New F1 Engine for McLaren

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
bernard
bernard

manchild wrote:If they paid 10.000 euros for that mic than they should have bought stative with scope too because that would enable more precise directioning of mic towards the car in the distance and exclude any hand vibration.
Anyone have that photo of the three honda guys with the laptop and the mounted parabola type microphone? :D It seems Honda beats Mercedes in this aspect too. :wink:

manchild
manchild

Perhaps the engine is new but today it sent smoke signals all the way to Woking!

BTW, Fisi 1st, Heiki 2nd :mrgreen:

http://www.f1technical.net/news/1781

+60 HP and more reliability... hilarious :lol:

jgredline

What is that like engine number 3 of the new and improved 60Hp engine?
Mclaren should purchase cosworth and be done with it. They do not need mercedez
To finish first, first you must finish.

Principessa

Check picture of the engine in viewtopic.php?p=17834#17834

mep

Who said that this was a the engine?

The said that they will bring a new engine and a new livery maybe this
week.
Due to the fact that the new livery will hit track next week we can gues
that the new engine will be there next week also.

mep

So the blown engine was an old one.

manchild
manchild

Blown engine was new one, Paffet was using V10 on mp 4/20 while Kimi and Pedro used new V8 on mp 4/21.

Friday, 10th February was the second day of testing for redesigned V8 (if not third).

jgredline

So far three blown NEW STYLE mercedez engines :cry:

jezzwa

imagine how much all the redesign of the engine has cost the company, keeping in mind the v8 were supposed to be cheaper. :wink:
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

ek

Hello everybody,
I do not know what to think about the engines that Mercedes has blown away.
But finally i believe that it is a good think that this is happening to Mercedes.
It is better to blow every single engine now, in testing period and not in the races.
I think that Mercedes is actually experimenting with their engines, and they are pushing to the limit.
This week, i read somewhere that Mercedes is planning more new V8 engines to test before the start of the season.
If this is true then my guess is that Mercedes is heading to the right direction.
And from this week's testing, it was shown that McLaren was very very close to Renault and Honda.
Lets wait and see, but after all this is why testing is for. To test the car to the limit, isn't it?

manchild
manchild

Actually, Mercedes announced that they'll be focusing on reliabilty and test the power later... Unfortunately, their new "reliable and more powerfull" engines started blowing up during first runs without being pushed anywhere near the limit and it showed that the limit was unexpectedly low.

jgredline

Honda, Renault and Cosworth have also made mention they have new more powerful engines coming in time for the first race as well. :shock:

Scuderia_Russ

After reading the recent article in Racecar Engineering with re: Cosworth, I have no doubt whatsoever that it will be the powerplant of the season!

ek wrote: I think that Mercedes is actually experimenting with their engines, and they are pushing to the limit.
This week, i read somewhere that Mercedes is planning more new V8 engines to test before the start of the season.
If this is true then my guess is that Mercedes is heading to the right direction.
And from this week's testing, it was shown that McLaren was very very close to Renault and Honda.
Lets wait and see, but after all this is why testing is for. To test the car to the limit, isn't it?
You don't have time to waste on the test track blowing engines. Bottom line. They do not want engine failures, you never want an engine to fail. Sure the piston rings won't seal as well after awhile, and parts will wear, but you don't want to have any of them fail. Mercedes blowing engines is not, and will not ever be a good sign.

jezzwa

The fact is, the Mercedes engine is unreliable and they will need to make a big leap forward in power and reliability if they want to have any chance this season. [-(
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide