2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
acidtech
acidtech

Re: 2014 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne 13-16th March

basti313
basti313

Just_a_fan wrote:
tomazy wrote:
Francesc wrote:I didn't know where to ask this... Does anyone know what's up with the live timing? It seems the sector times and top speeds won't be available this season... :evil:
http://www.formula1.com/live_timing/liv ... popup.html

It has changed, and as far as I can see, only dots of difirent color (yelow=nothing ordinary, green= personal best, purple=overall best?) are given to sector times, no more time (even if it was rounded to the tenth). if that is the case, I dont like it ](*,)

I hope that they stay on what it was, or do better not worse. It was allready hard folowing testing with the limited information we had compared to the previous years :(
I wouldn't be surprised if, in the near future, they require you to buy an app from them to get detailed time info. Anything to wring a few more coins from the brand. :(
They tried last year...what was the price? Something round 15Euro I remember for a app that never really functioned. I tried to use it twice and never succeeded, it showed "demo" during the race.

So, the good old Java F1 live timing works brilliant for me. I just open it in full screen mode on my laptop, put the laptop on the table and watch F1 on TV.
I hope with sector times coming back, the new F1 App for Android also has dots on the pictures in the play store.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Juzh

Just use this desktop program:

F1 live timing download

Contains driver tracker, timing data and much more.

edit. it seems no .exe file is included in that zip.. not sure why. Home page is down at the moment, but author is saying he's doing some updates or something like that and that it should be resolved by friday.
Last edited by Juzh on 13 Mar 2014, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

iotar__

C. Whiting has spoken on many things.
The part about lifting and coasting when someone else is behind you is hilarious http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112882 "If a driver is going to back off unexpectedly, he has to make sure that another driver is not close to him." Hmm, I didn't know that, I guess this is the bigger driver influence part under new rules Magnussen was talking about :wink:. Wouldn't that give advantage to the one behind in fuel saving competition?

About death-trap no turbo cover - some vague: "Whiting also mentioned that all manufacturers had now addressed the issue surrounding turbo containment in the event of a failure." http://www.pitpass.com/51030/Whiting-cl ... 2014-rules There's no original quote, they imply: "while Whiting wouldn't confirm which supplier had done what or how, he did state no manufacturer had 'added bits,' effectively confirming Ferrari has fallen in to line". For me it rather looks like no one will protest or talk about it.
Edit:
They'll have cover but later (AMuS). It's perfectly safe and FIA approved yet they're changing it - makes perfect sense in F1.
Last edited by iotar__ on 13 Mar 2014, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

kubiczech
kubiczech

I wouldn't be surprised if, in the near future, they require you to buy an app from them to get detailed time info. Anything to wring a few more coins from the brand. :(
They tried last year...what was the price? Something round 15Euro I remember for a app that never really functioned. I tried to use it twice and never succeeded, it showed "demo" during the race.

So, the good old Java F1 live timing works brilliant for me. I just open it in full screen mode on my laptop, put the laptop on the table and watch F1 on TV.
I hope with sector times coming back, the new F1 App for Android also has dots on the pictures in the play store.
Android app has sector times, you have to put device into landscape + there are 5 more screens with more data swiping to the sides, ... in portrait mode there are dots, becouse there is not enough space. Last years Android app worked well, this year it is completely new, for live timing you have to (in app) purchase for 10€... cheaper than last years, but still pretty expensive compared to android app price standard :-(

Good thing is you can (at least last year you could) replay live timing session so i have all information when i watch prerecorded races
Last edited by kubiczech on 13 Mar 2014, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

Darknight
Darknight

Juzh wrote:Just use this desktop program:

F1 live timing download

edit. it seems no .exe file is included in that zip.. not sure why. Home page is down at the moment, but author is saying he's doing some updates or something like that and that it should be resolved by friday.
On another note I just downloaded the 2014 APP for my ipad and have to say that I am very pleased that I only have to pay $10.99 for the full features!!!! Much better than previous years when it was $40+

blokkie
blokkie

F1 live timing download

Juzh .. it's a linux app and the source code is there .. you won't have an .exe :-)

To install it you need linux or have cygwin installed on windows and then do
To compile and install F1LT you need Qt >= 4.7. Compilation and installation is done in 3 steps:
qmake
make
make install

that will generate the binary (though not a .exe)

And that just to far off-topic I want to go .. if you need help for that you can message me

Juzh

blokkie wrote:

F1 live timing download

Juzh .. it's a linux app and the source code is there .. you won't have an .exe :-)

To install it you need linux or have cygwin installed on windows and then do
To compile and install F1LT you need Qt >= 4.7. Compilation and installation is done in 3 steps:
qmake
make
make install

that will generate the binary (though not a .exe)

And that just to far off-topic I want to go .. if you need help for that you can message me
haha tnx for that, i'm not into linux and all that. It's strange though because i've got a working windows version. Gonna upload it somewhere if homepage still doesn't work in couple of days.

f1316
f1316

iotar__ wrote:C. Whiting has spoken on many things.
The part about lifting and coasting when someone else is behind you is hilarious http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112882 "If a driver is going to back off unexpectedly, he has to make sure that another driver is not close to him." Hmm, I didn't know that, I guess this is the bigger driver influence part under new rules Magnussen was talking about :wink:. Wouldn't that give advantage to the one behind in fuel saving competition?

About death-trap no turbo cover - some vague: "Whiting also mentioned that all manufacturers had now addressed the issue surrounding turbo containment in the event of a failure." http://www.pitpass.com/51030/Whiting-cl ... 2014-rules There's no original quote, they imply: "while Whiting wouldn't confirm which supplier had done what or how, he did state no manufacturer had 'added bits,' effectively confirming Ferrari has fallen in to line". For me it rather looks like no one will protest or talk about it.
Edit:
They'll have cover but later (AMuS). It's perfectly safe and FIA approved yet they're changing it - makes perfect sense in F1.
Maybe they figured a way it could benefit them? Maybe it's a way to make engine changes on grounds of safety (i.e. if you have to put a cover in, you might have to move other things around to accomodate and that moving around - very technical, I know - can be beneficial)?

Why else change it if you don't have to?

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

ecapox wrote:Hopefully the less experienced drivers will crash out quickly. Then we can see the true drivers handle a new car with a new powerband with surgical precision. I'm excited!
And this is why I stopped reading this thread. Seriously? #-o

ecapox

ChrisDanger wrote:
ecapox wrote:Hopefully the less experienced drivers will crash out quickly. Then we can see the true drivers handle a new car with a new powerband with surgical precision. I'm excited!
And this is why I stopped reading this thread. Seriously? #-o
Good thing you quoted a tongue-in-cheek reply from 5 days ago.

You should also continue to read on, it's a pretty good thread, albeit maybe not quite up to your level of excellence, but you never know....

iotar__

f1316 wrote:
Maybe they figured a way it could benefit them? Maybe it's a way to make engine changes on grounds of safety (i.e. if you have to put a cover in, you might have to move other things around to accomodate and that moving around - very technical, I know - can be beneficial)?

Why else change it if you don't have to?
I doubt it but it's rather surprising. I though it was deemed safe and legal.

(According to the article) it will take them several races to implement, it's not simple - especially early in the season when many other modifications are needed, weight is a factor. I think it's one of those unofficial behind the scenes agreements, they thought they could push the boundaries and get away with it but FIA is rather touchy when it comes to safety. To be clear I don't think it's a "death trap" but the line of thinking may be: even if it's 99,99999% safe no one wants to be responsible if something goes wrong even if the chance of it happening is 0,00001%.

mikeerfol

FP1 will last 2 hours right? Because of the extra set of tyres rule.. But according to the official timetable it will last 90 minutes?

http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail ... table.html

Gridlock

FP1 is 2 hours, I think, yes.

FP3 might be a ghost town:

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/03/13/team ... heir-cars/

gray41

Did the two hour rule get passed through?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***