MidlandF1 M16

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Merlin
Merlin

Scuderia_Russ wrote:I fear they'll need more than the Force to get results with this car.
That Colonial Viper is from BattleStar Gallactica I think though, they don't even have the Force! :lol:

manchild
manchild

Anonymous wrote:No wonder that car seemed quite familiar :D

http://modelingmadness.com/contests/sci ... lViper.jpg
Oh god... I haven't seen that one 20 years! :)

Was I truned on as a kid on Galactica! 8)

Stu Phillips - Battlestar Galactica I've downloaded it :oops:

Anonymous wrote:Image

the lower element in this picture is interesting. It is not connected to the sidepod but rather a vertical turning vain. I would like Tomba's or Scarbs point of view on this detail, to me it looks like a valid idea in that it alows for cleaner air to the defuser but still develops some down force and possibly a small reduction in drag by moving air over the rear tire rather than into it.
I just noticed that Honda is also using it

manchild
manchild

Which engine this one is? Is that Toyota V10 (I can't see the how many pipes in manifold are there...)?

If it is new Toyota V8 than it has completely different exhaust than one Toyota team will be using

:shock:

schumiGO

Yep mate you are right..

Toyite use the same exaust system like you can see in midland...

And exaust in foto with engine it's just a joke))

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Anonymous wrote:
the lower element in this picture is interesting. It is not connected to the sidepod but rather a vertical turning vain. I would like Tomba's or Scarbs point of view on this detail, to me it looks like a valid idea in that it alows for cleaner air to the defuser but still develops some down force and possibly a small reduction in drag by moving air over the rear tire rather than into it.
Yeah, it directs air towards the centre of the diffuser where the angle of attack can much more aggressive, so it will give a little bit more downforce (although alot of the flow will leak back to the "outside" every little bit helps).

It will also help move the stagnation point infront of the rear tyre, probably also reducing it by generating a lateral velocity ahead of the wheel.

Dunno why it took so long for the F1 teams to get this on their cars... my doodles have had it for years :oops: :)

Note also it looks like there is a very small lip (bit like a gurney flap) at the back of the floor ahead of the rear wheel.

janus
janus

who is the 1º drivers of midlan m16 after all

midland f1 never say that this appen....... tiago is being put back again until whe defeat again is team mate like last year. maybe than they realisy the potencial of the man.............................

Tiago Monteiro’s test program did not go exactly as planned, the Portuguese driver forced to suffer through his initial discovery of the new M16 due to an unfortunate delay in the arrival of his seat. Despite this, Tiago made a point of carrying out a certain amount of laps around the Spanish circuit at the wheel of the car that will take part in the 2006 Formula One world championship.

“It was a logistical problem that prevented me from receiving my seat in time at Jerez, so therefore I had to take the wheel of theM16 in Christijan Albers seat, which was far from ideal," grimaced Tiago. "I had a big problem in terms of visibility and it was impossible for me to carry out the planned test program. However, we could still evaluate various types of Bridgestone tyres and collect information that will be invaluable in the immediate future."

"All the same, I was able to have a good first impression of the new car, which is already faster than old Jordan. I therefore await better tomorrow to continue my planned testing session"

ginsu
ginsu

The M16 is an evolution of the Jordan EJ15 B introduced in the latter part of last season. The car may not be revolutionary, but its aerodynamic concept sports most of the fashionable elements seen on the majority of recent cars. Particularly evident are the big winglets and turning vanes (1) in front of the shrunken sidepod bottoms, and the complex series of bargeboards (2) placed close to the splitter under the cockpit area.
I love to love Senna.

ranger
ranger

does this car barge boardes or not?

Quote:the lower element in this picture is interesting. It is not connected to the sidepod but rather a vertical turning vain. I would like Tomba's or Scarbs point of view on this detail, to me it looks like a valid idea in that it alows for cleaner air to the defuser but still develops some down force and possibly a small reduction in drag by moving air over the rear tire rather than into it.
You never know what's going to happen. - Daniel

scarbs
scarbs

YES, the midland does have barboards and very similar ones to last years jordan. theres a complex front board between the suspension (the rear of which is the right hand item arrowed as 2), then a vane attached to the shadow plate (the middle item arrowed as 2).
The other items Fillisetti has arrowed (the lefthand item 2 and item 3) are floor level fins. Above these is the shoulder wing (an originally Jordan idea).

these all improve flow under towards the diffuser and around the sidepods.

djones
djones

That engine is so low!!

I always thought they were higher up than that.