MotoGP 2014

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Re: MotoGP 2014

We need to get Alex Espargio in the honda factory alongside Marquez, I can't tell if Marquez is legitimately that much faster than the rest of the field or if dani is under performing on that bike.

NathanOlder

Marquez is that fast im afraid. Dani has been blown away, Casey always seemed to better Dani, but not like Marquez does. I think Jorge would be the only challenger. I dont think Aleix has got it.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

eniacon

NathanOlder wrote:Marquez is that fast im afraid. Dani has been blown away, Casey always seemed to better Dani, but not like Marquez does. I think Jorge would be the only challenger. I dont think Aleix has got it.
Lead boots wouldn't slow him down at this stage!!! Cant see anyone sticking the pace with him over the season, maybe a race here or there but not a hope over a season. Only way he can't win the championship is if he gets sidelined for a few months.

Cam

NathanOlder wrote:Marquez is that fast im afraid. Dani has been blown away, Casey always seemed to better Dani, but not like Marquez does. I think Jorge would be the only challenger. I dont think Aleix has got it.
Yep. This also demonstrates how the driver (or rider in this instance) does make a difference, even in great machinery. Dani has had awesome equipment for years, although never winning the main prize, he did manage to consistently thoroughly beat his teammate - until Stoner and then Marquez came along, both of whom just got more out of the machinery than Dani could (2012 not-withstanding for obvious reasons).

Marquez is the real deal.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Aleix is super fast but likes throwing the bike down the road during the race, I think that might be partially because he has the push his bike that bit more than the top guys to get the performance - so can't really read into that too much

Jorge I think is stuck in his riding style, I can't see him changing his style to adapt to the new looser style.

This Marquez guy is incredible because he is super fast, is a great racer and doesn't bottle it, and even more scarily he thinks his way through races. He doesn't have a weakness.

I wish we could see stoner against him, only person capable I feel at the moment
Last edited by JimClarkFan on 28 Apr 2014, 15:27, edited 2 times in total.

Cam

JimClarkFan wrote:This Marquez guy is incredible because he is super fast, is a great racer and doesn't bottle it, and even more scarily he thinks his way through races. He doesn't have a weakness.
Marquez was always fearless, sometimes to his own detriment. This last race has shown the 'thinking' racer he is becoming. Who ever is mentoring him is bang on. He just sat behind Jorge. When the time was right he simply slipped past and smashed out a few fastest laps. As his competitor, this must now be very difficult to reconcile. Wild, fearless, fast, while restrained and considered when required. In any sport, he is almost the benchmark. Let's hope the sporting world takes it for what is - a joyous moment in time. It's sportsmen like this old men tell stories about. We're luckily enough to see it live.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

kooleracer
kooleracer

Marquez is good, but the Honda is also more comfortable achieving greater lean angles. Lorenzo has always been the guy with the most extreme lean angles. But know even Pedrosa has higher lean angles. But you have to say that Marquez is in a league of his own at the moment. I would love to see Jorge go to Honda so we can who is better. But i would put my money on Marquez. Winning the championship in his rookie year just says everything about this kid. Good to see that Vale is back on his game, he could have finished 2 his race peace was better then Lorenzo that mistake cost him dear and his coming together with Bradl ruined his race completely.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

kooleracer wrote:Marquez is good, but the Honda is also more comfortable achieving greater lean angles. Lorenzo has always been the guy with the most extreme lean angles. But know even Pedrosa has higher lean angles. But you have to say that Marquez is in a league of his own at the moment. I would love to see Jorge go to Honda so we can who is better. But i would put my money on Marquez. Winning the championship in his rookie year just says everything about this kid. Good to see that Vale is back on his game, he could have finished 2 his race peace was better then Lorenzo that mistake cost him dear and his coming together with Bradl ruined his race completely.
It isn't just the lean angle, though that is certainly part of what Marc has brought, it is what he does with the back wheel on corner entry and mid corner, and his ability to handle instability on that bike.

things I have noticed:
-turn in; he uses the rear wheel to scrub off speed by throwing it out meaning he brakes later
-turn in; ny throwing the rear wheel out he turns the rear of the bike under braking making the corner shorter
-mid corner; he puts the power on and spins up the rear using the honda's great 'slip' and guides the bike by using the rear
-exit; with his rear wheel still a few inches out of line and pointing in actual he wants to exit, he straightens the front wheel and can more aggressively get on full power because the rear wheels are already in the direction he wants to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t7RiKMUsDc

Now Danny does this to, to a degree, Stoner did as well, but Marquez seems to have perfected it.

turbof1

He has a weakness: bad starts. He really tumbled down the grid. He held his cool, but others were falling off their bikes. It enlarges the chance that marquez gets thrown off his bike by a different sliding bike.
#AeroFrodo

SGeorge
SGeorge

Didnt Marquez have a harder tyre compound thoguh - so he was slower

eniacon

SGeorge wrote:Didnt Marquez have a harder tyre compound thoguh - so he was slower
He used the Hard rear, compared to Dani and Jorge who ran Medium. Harder tyres are only slower if you can't make them work. Not an issue for Marquez in the 40 degree track temp in Argentina.

zonk
zonk

eniacon wrote:
SGeorge wrote:Didnt Marquez have a harder tyre compound thoguh - so he was slower
He used the Hard rear, compared to Dani and Jorge who ran Medium. Harder tyres are only slower if you can't make them work. Not an issue for Marquez in the 40 degree track temp in Argentina.
You are wrong all used hard rear, Lorenzo and Dani medium front, Marquez and Rossi hard front.
The warmer conditions resulted in all riders selecting the hardest rear slick option available; hard compound for Factory Yamaha and Honda riders, and medium compound for the Ducati and open-class entrants. Front tyre choice saw six of the twenty-three starters select the hard compound front slick, with the remaining seventeen riders selecting the medium compound front. Tyre performance throughout the race remained consistent, with Pedrosa setting the fastest lap time of the race on lap twenty-two.
source http://www.bridgestonemotorsport.com/ch ... grand_prix

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9hApGhIeP4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DCAQp16pI[/youtube]

Marc Could Beat Himself... That amount of talent should be illegal really. If everyone stays fit and healthy from here on in.....this season is done already!
Last edited by zonk on 29 Apr 2014, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

eniacon

[quote="zonk"]

You are wrong all used hard rear, Lorenzo and Dani medium front, Marquez and Rossi hard front.

[quote]

Ok, honest mistake.

SGeorge
SGeorge

wonder how Marquez would have faired against a younger Rossi..... now that would have been a battle.

bdr529

JimClarkFan wrote:
things I have noticed:
-turn in; he uses the rear wheel to scrub off speed by throwing it out meaning he brakes later
-turn in; ny throwing the rear wheel out he turns the rear of the bike under braking making the corner shorter
-mid corner; he puts the power on and spins up the rear using the honda's great 'slip' and guides the bike by using the rear
-exit; with his rear wheel still a few inches out of line and pointing in actual he wants to exit, he straightens the front wheel and can more aggressively get on full power because the rear wheels are already in the direction he wants to go.
What you are describing is Flat Track racing. Used by todays riders as training tool.
Roberts,Spencer,Lawson,Rainey,Hayden They all raced flat track when they were coming up through the ranks