Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
etusch

Re: Honda Power Unit

Toro Rosso Honda confirmation made ?

Redragon

Not yet but there are rumours that Honda has accepted to go to Toro Rosso and announcement would happen Wed or Thu.

here there is the link to article with rummours http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/gp- ... b461e.html

And here an article analizing who wins and loose from the deal https://as.com/motor/2017/09/11/formula ... 21944.html

To my eyes it would be the most stupid move from Mclaren.

They will become a costumer team and loose Honda Money.
There are not gurantees Alonso will continue.
And Redbull could finish if Honda improves next year the only biggest winner, Honda money and exclusive deal looking at 20121.

Bloody good job! hopefully Mclaren would not regret this decision

FW17

This thread will be closed on confirmation.

dren

FW17 wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 16:03
Why? The Honda lump isn't disappearing.
Honda!

FW17

Guys here are Mclaren fans, what traffic do the other engine threads have?

Sure some will come here once in a while to troll, but this thread is as good as dead.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

I am a huge McLaren fan, since 80's along with Williams. But I am also a big Honda fan and never liked Renault, true. Harsh I know but that's why I get passionate about what's going on here.

I am now pretty torn in loyalties because I think McLaren are making a mistake. It's bad to say this but I hope McLaren don't fare much better in 2018 and RB out perform them.

Definitely staying in the Honda thread......debating being in the McLaren one.
Last edited by fellowhoodlums on 11 Sep 2017, 18:58, edited 2 times in total.

MrPotatoHead

nzjrs wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 18:42
FW17 wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 16:03
I'm an engineering fan. I'll stay here because it's interesting to see how Honda walks their path. Don't presume to speak for any of us.
Yepp.
I've always been rooting for Honda inside - I go to Japan about once a year, once to work with Honda R&D actually, so I keep hoping they will make the big steps forward that we all want... but time is running out.

Perhaps there will be a performance clause in the contract to say McLaren can use Honda again if they improve.

Squid
Squid

MrPotatoHead wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 21:12
Perhaps there will be a performance clause in the contract to say McLaren can use Honda again if they improve.
If you were Honda, would you accept such a clause? Honest question, I can see arguments for both yes and no, just curious to know what you guys would do.

MrPotatoHead

Squid wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 21:23
MrPotatoHead wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 21:12
If you were Honda, would you accept such a clause? Honest question, I can see arguments for both yes and no, just curious to know what you guys would do.
Well it could work many ways.
Honda wanted to supply another team before for instance but McLaren wouldn't let them.
But I doubt it will happen.
It will be a harsh divorce "if" it happens.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Redragon wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 16:02
Not yet but there are rumours that Honda has accepted to go to Toro Rosso and announcement would happen Wed or Thu.

here there is the link to article with rummours http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/gp- ... b461e.html

And here an article analizing who wins and loose from the deal https://as.com/motor/2017/09/11/formula ... 21944.html

To my eyes it would be the most stupid move from Mclaren.

They will become a costumer team and loose Honda Money.
There are not gurantees Alonso will continue.
And Redbull could finish if Honda improves next year the only biggest winner, Honda money and exclusive deal looking at 20121.

Bloody good job! hopefully Mclaren would not regret this decision
As long as Renault factory team is not ready to win or to perform overall better than RB&Mclaren they will give those 2 teams their top PU, hardware and software.
Once they are ready they will do the same as Merc is doing to Williams and FI.
I think they will not be ready to beat them at least in 2018.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

wuzak
wuzak

enkidu1978 wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 15:08
I'm still in shock, i've been waiting for three years for Honda to come good. I think McLaren have made the worst mistake ever, they are going to be gutted when TR drives past them next year.
While that is possible, it is unlikely. More likely is Sauber passing TR.

ZakB
ZakB

enkidu1978 wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 15:08
I'm still in shock, i've been waiting for three years for Honda to come good. I think McLaren have made the worst mistake ever, they are going to be gutted when TR drives past them next year.
That's exactly the reason why McLaren will leave Honda. Three years of failing and people still expect Toro Rosso to beat McLaren next year, blows my mind. Honda won't be paying TR 100 million dollars next year.

HPD

Amazing

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

GoranF1 wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 21:29

As long as Renault factory team is not ready to win or to perform overall better than RB&Mclaren they will give those 2 teams their top PU, hardware and software.
Once they are ready they will do the same as Merc is doing to Williams and FI.
I think they will not be ready to beat them at least in 2018.
Do you mean giving them the full engine but not giving them 200mil a year to have the same team budget so having far inferior cars? because I'm pretty sure Renault won't had RBR and Mclaren 200mil to even things up anyway. There is no sign at all that Williams or FI have worse engines in any way than Mercedes. The only difference is upgrades come first and the only reason they don't complain is it works better for them. Merc rush upgrades out with few engines available, Merc test them. If there is a problem Williams/FI wait for a fixed version while Merc have a dodgy version. If FI/Williams insisted on getting engines at the same time they wouldn't get them sooner, they'd get them 1-2 races later when Merc had enough to supply everyone meaning there is zero difference to both teams as neither is remotely close to fast enough to challenge Merc anyway.

Mclaren and RBR would probably however insist on Renault giving all teams the upgrades at the same time but that is because unlike FI/Williams being far lower budget and nowhere near competitive, if and when Renault are competitive it would be a big advantage that the other two wouldn't put up with.

sup3rmario
sup3rmario

GhostF1 wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 00:45
ncassi22 wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 22:08
ziggy wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 20:11

+1
+2
+3

I've always been a big McLaren fan and a Honda fan since I was a kid and that will never change, so it's sad to see this project fizzle out, but I will be behind both of them next year for sure. But the engineering and following Honda's progress since day dot has been what's really suckered me in.
But sign me up for big TR support as well! I like what they do and manage to bring to the table, and now, I'll love to see what they, along with Honda, can do. I still expect this thread to thrive, hopefully in a much a more positive light though!
+4