The new V6 Turbo engine sounds

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the new engine sounds?

Love it!
14%
Pretty good, better than the V8s
10%
Pretty good, but not as good as the V8s
11%
Acceptable
18%
Don't really like it
15%
They've taken its soul away
32%

Total votes: 241

strad

Re: The new V6 Turbo engine sounds

For quite some time F1 has sold/promoted itself on the spectacle which has long included the noise/sound.
This kiddy car sound greatly detracts from the spectacle. F1 has long since ceased to be solely about the racing. There is a huge segment that will blanch at this sound and turn elsewhere for their excitement and spectacle.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Kinetics_Mike21
Kinetics_Mike21

I bet the V8's created such a dominating presence, vibrating everything and anything if close enough. It's a shame I missed them in Austin. However, I do enjoy the accessory sounds from these engines. When the drivers lift, a wonderfully futuristic noise resonates and I'm fine with it. Then again, I may be biased for never experiencing a larger F1 engine in person. To each their own.

bhall
bhall

Aesto wrote:I don't see what the big deal is. F1 is awesome because of the racing, the technology, and the strategy, not because of the sound. I'm surprised people on F1Technical actually care about something as subjective, arbitrary and emotional as sound.

I've seen/heard the old V10s at an actual racetrack, and quite frankly, I don't even miss those.

If anything, I'm somewhat happier with the new V6 engines because they sound less annoying than the V8s.
In other words, you're surprised some folks don't have opinions that more closely resemble your opinion? :wink:

But, seriously...

There's nothing wrong with an appreciation for the aesthetic value of Formula One. After all, it is just entertainment.

And it's also the chief reason why F1 cars still have open wheels and open cockpits. Both impose absolutely colossal penalties on performance, yet they remain fixtures of F1 simply because that's how F1 fans think F1 cars should look. It's purely aesthetic, just like engine noise.

rjsa
rjsa

What's really pisses me off is the likes of Racecar Engineering and another couple journos campaigning to disregard the sound change. F1 moves around more money than any other racing series by how much? Ten fold? Hundred fold?

Those who pay the bill care about the show, not batteries, relays and generator/motor units. Or fuel efficiency for that matter, because if it mattered, it would be LMP1's diesels the star on TV shows and monday papers.

And the show's been lacking a lot in racing, aesthetics and now they killed the sound. How long those will be willing to pay?

Those who pay the bill: expectators graciously provide their eyes for viewing TV, track, car, print and web advertising.

EDIT: The expectator will also pay for admision, tv subscription and live timing, let's not forget that, they pay to see ads.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Perhaps all you lovers of quiet racing would enjoy Formula E?

I go to F1 races to escape reality. To see the best drivers driving the fastest, loudest most outrageous cars in the world. Not to conserve fuel or worry about my hearing or talking to the guy next to me or worrying for the environment. When F1 was in town you knew it. You heard it for miles. Now...?

mrluke
mrluke

Vettel Maggot wrote:Perhaps all you lovers of quiet racing would enjoy Formula E?

I go to F1 races to escape reality. To see the best drivers driving the fastest, loudest most outrageous cars in the world. Not to conserve fuel or worry about my hearing or talking to the guy next to me or worrying for the environment. When F1 was in town you knew it. You heard it for miles. Now...?
If you really want to see the fastest, loudest most outrageous cars in the world you should pay a visit to your local drag strip.

Ted68

Former forum member, and my friend, WRK, was at the race this weekend and had a blast. He said it was strange that the cars are so quiet now that even at 300 kph one doesn't need earplugs anymore. However, he said the racing was great.

As for the rest of the arguments against the new era V6's, these arguments sound just the same as the ones against the V8's at the end of the 3-litre V10 era. Now here we are lamenting the passing of the V8. Therefore I don't see much changing. The engineers will catch up. The drivers and strategists will get used to the new formula and do some great racing. The fans will enjoy it. Bernie will get out of jail at 96 (after purchasing and reorganizing the entire penitentiary system) and lead us to the next era of 1.2-litre, rotary-valve 4-cylinders.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

Sulman
Sulman

Ted68 wrote:Former forum member, and my friend, WRK, was at the race this weekend and had a blast. He said it was strange that the cars are so quiet now that even at 300 kph one doesn't need earplugs anymore. However, he said the racing was great.

As for the rest of the arguments against the new era V6's, these arguments sound just the same as the ones against the V8's at the end of the 3-litre V10 era. Now here we are lamenting the passing of the V8. Therefore I don't see much changing. The engineers will catch up. The drivers and strategists will get used to the new formula and do some great racing. The fans will enjoy it. Bernie will get out of jail at 96 (after purchasing and reorganizing the entire penitentiary system) and lead us to the next era of 1.2-litre, rotary-valve 4-cylinders.
This is the crux of it. The days of balls-out screamers are done, and they have been for a while. It's sad, but you can't turn back the clock. The top supercars being sold at the moment are hybrids...

That being said, racing should always be a mix of passion and engineering, and we all like to get excited. It's hard to get around the fact that an efficient power unit is by definition going to be quieter.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

mrluke wrote:
Vettel Maggot wrote:Perhaps all you lovers of quiet racing would enjoy Formula E?

If you really want to see the fastest, loudest most outrageous cars in the world you should pay a visit to your local drag strip.
You know I typed open wheelers, but I thought no, you'll get the point, but there is always some smart arse on here waiting to jump in at any opportunity.

CHT
CHT

Sulman wrote:
Ted68 wrote:Former forum member, and my friend, WRK, was at the race this weekend and had a blast. He said it was strange that the cars are so quiet now that even at 300 kph one doesn't need earplugs anymore. However, he said the racing was great.

This is the crux of it. The days of balls-out screamers are done, and they have been for a while. It's sad, but you can't turn back the clock. The top supercars being sold at the moment are hybrids...

That being said, racing should always be a mix of passion and engineering, and we all like to get excited. It's hard to get around the fact that an efficient power unit is by definition going to be quieter.
supercar going hybrid is because of emission regulation not because it appeal to their customers. ultimately where money is not an issue, they will still end up with hypercar that are running V12 or even w16.

Sulman
Sulman

CHT wrote:
supercar going hybrid is because of emission regulation not because it appeal to their customers. ultimately where money is not an issue, they will still end up with hypercar that are running V12 or even w16.
Perhaps, but it starts to look redundant when the hybrids are the quicker car.

xpensive
xpensive

langwadt wrote:
xpensive wrote:What they need to do is to revise the fuel-flow mapping, so that you need to reach 13 kRpm to get the full 27.8 g/s.

That should make the engines more peaky and alter the sound-image from the current drone, with the same top-power.
Though it won't change that compared to last year they are now harvesting ~90KW of exhaust energy, That energy used
to be wasted as noise, that one hell of a stereo ...
You will still harvest xhaust energy as the flow will be the same, only the boost reduced, so it should be more.

You wouldn't really change anything within the formula either, instead of 27.8 g/s from 10.5 to 15 kRpm,
you get it from 13 to 15, while you have a linear increase of the flow from zero to there, just like before.

This should also help with this excessive low-Rpm "torque", that the drivers find so troublesome.

At 14 k, the boost will be so low that the sound should be almost atmospheric.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Agenda_Is_Incorrect
Agenda_Is_Incorrect

Sulman wrote: You missed Bottas carving his way forward twice? Ricciardo keeping his RB10 in second?

It's amazing to me what change does to perception. F1 is the same as it's ever been.
The racing was ok. Not bad, not great. It was OK. People confuse the engines having anything to do with the abilities of the new rookies and cars having less downforce. Plus, all the good rookies are on good teams this year
Holm86 wrote:This is true. Better efficiency = less noise. Though I suspect we will have more noise during qualifying in the future at least. When the engines get more reliable teams will start to go to the 15.000 rpm limit instead of just 11-12.000 rpm. And during qualifying the 100kg rule does not exist so teams can dump fuel into the exhaust to get higher turbo compounding values.
Not entirely true. It's a trademark of engines that have higher power to displacement ratios to sound louder and more beautiful. I think there's a confusion among us. There's power efficiency and there is consumption efficiency. Consumption efficiency means losing everything that isn't converted to moving the car (INCLUDING MORE POWER AND LOUDER SOUNDS) in the name of making the most of every droplet of fuel. That's why they rev less as well, they give up on power to be more efficient on fuel

If they managed to (and were allowed to) extract more power and more revs, things should probably get better. If fuel consumption keeps being the goal, I say audience is going to drop so fast something will be done in a matter of months. Maybe they'll enable a development race to the engines (that would be cool)
Sulman wrote:
CHT wrote:
Big difference there. Street high performance hybrids are actually faster than the cars they replace and they don't have such a limited displacement or fuel consumption. This makes them sound great actually, not to mention it makes them even more outrageously expensive
I've been censored by a moderation team that rather see people dying and being shot at terrorist attacks than allowing people to speak the truth. That's racist apparently.

God made Trump win for a reason.

astracrazy
astracrazy

Kinetics_Mike21 wrote:I bet the V8's created such a dominating presence, vibrating everything and anything if close enough.
like you wouldn't know. The hairs on the back of my neck used to stick up everytime the first car would start coming towards me in fp1. I loved it. I loved almost feeling the vibrations.

I liked the fact you couldn't talk to anyone whilst the cars pounded round because you couldn't hear anything else, like someone said, f1 had its own bubble and it was so loud it would feel like you were part of that bubble too for that 1hr or so.

now i guess never again. tv NEVER done the sound justice and in that regard FOM should be ashamed because i feel sorry for anyone who never heard the real sound of at least the v8's

F1 has lost apart of its self 100%.

CHT
CHT

Sulman wrote:
CHT wrote:
the fastest production road car is a W16 engine with 4 turbos and 4 wheel drive. Hypercar is not just about speed, its about going fast loud and in style. If you want speed, then get an Atom.