WilliamsF1 FW28

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Spencifer_Murphy

Yeah i remember Honda used a quick-shift gearbox of somesort, I think it was in 2004 when they were being quite innovative...around the same time as their FTT system.

Also mclaren tested a twin clutch car before didnt they...the MP4-18X
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

jezzwa

Yes Honda got an award i recall for gearbox design or something along those lines.
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

Timstr
Timstr

jezzwa wrote:Yes Honda got an award i recall for gearbox design or something along those lines.
In a recent interview I read, Geoff Willis said they have been running a quick-shift box since 2004.

The award you are referring to was for the carbon-fibre maincase, not for the quick-shift mechanism.

manchild
manchild

FW28 on track

that ride heights high!

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

Anonymous wrote:that ride heights high!
it's 'coz the car is running in the wet.

manchild
manchild

The sidepods and inlet are very small indeed. The white paint makes that area appear larger than it really is.

front wing detail :D

Spencifer_Murphy

Ummm, have they have re-introduced the Renault-esque blades on the FWEP's, or are they just testing them to evaluate their performance with the new triple-element FW???

scarbs
scarbs

Its always struck me that these cascades on the endplates, when added to a triple element front wing are contravening the maximum three element rule for front and rear wings!

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

scarbs wrote:Its always struck me that these cascades on the endplates, when added to a triple element front wing are contravening the maximum three element rule for front and rear wings!
hehe, it looks like there is 5 planes there at one point.

I didn't know the 3 plane rule applied to the front wings. Surely since BAR were prohibited from running their trick rear wing the rest would be prohibited from running these trick front wings. :? Although, then again, it is only testing - it doesn't have to be legal.

Come on Mark, give it stick. We (and your sponsors) are dying to see what it can do!

bernard
bernard

scarbs wrote:Its always struck me that these cascades on the endplates, when added to a triple element front wing are contravening the maximum three element rule for front and rear wings!
I thought I read an interview with Mclaren's senior aerodynamicist (the name escapes me) and in it he mentioned they are allowed to place as many elements on the front wing as they like, unlike at the rear. But he said the optimal solution is two or three elements.

Edit: here it is.

Mclaren senior aerodynamicist Doug McKiernan
The front wing must not exceed 1400mm across, by 550mm deep and 200mm high. However, there is no limit on the number of aerofoils within that specified area – unlike the rear wing, which is restricted to two. “In theory,” says Doug, “we could run 30, 40 or even more elements. However, typically we fit just three and this can drop to as few as two for a low-downforce circuit, such as Monza in Italy.”
:wink:

Spencifer_Murphy

Even if the FW had to be limited to three elements, the blades on the FWEP's of the FW28 dont reach across the entire span of the FW...are they therefore classified as elements?