movement and brake ducts [in bold the parts added this year] :
3.15 Aerodynamic influence :
With the exception of the cover described in Article 6.5.2 (when used in the pit lane) and the ducts
described in Article 11.4, any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance :
- Must comply with the rules relating to bodywork.
- Must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not having any degree of freedom).
- Must remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.
[...]

11.4 Air ducts :
Air ducts around the front and rear brakes will be considered part of the braking system and shall not protrude beyond :
- a plane parallel to the ground situated at a distance of 160mm above the horizontal centre line of the wheel ;
- a plane parallel to the ground situated at a distance of 160mm below the horizontal centre line of the wheel ;
- a vertical plane parallel to the inner face of the wheel rim and displaced from it by 120mm toward the centre line of the car.
It’s interesting they introduced the clarification this year because, as Scarbs mentioned, McLaren adopts often the same solution, although on the lower edge of the rim, they use it since 2003 at least and nobody did complain about it for few years; then Ferrari introduces a similar solution in Monaco 2005 and instantly in the paddock and in some internet forums (not here, not until now at least ;-)) a “burn the cheater” fight starts and FIA has to clarify the rule...

As for suspension members, no modifications for 2006.
10.3 Suspension members :
10.3.1 The cross-sections of each member of every suspension component must have an aspect ratio no greater than 3.5:1 and be symmetrical about its major axis. All suspension components may however have sections with an aspect ratio greater than 3.5:1, and be non-symmetrical, provided these are adjacent to their inner and outer attachments and form no more than 25% of the total distance between the attachments of the relevant member.
All measurements will be made perpendicular to a line drawn between the inner and outer attachments of the relevant member.

10.3.2 No major axis of a cross section of a suspension member may subtend an angle greater than 5° to the reference plane when measured parallel to the centre line of the car.
With 25% of the length absolutely free and with 5° for the other part you can do lot of things...

zac510
zac510

Reca, do you have photos of this 245 keel option? :lol: :lol:

TryHard
TryHard

only picture I have found so far... looks more like a single keel than a V

And with regards to the diffuser, I was reading Craig Scarboroughs F248 technical analysis on the Autosport-Atlas website, and aparently it is a triple section central tunnel.
I quote

"It is however the diffuser that is most radically different from the opposition, as it sports an unusual three-stage set-up through the central tunnel.

The tunnel walls reach as high as the beam wing and feature two internal horizontal splitters. The duct formed at the top of the diffuser sucks air from the stepped floor, while the next section below sucks from the side tunnels and then there is the usual floor level ramp used to pull air from under the plank.

Using this arrangement, the set-up will prevent low pressure leaking from side channels and the floor, theoretically making each section as efficient as it can be."

So not a cooling outlet really.

HiH
Ed

manchild
manchild

So, I was wrong about upper part of diffuser... he who guesses :oops:
:wink:

Single it is

BTW, look how thin the tyres must be when they are stored like this!

ginsu
ginsu

I had no idea that F1 tyres were so thin. That is truly amazing considering how long they last. I wonder what tyre pressures they run at? It must make them very sensitive to the pressure. I wonder how much they weigh, too.
I love to love Senna.