2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
langwadt
langwadt

Re: 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

Jef Patat wrote:
Rikhart wrote:
Jef Patat wrote: I share your opinion, find it strange that this hasn't been discussed on the forum, or I missed it. Raik is moaning in every press that mag 'destroyed' their race. I saw it differently.
You "see it" different than the very person who got punished for the accident, and fully took the blame for it. Maybe you arent seeing it that well? Just a thought.
Indeed I do. I was also quite amazed that Kevin took the blame, suprisingly humble in my opinion. Kevin might have made a judgement error, but so did Kimi. Kimi made an error, corrected for it without judging correctly where Kevin might have been. If I remember correctly Kevin was what is considered alongside Kimi. That's a double error from Kimi. That's how I saw it, both drivers misjudging, normal racing incident, no big deal.
20.4 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason.
For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvSb0TSjfnE

Kimi turned and drove over Kevins front wing so he must have been along side. Kimi didn't look in his mirrors, Kevin expected Kimi to know he was there, they were both wrong, it was just racing.

I think Kevin mostly took the blame for costing the team points by making a too risky move very early in a long race

Juzh

Hamilton claims he 'blew Rosberg away' in Malaysia

http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/08690

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Well he did.

I think Button's summary of it was reasonable. The question is how will Rosberg respond? If he takes pole and replicates Hamilton's win in Sepang then we know he's not fazed (and the talk of a set up issue in Sepang was possibly true). If Hamilton does it again then we might see Rosberg's shoulders slump a bit. I think it's going to be fascinating to watch these two this year. Rosberg is a lot quicker than some people give him credit for so Hamilton is going to need to be in his "happy place" all season if he's going to hold him back in this car.

I think this, not the Ferrari in-team battle that others have been talking up, will be the one to watch this season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Gaz.
Gaz.

Juzh wrote:Hamilton claims he 'blew Rosberg away' in Malaysia

Mercedes have tweeted a response to that:

MERCEDES AMG F1 ‏@MercedesAMGF1 5m
Was anybody else surprised to hear @LewisHamilton say he "blew away" @nico_rosberg in yesterday's race? So were we! His actual words were...

MERCEDES AMG F1 ‏@MercedesAMGF1 1m
... "today it worked and that is why I was pulling away." A rather unfortunate case of Malaysian whispers. But now you know :) #PriMaxPower
Forza Jules

Pierce89

Jef Patat wrote: Indeed I do. I was also quite amazed that Kevin took the blame, suprisingly humble in my opinion. Kevin might have made a judgement error, but so did Kimi. Kimi made an error, corrected for it without judging correctly where Kevin might have been. If I remember correctly Kevin was what is considered alongside Kimi. That's a double error from Kimi. That's how I saw it, both drivers misjudging, normal racing incident, no big deal.
Kim i was always coming back to the apex. Kevvo didn't really have a gap, he only thought he did.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

iotar__

And they give penalties for that these days? - Rosberg - Massa Hungary, - Alonso - Webber Monza, - Raikkonen - Perez Monaco, - Webber - Rosberg (Malaysia? 2012) - Alonso - Raikkonen (Suzuka 2012), - Raikkonen - Van der Garde Abu Dhabi, - even Alonso - Kvyat was much clearer case of one-sided causing collision
Puncture shouldn't matter, penalties are for collisions not punctures. Neither ran clean proper lines, slight contract and case of "no-one was wholly or predominately to blame". Not that harsh with new 5 s with pitstop and Magnussen raced on borrowed luck anyway, Alonso didn't crash into him in Australia by accident only because his engine didn't work ;-) .

Bianchi's case was even weirder, Massa in Korea(?) 2012 against Alonso was almost identical, Button had at least one of those, Raikkonen/Di Resta already mentioned. On top of that: "...was a consequence of what happened off the start, when Vergne hit me from behind and punctured my left rear tyre,". :?:

dans79

myurr wrote: So I'll say it again, the Renault engine now that it's up and running isn't anywhere near as bad as people have been making out and is roughly par with Ferrari's engine. Mercedes hold an advantage there but their chassis is every bit as fast as the Red Bull with the engine just giving them their current dominance ahead of them. Once Renault achieve parity RBR won't be running into the distance.
The RBR fanboys, are hanging all their hopes on the belief that RBR has the best chassis, and that they aren't winning the Renault PU is crappy.
197 104 103 7

Pierce89

iotar__ wrote:And they give penalties for that these days? - Rosberg - Massa Hungary, - Alonso - Webber Monza, - Raikkonen - Perez Monaco, - Webber - Rosberg (Malaysia? 2012) - Alonso - Raikkonen (Suzuka 2012), - Raikkonen - Van der Garde Abu Dhabi, - even Alonso - Kvyat was much clearer case of one-sided causing collision
Puncture shouldn't matter, penalties are for collisions not punctures. Neither ran clean proper lines, slight contract and case of "no-one was wholly or predominately to blame". Not that harsh with new 5 s with pitstop and Magnussen raced on borrowed luck anyway, Alonso didn't crash into him in Australia by accident only because his engine didn't work ;-) .

Bianchi's case was even weirder, Massa in Korea(?) 2012 against Alonso was almost identical, Button had at least one of those, Raikkonen/Di Resta already mentioned. On top of that: "...was a consequence of what happened off the start, when Vergne hit me from behind and punctured my left rear tyre,". :?:
I thought the penalty was unfair. I just don't understand the people who claim Kevin didn't predominatly cause it. He was not far enough alongside to dive for a nonexistent gap.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Nice try 8) . Here's the original link to that article and they completly changed what he said. You should know better. Lewis would never say that. I knew it was bull as soon as i read your post and read the link you provided.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... -wins.html
Last edited by Emerson.F on 31 Mar 2014, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

gray41

Can we stop posting about Lewis "blowing" Nico.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Juzh

Emerson.F wrote:

Nice try 8) . Here's the original link to that article and they completly changed what he said. You should know better. Lewis would never say that. I knew it was bull as soon as i read your post and read the link you provided.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... -wins.html
I just posted the news. Some other sites also reported the same.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

No prob. The Telegraph are also known for fake headlines like that. You how detracters will react to this. "You see Lewis is an arrogant piece of **** how dare he?"
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

basti313
basti313

gray41 wrote:Can we stop posting about Lewis "blowing" Nico.
Don't do these wordplays. You know what they say about guys with turquoise hats...
Don`t russel the hamster!

gray41

basti313 wrote:
gray41 wrote:Can we stop posting about Lewis "blowing" Nico.
Don't do these wordplays. You know what they say about guys with turquoise hats...

AND PANTS :P
Last edited by gray41 on 31 Mar 2014, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

zeph
zeph

I think the best thing about this article is the closing paragraph:
The development race is going to be ferocious

Formula One teams always develop quickly, but this year it’s going to be more quickly than ever, simply because the cars are brand new, so there is more scope for improvement. Just look at Williams in Sepang.

In pre-season, many were touting them as Mercedes’s closest challengers based on their long run pace in Bahrain. But after a troubled weekend in Australia, through a mixture of rain, a mistake by one driver, and another being taken out at the first corner, it’s fair to say more was expected in Malaysia. Aside from their team orders trouble, both Bottas and Massa finished nearly a lap down.

Have they already lost ground in the development race? By the same token, there is nothing to say that Mercedes will maintain their advantage all season, but at least they have the finances to keep up.
I was not nearly as optimistic about Williams, but add the team order fiasco to yesterday's lack of pace, and I wonder if they have already destroyed their season before it has even began.

Those team orders were the dumbest thing they could have done. It is round 2, FFS, and if Bottas was really fast enough to overtake Button, how come come he could not overtake Massa? Now the tone has been set, and it is very hard to put the genie back in the bottle.

I also missed this astounding bit of info about Alonso:
And you can’t argue with the 32-year-old’s consistency: in both races he has finished almost exactly 35 seconds behind the leader.
Indeed, in Oz he was 35.2 secs behind Rosberg, and yesterday he was 35.9 secs behind Hamilton. :shock: